PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know what the stock GQ rear hook above tow ball is rated too

tiny
30th January 2014, 04:42 PM
Don't mean to highjack the thread but in the suggestion of gq cracks, does anyone know what the stock GQ rear hook above tow ball is rated too ( nissan noob question) as mine has plenty of scratches and it looks like it has been hooked up to a winch... I have a tow shackle insert of course but was curious because i searched the site and couldn't find mention of it.

BigRAWesty
30th January 2014, 08:15 PM
Don't mean to highjack the thread but in the suggestion of gq cracks, does anyone know what the stock GQ rear hook above tow ball is rated too ( nissan noob question) as mine has plenty of scratches and it looks like it has been hooked up to a winch... I have a tow shackle insert of course but was curious because i searched the site and couldn't find mention of it.

Flat ground light recovery.
It's in the manual..
TD at outback ideas makes a rated plate for this point which is good for hard recoveries. He's a vendor here.

NissanGQ4.2
30th January 2014, 08:28 PM

Moved your question into its own thread.

I don't think that hook is actually rated by Nissan

Bloodyaussie
30th January 2014, 08:40 PM
Do a search mate this has been argued to death!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mudnut
30th January 2014, 09:12 PM
G'day, Tiny. I have little faith in the rating of that hook. I have removed it and am in the process of building a small stainless steel box which fits the bolt holes. The box will house the trailer power sockets.

Woof
30th January 2014, 10:31 PM
I personally would never use it for anything

the evil twin
30th January 2014, 11:11 PM
As per the manual it is the factory recovery point (and by that I don't mean use it for kinetic recoveries).
It is not rated in the sense of WLL

P4trol
30th January 2014, 11:18 PM
I think people are talking about two things: where the loop is mounted, and the flimsy loop that is there.

I think I understand someone makes a replacement loop that bolts instead of the flimsy factory one.

BigRAWesty
31st January 2014, 12:16 AM
I think people are talking about two things: where the loop is mounted, and the flimsy loop that is there.

I think I understand someone makes a replacement loop that bolts instead of the flimsy factory one.

Spot on..
Original hook has 2 piss ant welds holding it together..

Threedogs does a rated manufactured hoop which is a direct fit.

A much safer option..

nissannewby
31st January 2014, 12:40 AM
G'day, Tiny. I have little faith in the rating of that hook. I have removed it and am in the process of building a small stainless steel box which fits the bolt holes. The box will house the trailer power sockets.

This is by far the best idea I have heard for these bolt holes.

Clunk
31st January 2014, 01:10 AM

yep great idea....................

have towed with the loop but towed only, no recoveries light or heavy. Replaced it with one of TD's loops but to be honest, still would use it for recoveries. not because I dont trust TD's hoop, I just dont trust the bolts or bolt holes.

If you've got a reece hitch, get yourself one of THESE (http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Ridge-Ryder-4-700Kg-Hitch-Reciever.aspx?pid=280138#Cross). But it may also be an idea to check your towbar & bolts for rust.

tiny
8th February 2014, 07:00 PM
thanks for replies fella's, i've got recovery points on rear but was just curious.. I knew it would have been a topic posted to death but i wanted a quick answer and couldnt find a black and white one..
might just remove it in case im driving and someone hooks onto it in quick recovery situations. eg river crossing stall

klompy
8th February 2014, 07:21 PM
I removed mine as well seemed to be useless and like you safer than being used in error.