View Full Version : AB's new GQ is finally here

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

MB
5th November 2016, 09:26 PM
You're back old mate:-)
GOLD, see us on the other side;-) !

MB
5th November 2016, 09:40 PM
Well done guys. I was there in spirit!Did you find your side cutters AB?
Sorry to say; Your name was Mud after today's debacle Runner ;-) Just taking da piss mate, Glad bag theory was inconclusive. Too easy for anybody/me to fastidiously complain in your absence bro :-)

Clunk
5th November 2016, 11:52 PM
You're back old mate:-)
GOLD, see us on the other side;-) !
Well you know, I like to slip one in once in a while

MB
6th November 2016, 01:40 AM
Smart Arse :-(

Rossco
6th November 2016, 08:53 AM
Thank you to everyone who has helped me get here and special thanks to mb, Nic and Rossco for their help today!!!

Doesn't seem to be any leaks, we did well!!!

Yeah went pretty smooth with only a few little niggles along the way the main one me chopping off the old boost line fitting and putting on a new one and mounting it up to the oil presure gauge!! WHOOPS they were identical hose and was sitting down by the oil pressure switch so kinda assumed , hmmm. . . Thanks to Markie had to get a new fitting from Lilydale then all good. Also when cranking starter wiring was getting hot and smoking due to bad earths and dirty loose connections, took us a bit but got it all sorted. Sounds good, nice and smooth but needs final tune, can't wait to see it once tuned nicely, its certainly very close now.

Stropp
8th November 2016, 02:18 PM
hows the car going AB and whens the pizzup lol

TPC
8th November 2016, 02:22 PM

What he said.

26th Nov would be good. ;)

jay see
8th November 2016, 02:37 PM
????????????@AB

AB
8th November 2016, 04:32 PM
My car is booked in tomorrow, it's killing me more not been able to drive it so fingers crossed tomorrow will be my happy it's all done day.

Yep, need to talk to the fun police gents, we have a ridiculous amount of things happening before Xmas. Mexicans seem to come out of hibernation and book weddings and all sorts this time of year.

I'll chat to the minister and let you know.

MudRunnerTD
8th November 2016, 04:51 PM
I need you for a weekend bud before Christmas.

AB
8th November 2016, 07:41 PM
I'm thinking 10th December?

It's going to be so hard for everyone's planets to align but my November is gone.

This date seems to be the only option before Xmas carnage?

Otherwise it's held off for a blistering Melbourne summer Jan?

If there's too much complication we might have to do a poll maybe.

Maxhead
8th November 2016, 07:52 PM
My thought is we keep this off till next year as most are under the pump....but :)
Either way i'm happy for the 10th...LOL I'll be there

Maxhead
8th November 2016, 07:58 PM
Otherwise it's held off for a blistering Melbourne summer Jan?

January = stinking hot , February could be snowing......hmmmm decisions decisions

AB
8th November 2016, 08:00 PM
January = stinking hot , February could be snowing......hmmmm decisions decisions Either way I'm getting naked...

MudRunnerTD
8th November 2016, 08:00 PM
Yeah I call Next Year too! Madness between now and Christmas for me. I am not sure I'm gunna get everything done before then as it goes now. Crazy busy.

Maxhead
8th November 2016, 08:01 PM
Either way I'm getting naked...

I wouldn't expect any less...nothing's changed then :)

MudRunnerTD
8th November 2016, 08:04 PM
Either way I'm getting naked...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/11/69.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AB
8th November 2016, 08:10 PM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Stalker alert!!!

This one goes out to Darren Thornton....http://youtu.be/OMOGaugKpzs

MudRunnerTD
8th November 2016, 08:18 PM
Stalker alert!!!

This one goes out to Darren Thornton....http://youtu.be/OMOGaugKpzs

In 1986 I was fortunate enough to sit in the 4th row, centre stage, to watch Sting for his Dream of the Blue Turtle Tour and saw him sing this song live. No one was aloud to stand at the front. Was Awesome!

AB
9th November 2016, 01:20 PM
Dieseltec just called, engine is alive and running brilliantly he said!!!

Couple of small leaks from hose clamps not done up but that's it, we did well!!!

Can't wait to drive it home!

