PDA

View Full Version : Gu patrol drive train upgrade

the-troll
29th January 2014, 06:22 AM
Hey guys I have a the 2.8l td gu and have managed to find a gu 4.2l I was wondering whether or not I need to up grade the drive train and if so whats the best way to do it.

Regards

Bloodyaussie
29th January 2014, 08:28 AM
I think the diff ratios are different???

Dont think anything needs beefing up but gearbox and diff ratios may need looking into.

I am sure other will be on soon to give you a clearer answer.

MudRunnerTD
29th January 2014, 09:13 AM
The drive train on the 2.8 and the 4.2 are identical but as BA noted the diff ratios are different. The 2.8 runs factory 4.6 diffs which are highly sort after for those wanting to run larger tyres. I assume you just got an engine and looking to do a conversion?

nissannewby
29th January 2014, 09:47 AM
Gearbox is different. You will need one to suit the 4.2. If you can get away with retaining the 2.8 transfer all good, if not the you may have to do some flange swapping.

sooty_10
29th January 2014, 11:09 AM
The gearboxes are different too, but tcase is the same. Rear driveshafts are a little different but you can sort them out easy enough. And either driveshaft will do the job, when I did mine I used the 4.2 driveshaft and simply swapped the rear diff flange for the one off my 4.2 donor vehicle. If you used the 2.8 driveshaft you may need to swap the Tcase flange end??

sooty_10
29th January 2014, 11:10 AM
Gearbox is different. You will need one to suit the 4.2. If you can get away with retaining the 2.8 transfer all good, if not the you may have to do some flange swapping.

lol....I guess I should refresh window before I finally got around to replying...

the-troll
29th January 2014, 03:28 PM
Yeah I have found a gu engine but was not committed to buy until I knew some more I also have a set of 35inch mt claws that I was going to run after the conversion. Cheers