PDA

View Full Version : Bad Noises. Front End, maybe Auto Hubs

Shaunous
30th January 2014, 11:38 PM
Well I got a tricky one. I'm guessing it's probably the auto hub, but thought I'd ask if anyone else has had the problem.

It's a grinding rattling noise coming from what sounds like the right front wheel.
If I take off from a stop and drive for some time it will just kick in and start making this noise, now when I slow down to nearly a stop once hearing the noise the car makes a clunk and you can feel the clunk up through the drive line. This has been going on for some months, and doesn't happen every drive, say 2wice a week when driving to work and back mon -Friday, sometimes more often. Even if I haven't. Haven't Used 4x4 for days and it'll still do it.

I can't afford to take the car off the road yet as it's my only ride for now.

the evil twin
31st January 2014, 12:07 AM
Lock the front hub and see if it stops.
Driving around with the hub locked won't hurt anything as long as you don't engage 4WD

Could be a CV or something else but more often than not it's a hub asking to be serviced

4by
31st January 2014, 12:07 AM
Could be cv joint which you can hear clicking when turning. Mine did the same when I bought it and ended up being the auto hubs trying to lock. I removed the auto mechanism from the hubs and all good.

Shaunous
31st January 2014, 07:52 AM
Right-O will leave the hubs in lock and see what happens.

I'm guessing if this fixes the problem I'll need new hubs, I'd imagine they would wear out fairly quick driving my average 200km a week.

BigRAWesty
31st January 2014, 08:09 AM
Right-O will leave the hubs in lock and see what happens.

I'm guessing if this fixes the problem I'll need new hubs, I'd imagine they would wear out fairly quick driving my average 200km a week.

Na just remove the auto mechanism. Just means you'll have a free or lock hub, not auto or lock..

4by
31st January 2014, 09:45 AM
Yeah as westy said just remove the auto locking section from the hubs. Do a search on this forum and youll find some info how to do it.

Shaunous
2nd February 2014, 10:23 PM
Thanks lads, this week will be the true test to determine the problem. Will comment back on results.