Winnie
9th November 2016, 02:05 PM
Was just about to ask how it went. Has he given it a run on the dyno?

mudski
9th November 2016, 02:25 PM

Couple of small leaks from hose clamps not done up but that's it, we did well!!!

Woohoo the GQ'U is back!

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

macca
9th November 2016, 02:40 PM

Good news hope you have years of fun with it now.

AB
9th November 2016, 04:17 PM
Thanks everyone, It's official, the GQU is back on the road and driving beautifully!!!

This engine seems to be very neat!!!

Yep I got a moderate tune so I can just get out and enjoy some camping time for now, I'll post up the results later on.

mudnut
9th November 2016, 05:13 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/11/69.jpg

The look everyone gets after emptying their bladder on a Yota.

AB
9th November 2016, 05:16 PM

Confirmed turbo not leaking either!

AB
9th November 2016, 05:16 PM
Sooooo good to be back in the GQU again!

Rossco
9th November 2016, 05:39 PM

Confirmed turbo not leaking either!
Moderate tune eh! ? Think I'd be pretty happy with that. Glad to hear motor is good thought it would be. What was the reason for exessive smoke, pump timing?? Not too sure about this GQU thing, might have to put that silver rocker cover on i think. . . Anyway time to enjoy the thing time to hit some tracks ☺

AB
9th November 2016, 05:42 PM
Moderate tune eh! ? Think I'd be pretty happy with that. Glad to hear motor is good thought it would be. What was the reason for exessive smoke, pump timing?? Not too sure about this GQU thing, might have to put that silver rocker cover on i think. . . Anyway time to enjoy the thing time to hit some tracks ? I'm guessing incorrect timing of fuel delivery so the white smoke is unburnt fuel.

Winnie
9th November 2016, 05:49 PM
Moderate tune eh! ? Think I'd be pretty happy with that. Glad to hear motor is good thought it would be. What was the reason for exessive smoke, pump timing?? Not too sure about this GQU thing, might have to put that silver rocker cover on i think. . . Anyway time to enjoy the thing time to hit some tracks ☺
Yeah I think the silver top is a must mate... Not liking the GQU name at all!

MudRunnerTD
9th November 2016, 05:54 PM
Great result AB congrats mate and congrats to the forum for all the help provided. Well deserved.

Stropp
9th November 2016, 06:22 PM
great news AB let her rip, yeh realistically december is out for me for donk party :(

MB
9th November 2016, 06:39 PM
Good news hope you have years of fun with it now.
Mia must be stoked mate! Is she bugging you yet since pulling in the driveway:-) That's one keen little camper folks, well done :-)

BigRAWesty
9th November 2016, 08:11 PM
Well AB that's 2 good news stories for the day..
That's an awesome outcome for a "moderate tune".
Good to see its alive and well.

As for "the donk donk party' I think it's safe to say next year.for us too..
But if it happens before I'll be there.. Wife and kid free.

Clunk
9th November 2016, 08:35 PM
just don't f$ck this one up hey

oh well done by the way

mudski
9th November 2016, 09:41 PM
Yeah I think the silver top is a must mate... Not liking the GQU name at all!

No point dressing up in drag mate. We all know whats underneath. ;)

AB
10th November 2016, 06:10 PM
Well this is a first, my EGT's are too low.

Even pushing it in 4th up the big hill to home it only gets to 250 degrees.

Winnie
10th November 2016, 06:11 PM

Is there such a thing as too low?

mudski
10th November 2016, 06:35 PM

Thats a GU blacktop for ya! Lol. Mines the same. Well around that.
How does sit go?

AB
10th November 2016, 06:35 PM
Is there such a thing as too low? nissannewby ;)

nissannewby
10th November 2016, 06:51 PM
Is there such a thing as too low?

Yes. You want to maintain temperature for turbine drive. Andys wastegate needs some adjustment as it is opening to early thus loosing drive on the turbine and a subsequent boost drop. Also the tune is very lean. We dont drive very often if at all like a dyno is performed. So basically to low a temperature means you are losing response and efficiency. You want a safe max EGT. You can cruise at 350 degress with no issue even 400 degrees but you want the temps to remain stable. Andys setup has awesome potential to get this near spot on and it will be even better to drive even at his current torque/ power levels.

