PDA

View Full Version : SPC goes under

threedogs
30th January 2014, 05:34 PM
This company has been in our lives for ever but seems no longer, This is Big Fletchs area.
Shame as I've tried to support them as best I could.
Now all these fruit trees will probably be ploughed under. Lets hope not.
This company has supported 3-4000 employees, Big blow for a country town

AB
30th January 2014, 06:22 PM
Time to start being a bit more self sufficient gents. I've already started with a dozen different fruit trees, strawberries, passion fruit, veges, etc

Give it ten to twenty years and you will not know quality or origins of the foods you eat unless you grow it yourself.

Steve4wdin
30th January 2014, 06:33 PM
That is appalling, we pay stamp duty or GST on everything we buy. Lets start imposing tariffs on imports again and get Australia back on track or we will all have to work for the dole.
I feel very strongly about this.
Steve

93patrol
30th January 2014, 07:29 PM
it shouldn't be going under as its owned by Coca-Cola Amatil and they posted a 250 million profit last year they just refuse to put the money back into the community its their fault its going under

gaddy
30th January 2014, 07:57 PM
, they started down grading their sales force about 6 years ago , are sure sign they are looking at leaving , stuck all their eggs in the coles and woolies basket and then get screwed on trading terms progressively over the next few years .there are very few australian owned food manufacturers left and we need people to buy our products , I'm glad I work for a successful one that seems to be able to survive, San Remo group.

PMC
31st January 2014, 09:09 AM
it shouldn't be going under as its owned by Coca-Cola Amatil and they posted a 250 million profit last year they just refuse to put the money back into the community its their fault its going under

Well stated 93patrol,

The sad thing is that Coca-Cola Amatil is a 9 billion dollar company and it definitely does not need tax payers monies to up grade its plants. The following is CCA strategy Analysis for 2013/2014.

Regards,

RLI

Strategy Analysis:

CCL's key strategy is to grow the Australian beverages market by finding new outlets and to improve returns in the core business. At the same time it is investing heavily to increase fridges in Indonesia where strong GDP growth coupled with a large population and low penetration suggest good long-term growth potential. The alcoholic beverages business is another attractive growth avenue with CCL able to leverage its sales and distribution infrastructure to maximum effect.

The Project Zero cost reduction program is a key contributor to profit growth in mature core markets. Value adding projects have been identified through to 2015. Acquisitions have played a part in diversifying to become a broader based beverage company. Neverfail was acquired for $225m in April 2003 and SPC Ardmona was acquired for $524m, diversifying into packaged fruit, in early 2005.

The Pacific Beverages distribution joint venture with SABMiller was formed in 2006 to distribute alcoholic beverages and sold late 2011. The Korean business was sold in 2007. Coca-Cola Amatil reported NPAT down 22.3% to $459.9m for the year ended 31 December 2012. Revenues from ordinary activities were $5.18bn, up 6.3% from last year. Basic and Diluted EPS was 60.4 cents compared to 78.1 cents last year. Net operating cash flow was $741.9m compared to $641.8m last year. The final dividend declared was 32.0 cents, taking the full year dividend to 59.5 cents compared with 52.5 cents last year.

The Australian business delivered solid volume and EBIT growth of 3.3% against a backdrop of weak consumer spending and very poor weather in the first quarter. The Australian business expects to again deliver revenue and earnings growth in 2014. In addition, the company believes productivity and efficiency gains from the Project Zero investment program will make a good contribution to earnings growth.

threedogs
31st January 2014, 09:35 AM
@ AB it should be like years ago when our folks always had fruit trees , made their own jams etc,
I don't think the modern person has fruit trees let alone a veggie patch, every house has to have a lemon tree,
it should be the law lol.

Clunk
31st January 2014, 11:04 AM
@ AB it should be like years ago when our folks always had fruit trees , made their own jams etc,
I don't think the modern person has fruit trees let alone a veggie patch, every house has to have a lemon tree,

All very well and good if you have a yard big enough. Some of us don't have that luxury

AB
31st January 2014, 11:27 AM
All very well and good if you have a yard big enough. Some of us don't have that luxury

True but you will be surprised what you can achieve in a little backyard if It's well planned.

Also, network with neighbours to grow different things and trade. Always a surplus at my house come harvest time.

If anyone's serious about it then I suggest you read a great book called Practical Self Sufficiency for Australia.

http://www.booktopia.com.au/practical-self-sufficiency-dick-strawbridge/prod9781740337700.html?gclid=CO_WiuiZp7wCFUFwvAodz yMAzA

threedogs
31st January 2014, 01:42 PM
Didn't the employees of SPC buy shares in the company to keep it open, a few years back

macca
31st January 2014, 05:15 PM
Didn't the employees of SPC buy shares in the company to keep it open, a few years back

We thought they formed a co-op, and were surprised to see Coke as an owner.

Govts spend a fortune on the car industry what about some of the others aren't they important enough?.

Piss off the big mobs, make these businesses' Govt owned and keep it Australian!

And stuff the share holder, the whole world revolves around the share price and dividends what a selfish way to run a company.

The Chinese are doing it.

