PDA

View Full Version : How do you look after cast iron cookware

Bloodyaussie
29th January 2014, 07:03 PM
As above what are the correct ways or personal experiences with looking after all my cooking gear??

Thanks in advance for all the informative replies with little or no crapping on!!!! he he!!

mudski
29th January 2014, 07:07 PM
Make sure its clean and dry firstly. Then what i do is coat the inside with some olive oil so it wont rust. Then wrap it up in large back ans seal it up so no dirt os dust gets in and sticks to the oil.

BigRAWesty
29th January 2014, 07:07 PM
You Cook??? Bahahahahahaha

Winnie
29th January 2014, 07:15 PM
Like mudski I wash mine when I'm finished, but don't use soap. Then rub the inside and outside with oil and put it over heat for about 5 mins. Never do it when I'm away though but when I get home

mudski
29th January 2014, 07:16 PM
Like mudski I wash mine when I'm finished, but don't use soap. Then rub the inside and outside with oil and put it over heat for about 5 mins. Never do it when I'm away though but when I get home

Same here. No soap and dry it over heat.

Steve4wdin
29th January 2014, 07:22 PM
For my camp oven, I generally stick it back on the heat with some soapy water, bring back to the boil for a few minutes, tip out the crap, than scrub clean. Rinse with fresh water. Put back on heat and wipe out with paper towel. When dry, like the other guys, lite coat of cooking oil. put away all good till next time. Takes 10 min may be a VB or 2, hey Winnie

oncedisturbed
29th January 2014, 07:23 PM
Best oil to use to prime / re prime cast iron is linseed oil.

The outside of my camp oven is sprayed with a high temp engine black paint which protects it and doesn't affect cooking temps.

If your camp oven stinks or has a burnt smell to it, cook the the crappy, fatty bacon bits in it and then empty it and use the bacon fat to oil the inside of the oven.

Never use any citrus based cleaners.

Best site to read up on seasoning cast iron is -
www.aussiecampovenforum.com

TPC
29th January 2014, 07:24 PM
Same as mudski and winnie said but I always do it while away so I don't forget when I get home.

growler2058
29th January 2014, 07:35 PM
Ask AB.................I mean DONT ask AB :)

Bloodyaussie
29th January 2014, 07:43 PM
You Cook??? Bahahahahahaha

You idiot! !!!

Thanks guys for the many responses.

Clunk
29th January 2014, 08:11 PM
i do the same as above but then I wrap it cotton wool so the precious thing doesn't get hurt

Maxhead
29th January 2014, 08:23 PM
I cook in it then leave it dirty till next time. I am then forced to sit it on the fire till the crap burns off and she's right to use again...easy. The natural oils from the roast keep it oiled up and free from rust:)

AB
29th January 2014, 08:31 PM
I cook in it then leave it dirty till next time. I am then forced to sit it on the fire till the crap burns off and she's right to use again...easy. The natural oils from the roast keep it oiled up and free from rust:)

Finally a good response...lol

Thats pretty much what I do too...Let the natural oils of the previous meal take care of it and next time you pull it out you are forced (by the misses mostly) to properly clean it by recooking the left over love from months before.

Wipe clean with a cheap paper towel ensuring little chunks of the paper towel get caught in the oven whilst you are cleaning then good to go...LMAO

Drewboyaus
29th January 2014, 08:43 PM
I scrape the crap from the meal out of mine first.
Fill with river water, bring to boil.
Scrub with nylon scourer/brush to clean while water is hot.
Tip out water.
Quick rinse.
Back on heat to dry.
Once dry, quick coat of oil and crank up heat till smoking.
Once smoking stops it's done and ready to cook with again.
NEVER put detergent near it unless you are stripping it back to start the whole seasoning process again.
Generally all done after the meal with a couple of beers.

Trolatron
29th January 2014, 10:22 PM
I pass it to the wife, it always finds its way back to the camping shelf in the shed, never had a problem.

BigRAWesty
29th January 2014, 11:01 PM
I pass it to the wife, it always finds its way back to the camping shelf in the shed, never had a problem.

Best method yet..

Bush Ranger
30th January 2014, 02:39 PM
I`ve only cooked roasts of some sort in mine. If I make gravey I`ll clean it out with hot water only and then heat it up on the cook top whilst pouring in fat / dripping or oil back in. I use a cast iron hot plate from a gas bbq for my wood fire when bbqing and only clean it a little when I want to use it again whilst it`s heating up. I might put a bit of extra oil or fat back on it once finished using it, to let soak in when the heat dies down to a very dull roar.

threedogs
30th January 2014, 03:03 PM
I have or will have 4 different types of camp ovens soon but pretty much the same as Drewboy,
I have my big steel one, a few cast iron, a couple of Bedouries and soon a 12" cast alloy, Like your cast iron fry pan
Half of what I've read every one is washing off their seasoning and starting fresh. Like a cast iron fry pan the inside of your oven should be non stick from layers and layers of carbon.
Why scourer the bejeesus out of it, never use soap when warm just wipe with some towel and re oil
Next time out bush grab your favourite fry pan or oven fill it with salt and place it on the fire for an hour or so
instant non stick pan, Been doing this longer than I care to remember

Or if your not into cleaning up use a trivet and a large alfoil tub the size of your oven,
Should always use a trivet, this was my last one with Bob and Roofy up the Murray