Ben-e-boy
10th November 2016, 06:51 PM
Dont worry about it. Mine was about that when I came down for the knockwood trip.

nissannewby
10th November 2016, 06:54 PM
Dont worry about it. Mine was about that when I came down for the knockwood trip.

250 Degress is his max temp even under load. The 197kw and 900nm run is very very good. You can see with the latest one his boost dropping from around 2500 this is also subsequently the same time the afrs lean out to like 22:1.

Ben-e-boy
10th November 2016, 06:57 PM
250 Degress is his max temp even under load. The 197kw and 900nm run is very very good. You can see with the latest one his boost dropping from around 2500 this is also subsequently the same time the afrs lean out to like 22:1.

I haven't seen the latest sheet yet. I was just commenting on hill climb temps

mudski
10th November 2016, 07:06 PM
Yes. You want to maintain temperature for turbine drive. Andys wastegate needs some adjustment as it is opening to early thus loosing drive on the turbine and a subsequent boost drop. Also the tune is very lean. We dont drive very often if at all like a dyno is performed. So basically to low a temperature means you are losing response and efficiency. You want a safe max EGT. You can cruise at 350 degress with no issue even 400 degrees but you want the temps to remain stable. Andys setup has awesome potential to get this near spot on and it will be even better to drive even at his current torque/ power levels.

This bit is very interesting Mat. I have always thought quietly in the back of my head about this. But I don't really have the knowledge to back it up....The boost on my Patrol drops off quick quickly, and there pretty much nothing after this. I was told by many it was because of the restricting intake. This is all changed, and the boost drops off just the same. Wish there was someone down here that looks into stuff this more. I feel like a dickhead when I go to a workshop and try to explain this and they just look at me with a blank face then chuck it on the dyno and just play with the pump.
I might have to take a week off and go for a drive north. Lol.

nissannewby
10th November 2016, 07:19 PM
This bit is very interesting Mat. I have always thought quietly in the back of my head about this. But I don't really have the knowledge to back it up....The boost on my Patrol drops off quick quickly, and there pretty much nothing after this. I was told by many it was because of the restricting intake. This is all changed, and the boost drops off just the same. Wish there was someone down here that looks into stuff this more. I feel like a dickhead when I go to a workshop and try to explain this and they just look at me with a blank face then chuck it on the dyno and just play with the pump.

There are a few factors that can do what you describe. It is most evident of a fuel pump setup. Most run of the mill pumps dont do much in the favour of supply and timing beyond 3200rpm. I could nearly guarantee this is about when your power levels and boost start tapering off. The other part is wastegate and its actuation. For best results you really need to run an electronic boost controller, turbosmart do some very nice ones. An electronic boost controller will see your boost hang on longer and be much more stable with the gate also setup correctly. With a electronic boost controller the pump will more than likely be the hold up. Once the pump is sorted then things like intake manifold and other mods will need to be done to maintain torque with a really nice torque rise.

mudski
10th November 2016, 08:37 PM
Legend! Are those electronic boost controllers something that need to be fitted and tuned by a shop?

nissannewby
10th November 2016, 10:26 PM
Legend! Are those electronic boost controllers something that need to be fitted and tuned by a shop?

No. They are very easy to wire up and setup. The turbosmart ones come with very good literature. Turbosmart gear is very high quality which is reflected in the prices. Be aware this will let you know if your current actuator is correctly sized.

I will also add to my comments above about fuels pumps. When I said fuel pump setup this is how they are setup on the bench. You will be lucky to tune it out.

BigRAWesty
11th November 2016, 07:03 AM

There are a few factors that can do what you describe. It is most evident of a fuel pump setup. Most run of the mill pumps dont do much in the favour of supply and timing beyond 3200rpm. I could nearly guarantee this is about when your power levels and boost start tapering off. The other part is wastegate and its actuation. For best results you really need to run an electronic boost controller, turbosmart do some very nice ones. An electronic boost controller will see your boost hang on longer and be much more stable with the gate also setup correctly. With a electronic boost controller the pump will more than likely be the hold up. Once the pump is sorted then things like intake manifold and other mods will need to be done to maintain torque with a really nice torque rise.
Out of curiosity with this, does a VNT setup eliminate this reduction seeing the veins are constantly adjust to max boost v air flow?

mudski
11th November 2016, 07:23 AM
No. They are very easy to wire up and setup. The turbosmart ones come with very good literature. Turbosmart gear is very high quality which is reflected in the prices. Be aware this will let you know if your current actuator is correctly sized.