Steve4wdin
31st January 2014, 05:48 PM
We thought they formed a co-op, and were surprised to see Coke as an owner.

Govts spend a fortune on the car industry what about some of the others aren't they important enough?.

Piss off the big mobs, make these businesses' Govt owned and keep it Australian!

And stuff the share holder, the whole world revolves around the share price and dividends what a selfish way to run a company.

The Chinese are doing it.

Shoot me down but that is a form of communism. How ever, I agree, this share holder / profit is just greed. When their is no manufacturing left, what do the "share holders " invest in then. Maybe the oldest profession of all. Because that's about all that will be left.
Steve

macca
31st January 2014, 07:06 PM
Steve if that is a version of communism and it keeps jobs for Aussies in Australia and helps maintain our fantastic standard of living then lets have a good look at it.

We spend so much time and money in aid overseas but the blinkers are on when thousands of families here at home are effected by all the job losses, at some point we have to do something, what is the big question.

Steve4wdin
31st January 2014, 07:20 PM
Steve if that is a version of communism and it keeps jobs for Aussies in Australia and helps maintain our fantastic standard of living then lets have a good look at it.

We spend so much time and money in aid overseas but the blinkers are on when thousands of families here at home are effected by all the job losses, at some point we have to do something, what is the big question.

Buddy, Refer to my first post. I don't believe in communism, I do believe in capitalism. I certainly don't believe in greed. That is short lived. Look at mining.

Drewboyaus
31st January 2014, 07:27 PM
Buddy, Refer to my first post. I don't believe in communism, I do believe in capitalism. I certainly don't believe in greed. That is short lived. Look at mining.

The only thing that wins in capitalism is the capital. People lose.
I'm no communist but the capitalism being practised at the moment shows no regard for humanity.

Drewboyaus
31st January 2014, 07:32 PM
This is an interesting piece of writing on the subject of capitalism for those interested:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/08/david-simon-capitalism-marx-two-americas-wire

janderson
31st January 2014, 08:09 PM

my fruit trees about 20 off, what I don't have the neighbours have also got the veggie patch

PMC
31st January 2014, 08:09 PM
G'evening lounge lizards,

As previously stated, Coca-Cola Amatil is a 9 billion dollar company; it paid over $524million dollars in 2005 for SPC Ardmona, so far Coca-Cola Amatil made 465 million profit in the last 12 months.

If this company is genuine about its business interests in Australia, it should not have any difficulty in offsetting part of its profit in capital upgrading of its plants in SPC Ardmona.

Something stinks about the way management have operated SPC Ardmona, when it has to ask the Australian tax payer for a 25 million grant so it can upgrade one of its plants.

Why did parent company (Coca-Cola Amatil) fail to provide the required capital expenditure as required to upgrade the new plant?

This demonstrates to me, that Coca-Cola Amatil does not give a toss about Australian jobs at its SPC Ardmona Company and furthermore, it does not give a toss about the folks in Shepparton, Victoria.

It only gives a toss about its dividends to shareholders. This company had a Net operating cash flow of $741.9m in 2013 compared to $641.8m in 2012.

The question should be asked, how fair dinkum is Coca-Cola Amatil’s business interests in its Victorian SPC Ardmona Company? And why is it not prepared to use its own funds to upgrade its proposed new plant?

PS, I wonder how many Australians are Coca-Cola Amatil and SPC Ardmona shareholders? I wonder if they give a toss about SPC Ardmona Company and the folks in Shepparton, Victoria.

Kind regards,

RLI

Drewboyaus
31st January 2014, 08:18 PM
The question should be asked, how fair dinkum is Coca-Cola Amatil’s business interests in its Victorian SPC Ardmona Company? And why is it not prepared to use its own funds to upgrade its proposed new plant?

PS, I wounder how many Australians are Coca-Cola Amatil and SPC Ardmona shareholders? I wounder if they give a toss about SPC Ardmona Company and the folks in Shepparton, Victoria.

Kind regards,

RLI

My opinion is that they couldn't give a continental about either. I think as far as CCA are concerned they have bought a brand name. That is where they see value. Not in produce, not in farmers, not in factories and certainly not in the staff or community of Shep. I am sure that at some point in the future they fully expected to retain the brand name while filling tins with dubious quality, cheaper overseas produce.
That my friends is progress!

gaddy
31st January 2014, 09:09 PM
PS, I wonder how many Australians are Coca-Cola Amatil and SPC Ardmona shareholders? I wonder if they give a toss about SPC Ardmona Company and the folks in Shepparton, Victoria.

Kind regards,

RLI[/QUOTE]

They are a top 50 blue chip company on the ASX , so pretty much everyone in a managed superfund , and I am assuming that nobody here has a can of plain wrap tomatoes or fruit in their cupboard , and always buys aussie made or owned ! and never ebays from overseas because it was cheeper then going to a shop and paying a couple of bucks more and keeping someone in a job , how many brought 4wd accessories on line from overseas , how many brought a new commodore or falcon in the last few years , yep we can blame the government for it , and they have a lot to answer for , as do we the consumer , these are just my thoughts as a consumer and nearly 30 years in the grocery retail industry .

Edit : sorry but I have been in a sales meeting today and this wss discussed at length