PDA

View Full Version : Help with funny noise from RB30

dom14
31st January 2014, 01:51 AM
My RB30(carby model) just started making a constant noise after warmed up.
It's apparently coming from hydraulic lifters.
Before, the unit was making lifter noise for few seconds when I cold start it, then goes away.
Now, the noise starts after warm up.
It's ticking noise, coming from engine under the rocker cover. I reckon it started with hot weather.
It only happens on idling.
It's on dual fuel.
The idling is running around 1100rpm at the moment.
I advanced the timing little bit and also raised the idling rpm(on carby) to help with start & warm up.
Not sure if that caused this.
I changed oil and filter not that long ago and it's still good.
I got the head reconditioned exactly two years ago(without doing the valve seats).
I've done around 35k since then.

Any help would be great with locating the noise.

Thanks guys.

P.S. I will post the noise as an audio mp3 file if that helps. Thanx.

BigRAWesty
31st January 2014, 06:43 AM
A diesel man myself, but is it possible that your engine is pinging due to the advanced timing?

Once warmed up the fuel might be igniting early giving a ping sound.
Try retarding the timing a but back to factory maybe And see what happens..

sil3nt_dr3ams
31st January 2014, 07:08 AM
Grab a big screw driver , standard/flatblade since its the longest in the kit. hold the handle put the end of the handle against your ear and then put the tip against anything in the engine bay you should be able to hone in where that noise is coming from. you should be able to isolate the sections thats making the noise your after.

P.S I hope you find whats so funny about your noise . :D

dom14
31st January 2014, 05:37 PM
Changed the heading mate. It's no longer funny. :icon_bonk:
BTW, I decided to get hold of mechanic's stethoscope.
I reckon it may give a better result than a flat screwdriver, right?! :)

Grab a big screw driver , standard/flatblade since its the longest in the kit. hold the handle put the end of the handle against your ear and then put the tip against anything in the engine bay you should be able to hone in where that noise is coming from. you should be able to isolate the sections thats making the noise your after.

P.S I hope you find whats so funny about your noise . :D

slamnsam
2nd February 2014, 10:06 AM
the noise you are explaining is extremely common with rb30's in vl commodores so i assume the same would be correct in your situation. anyway here goes best bet is to pull your rocker cover, remove the rocker blocks, remove the tappets etc. give the whole lot a good soak in degreaser and blow out with compressed air and re assemble. if you still have issues it may need new lifters or have a worn cam

threedogs
2nd February 2014, 10:21 AM
It should only just be pinging on petrol and I mean just.
Gawd I hate dual fuel a real pitb

mudnut
2nd February 2014, 11:37 AM
May sound a little bit silly, but the noise isn't a blown exhaust gasket is it? Just an easy thing to check.

fourj
2nd February 2014, 12:49 PM
Yeah I agree with Mudnut. RB 30s are notorious for breaking exhaust manifold studs, which will cause the leak. Worth looking at, relatively easy fix.

dom14
2nd February 2014, 03:18 PM
It should only just be pinging on petrol and I mean just.
Gawd I hate dual fuel a real pitb

Not possible for me to own a fourby on petrol alone mate. They guzzle way too much petrol on long trips.
It pings or ticks on both fuel. Started with the hot weather. I reckon I start with a tuneup of the carby and the ignition timing, then go down to the lifters and the cam.

dom14
2nd February 2014, 03:21 PM
May sound a little bit silly, but the noise isn't a blown exhaust gasket is it? Just an easy thing to check.

Not at all. I did the head gasket myself not that long ago......well.....two years long ago.
But, haven't done very long trips since then to accumulate lot of kms.
No water leaks(as far as I can see), and no oil water mix. But I'm seriously considering doing the head properly soon with
a fully reconditioned head, suitable for lpg.

dom14
2nd February 2014, 03:27 PM
the noise you are explaining is extremely common with rb30's in vl commodores so i assume the same would be correct in your situation. anyway here goes best bet is to pull your rocker cover, remove the rocker blocks, remove the tappets etc. give the whole lot a good soak in degreaser and blow out with compressed air and re assemble. if you still have issues it may need new lifters or have a worn cam

Thanks mate. as soon as I finish the carby job, I'll get to the lifters and the cams, camshaft.
Only problem I remember was, that the idiot who welded the cracks and machined the head, lost few washers that goes between valve springs, he gave replacement ones, which weren't the right thickness. So, it was putting slightly extra pressure on one or two of the springs. I can't remember which cylinder it was, but as soon as I open the rocker cover, I'll be able to see it.
Was it a good idea to use the 'bad' washers he gave me?!!

P.S. I had to take the head back to him again, 'cos he missed one of the cracks, a pretty obvious one. Embarrassing as it was, it was my GF who noticed the crack, 'cos I was too busy trusting the fella. I knew he was bit of a dud, but didn't have a choice 'cos there was nobody to do the job during x'mas holidays. So, the head had two lots of welding and machining in two days, but didn't have to over machine it though, 'cos I checked the thickness. What I dunno it whether the extra work has weakened head or not.

ctaylor58
12th February 2014, 03:20 PM
This escalated quickly .... The post was about a ticking noise now your talking recon'd heads. I wouldnt bother with replacing the head until you need it mate. I just did a recon head on my RB30 patrol, the cam, rockers etc were reused but were bathed in cleaning fluid and looked mint but still tick. It is really common with RB30's,, they just get a bit sticky and tick when they open / shut. When the revs are higher there is more oil pressure around the lifters so they are better.

ctaylor58
12th February 2014, 03:21 PM
Exhaust is definitely worth looking at aswell as mentioned!

dom14
3rd March 2014, 04:23 AM
Ok. Cool. Thanks for the advice mate.

This escalated quickly .... The post was about a ticking noise now your talking recon'd heads. I wouldnt bother with replacing the head until you need it mate. I just did a recon head on my RB30 patrol, the cam, rockers etc were reused but were bathed in cleaning fluid and looked mint but still tick. It is really common with RB30's,, they just get a bit sticky and tick when they open / shut. When the revs are higher there is more oil pressure around the lifters so they are better.

dom14
4th March 2014, 07:45 AM
This problem sorted out itself without having to do much from my end. I think the cooling whether had an effect?!