I will also add to my comments above about fuels pumps. When I said fuel pump setup this is how they are setup on the bench. You will be lucky to tune it out.
Yeah I have been looking on the Turbosmart website. I see they do High Pressure wastegates too. More stuff!

nissannewby
11th November 2016, 10:26 AM
Out of curiosity with this, does a VNT setup eliminate this reduction seeing the veins are constantly adjust to max boost v air flow?

No. You are still confined to the limits of the housing in which the vanes operate in. Just like anything they are a compromise.

nissannewby
11th November 2016, 10:27 AM
Yeah I have been looking on the Turbosmart website. I see they do High Pressure wastegates too. More stuff!

Shouldnt need a high pressure one. Their standard one with the 26psi spring combination will be spot on.

AB
11th November 2016, 07:25 PM
You blokes should've put this in its own thread, some good info here!

MB
11th November 2016, 08:41 PM
I'm sure that Admin bloke has the skills to recreate:-)

AB
11th November 2016, 08:56 PM
I'm sure that Admin bloke has the skills to recreate:-) Maybe....lol

MB
11th November 2016, 08:58 PM
Genius he is i says ;-)

MudRunnerTD
11th November 2016, 09:00 PM
I'm sure that Admin bloke has the skills to recreate:-)

Nah he is Shit with Computers!!

Clunk
11th November 2016, 09:08 PM
Genius he is i says ;-)
He'll only break the forum

AB
15th November 2016, 06:04 PM
Still can't drive the car yet and it's killing me!!!

I think it's been 8 months since I could drive this car worry free.

One of the injectors is leaking which was the troubled one from the old engine and I thought it was just the seating of it but looks like the injector itself has issues.

Booked in next Monday to get sorted so no driving until then :(

Winnie
15th November 2016, 06:19 PM
Yeah I can't blame you mate.
Very long time to be without your pride and joy!

MudRunnerTD
15th November 2016, 07:10 PM
And the wait won't even be worth it.......

Nearly there mate.

mudski
16th November 2016, 07:35 AM
Well mate. The GQU has certainly come along way....
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2600-AB-s-new-GQ-is-finally-here&p=34308&viewfull=1#post34308

Do you reckon you could ever write down every single thing you have done on it? There'd be a lotta stuff...

Winnie
16th November 2016, 07:38 AM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2600-AB-s-new-GQ-is-finally-here&p=34308&viewfull=1#post34308

Do you reckon you could ever write down every single thing you have done on it? There'd be a lotta stuff...

Looked better before!!!

AB
16th November 2016, 08:07 AM
Well mate. The GQU has certainly come along way.... http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2600-AB-s-new-GQ-is-finally-here&p=34308&viewfull=1#post34308 Do you reckon you could ever write down every single thing you have done on it? There'd be a lotta stuff... I think I'd cry if I worked everything out...

Winnie
16th November 2016, 08:08 AM

He has completed his wish list though. Does that mean that work on the car is finished now forever????

AB
16th November 2016, 08:54 AM
He has completed his wish list though. Does that mean that work on the car is finished now forever???? For the moment yes I am broke lol

I need to fix my intercooler up though, it's got a couple of leaks and the intercooler piping is steel and not looking the best.

Touses
16th November 2016, 09:03 AM
For the moment yes I am broke lol

I need to fix my intercooler up though, it's got a couple of leaks and the intercooler piping is steel and not looking the best.

You'll be right mate, just sell the forum again! Don't have to wait 'til April 1! Bahahahaha

gubigfish
16th November 2016, 09:27 AM
He has completed his wish list though. Does that mean that work on the car is finished now forever????

Theres always more on the wish list, just most of the time the $$$ required aren't there so things take a long time

AB
17th November 2016, 06:20 PM
Thanks to Rossco for getting an engine crane for me. I waved it goodbye today, hopefully for good!!!

AB
21st November 2016, 04:52 PM
Take 3!

Officially I am now back on the road trouble free!

Injector fixed and we did a test using Diesel Tec gauge and my pyro is exactly 50 degrees out reading lower so that explains it. This is a pretty new vdo gauge too.

I'm officially back folks :)

jay see
21st November 2016, 05:05 PM
Good on ya mate.

No more blowing holes in blocks OK..

Bob
21st November 2016, 05:23 PM
Take 3!

Injector fixed and we did a test using Diesel Tec gauge and my pyro is exactly 50 degrees out reading lower so that explains it. This is a pretty new vdo gauge too.

OK now for some advice from the silly old man.

Remove the Turbo
Remove the Lift'
Put on Road Tyres
Drive like a 80 year old man

That will make it last until you are my age

LMFAO

AB
21st November 2016, 05:26 PM
OK now for some advice from the silly old man. Remove the Turbo Remove the Lift' Put on Road Tyres Drive like a 80 year old man That will make it last until you are my age LMFAO You were young once too Bob, I'm sure you chased the power in your ummm Penny-farthing...lmao. Sorry you left that open for me :(

Bob
21st November 2016, 05:31 PM
You were young once too Bob, I'm sure you chased the power in your ummm Penny-farthing...lmao. Sorry you left that open for me :(

It was Black and was a T Model Ford LOL

AB
21st November 2016, 05:37 PM
It was Black and was a T Model Ford LOL Miss my xf ute, 351 short block, 4 speed top loader. I was 19 and had the beast!!!

Plasnart
21st November 2016, 05:37 PM
It was Black and was a T Model Ford LOL

But sh!t it boogied!!

Plasnart
21st November 2016, 05:50 PM
But sh!t it boogied!!

Clipped from "Bob's buildup" thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFSGSL3Nrmc

nissannewby
21st November 2016, 08:46 PM
Take 3!

Was it out 50 degrees across the entire operating range or at a held temperature? Also you didnt happen the shorten any of the wiring that comes pre wired to the thermo couple?

AB
21st November 2016, 09:18 PM
Was it out 50 degrees across the entire operating range or at a held temperature? Also you didnt happen the shorten any of the wiring that comes pre wired to the thermo couple? I knew you would ask that, nope didn't touch it, I understand the wiring is set for that length.

Yeah across 4 different readings low to highish was 45-50 degrees lesser so at least it's consistent.

nissannewby
21st November 2016, 09:24 PM
I knew you would ask that, nope didn't touch it, I understand the wiring is set for that length.

Yeah across 4 different readings low to highish was 45-50 degrees lesser so at least it's consistent.

In exactly the same spot in the exhaust?

firm351
21st November 2016, 09:25 PM
Miss my xf ute, 351 short block, 4 speed top loader. I was 19 and had the beast!!!
Would of went even beterer with heads on that short block[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

AB
21st November 2016, 09:32 PM
In exactly the same spot in the exhaust? Yep.......

nissannewby
21st November 2016, 09:34 PM
Yep.......

All good then. Even 50mm further down or up the pipe can cause temperature dfferentials.

BigRAWesty
22nd November 2016, 06:06 AM
Good to hear AB.
Hopefully that's a lot of weight off your shoulders

AB
22nd November 2016, 07:41 PM
I'm looking forward to some trips next year folks. Feels like a dream to have a car again!

I've been chatting to a lot people lately how we are all just too busy to get out regularly.

2017, we should aim for quick no fuss weekends and find local camp spots easy for most to get to without a heap of bashing cars and more camping and enjoying getting away from life to be honest folks.

Even quick well organised Saturday morning meet ups, one nighters every month or two.

Kind of pointless doing so much to our Patrols and not getting out enough!!

Plasnart
22nd November 2016, 08:04 PM

Mine's covered in dust. Tempted to market it again! Could do with the cashola and downsize into a GQ!

AB
22nd November 2016, 08:08 PM
Mine's covered in dust. Tempted to market it again! Could do with the cashola and upsize into a GQ!

Just fixed your post Plassy... ;)

Winnie
22nd November 2016, 08:11 PM
Yeah I've been tempted a few times this year to sell it. But would not get near enough to make it worth selling so looks like I'm stuck with it forever!
Mine is all up and running sweet as at the moment too so I'm keen for a few getaways next year for sure!

AB
22nd November 2016, 08:18 PM
Yeah I've been tempted a few times this year to sell it. But would not get near enough to make it worth selling so looks like I'm stuck with it forever! Mine is all up and running sweet as at the moment too so I'm keen for a few getaways next year for sure! Wtf are you talking about?

Selling?

Winnie
22nd November 2016, 08:22 PM
I'm looking forward to some trips next year folks. Feels like a dream to have a car again!

I've been chatting to a lot people lately how we are all just too busy to get out regularly.

2017, we should aim for quick no fuss weekends and find local camp spots easy for most to get to without a heap of bashing cars and more camping and enjoying getting away from life to be honest folks.

Even quick well organised Saturday morning meet ups, one nighters every month or two.

Wtf are you talking about?

Selling?
Err it all makes sense to me!

AB
22nd November 2016, 09:04 PM
Err it all makes sense to me! Considering selling the beast mate?

Winnie
22nd November 2016, 09:14 PM
Considering selling the beast mate?
It crossed my mind a few times.
But definitely not!

Stropp
23rd November 2016, 12:24 AM
Considering selling the beast mate?

@ Winnie $35 ? 😜

Sir Roofy
23rd November 2016, 09:27 AM
@ Winnie $35 ? 😜

Pension is in ill up the anti $100

mudnut
23rd November 2016, 09:33 AM
I'll make a better offer: Two jars of pure Aussie Yellow Box honey.

AB
24th November 2016, 07:06 PM
Passenger side inner axle seal is leaking pretty bad ever since Ellis Track.

Leak is pretty bad, oil caked all over ball joint and flowing down even after the seal was replaced.

Suspected diff bent?

In this situation what's the best thing to do with limited funds for a few months?

Just keep diff oil topped up and suck it up?
nissannewby

You mentioned a while ago there's a different seal you can buy which may help, do you have any info on that seal mate?

rusty_nail
24th November 2016, 07:37 PM

Leak is pretty bad, oil caked all over ball joint and flowing down even after the seal was replaced.

Suspected diff bent?

In this situation what's the best thing to do with limited funds for a few months?

nissannewby

You mentioned a while ago there's a different seal you can buy which may help, do you have any info on that seal mate?
Time to sell mate, I'll offer you a pineapple

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

BigRAWesty
24th November 2016, 10:20 PM
If the diff is dent nothing will work.
If the axle has a worn spot you can get different seals.
First place I'd take it to is an alignment joint.
They'll be able to tell you if it's bent or not.

If it is, gu diff..
If it's not, rebuild with the better seals.

mudski
25th November 2016, 08:35 AM

Suspected diff bent?

nissannewby

Yours too! Mines leaking aswell. Even after changing the seal... My RHS was really bad but I changed the CV a while back and it hasn't leaked since. Now the left is leaking. I reckon mine is just from lack of use. Lol.

Time to sell mate, I'll offer you a pineapple

Atleast offer a jolly green giant mate, considering all the work he's put into it lately... Lol.

MudRunnerTD
25th November 2016, 08:54 AM
If the diff is dent nothing will work.
If the axle has a worn spot you can get different seals.
First place I'd take it to is an alignment joint.
They'll be able to tell you if it's bent or not.

If it is, gu diff..
If it's not, rebuild with the better seals.

I second this.

If it is not leaving a puddle beside the tyre every day then it's a slow leak and just keep an eye on it. If the diff housing is bent then a GU front diff is a No Brainer.

Got any pics? Give it a good wipe clean then give it a day or two and have a look.

AB
25th November 2016, 09:11 AM

MudRunnerTD
25th November 2016, 09:47 AM
Thats interesting AB, who rebuilt your front diff? Wipe that clean mate and monitor it. Normally when the inner axle seal is gone it will weep and drip straight down, that looks like a build up of Grease not Diff Oil. a big seal leak will splatter the inside of the tyre too.

Winnie
25th November 2016, 09:59 AM
Thats interesting AB, who rebuilt your front diff? Wipe that clean mate and monitor it. Normally when the inner axle seal is gone it will weep and drip straight down, that looks like a build up of Grease not Diff Oil. a big seal leak will splatter the inside of the tyre too.
Definitely looks different to when mine was leaking from there. I had oil all over the inside of my tyre too.

gubigfish
25th November 2016, 10:24 AM
My GQ wagon used to do that, don't believe there was any issue or the mechanics I were using didn't think there was anyways.

Ben-e-boy
25th November 2016, 12:03 PM
Easiest way to tell if the front diff is bent is camber and the uneven wear on the tyres from that.

The best way to check if the diff is bent is to strip it down and use an axle housing allignment bar.

Something like this

http://www.chassisunlimited.com/store/tools/axle-alignment-bars/ce-9905.html

Clunk
25th November 2016, 02:10 PM
doesn't look like a major leak to me, very small hence the build of of gunk with dust n sh!t.

As MR and Winnie said, a bad leak would be splatter your inner tyres too.

P.S. you worry too much

AB
25th November 2016, 05:03 PM
Yeah it is grease. But that was cleaned before.

Stropp
25th November 2016, 11:24 PM
Yeah it is grease. But that was cleaned before.

Clean it again 🙄

MB
26th November 2016, 12:57 AM
Luve ya mate, just drive the bastard :-) !!

AB
26th November 2016, 01:22 PM
Clean it again All clean...lol

Even just turning the wheel grease comes back on the ball joint.

Noticed that hub was pretty stiff to lock too.

Cv issues?

Clunk
26th November 2016, 01:33 PM
All clean...lol

Even just turning the wheel grease comes back on the ball joint.

Noticed that hub was pretty stiff to lock too.

Cv issues?
Too much grease

Ben-e-boy
26th November 2016, 03:56 PM
Too much grease

Yep........

Clunk
26th November 2016, 06:48 PM
Yep........
are you being sarcastic? Or was I actually correct for once?

BigRAWesty
26th November 2016, 07:05 PM
Nup..
After seeing that pic she's been over greased.
So when it's all heated up its pushed out.
And now when cold it's to much for the seal to wipe away..

AB
26th November 2016, 07:20 PM
So can someone confirm happy AB driving lol

AB
26th November 2016, 07:24 PM
Because after 9 months of shit, today, I moved all of the crap out of my carport and I officially have old GQ sitting here! I could've had another "bastard" child in that time!

Ben-e-boy
26th November 2016, 07:49 PM

Yeah I was agreeing. If I'm not mistaken that was your 3rd correct and helpful post.

TPC
26th November 2016, 07:56 PM

Yeah I was agreeing. If I'm not mistaken that was your 3rd correct and helpful post.

Do they still have that show "Ripley's Believe It Or Not"?

AB
26th November 2016, 07:59 PM
Do they still have that show "Ripley's Believe It Or Not"? It was canned years ago but rumour has it they're watching NissanPatrol.com.au and a sequel on the horizon.

Clunk
26th November 2016, 08:00 PM
Because after 9 months of shit, today, I moved all of the crap out of my carport and I officially have old GQ sitting here! I could've had another "bastard" child in that time!
I've been thinking about trading in the old Q for a Navara

AB
26th November 2016, 08:07 PM
I've been thinking about trading in the old Q for a Navara ..........

Clunk
26th November 2016, 09:09 PM
A nice ST-x 550

Clunk
26th November 2016, 09:29 PM
Or even a nice ford ranger wildtrack

TPC
27th November 2016, 10:47 AM
I've been thinking about trading in the old Q for a Navara

A nice ST-x 550

Or even a nice ford ranger wildtrack

Before you take the plunge maybe you should try wearing a skirt for a week to see if the lifestyle change will suit you.

Clunk
27th November 2016, 11:24 AM
Before you take the plunge maybe you should try wearing a skirt for a week to see if the lifestyle change will suit you.
I don't see what difference a week on top of a lifetime will make

AB
27th November 2016, 01:30 PM
Official post #4

Had the morning free so Rossco, MB and I went for a little drive for 5 hours and it drove great and 100% no turbo leaking so I can hopefully try to forget about that and be confident this turbo is reliable!

Actually went "offroading" today, first time in 9 months!!!

Coming down a pretty long, steep and tight descent we were met with 6 trail bikers who where at the bottom of the hill and didn't wait for us and continued up the climb with no room next to us they all screamed up the hill mm away from my car throwing up rocks, etc. Absolute muppets and after the first few came past me I was very tempted to run the rest over, disrespectful little buggers!!!

MB
27th November 2016, 01:35 PM
I'd check your undercarriage if I were you mate....I counted 7 ;-)

Rossco
27th November 2016, 07:03 PM
Yeah was good, thanks haven't been out for ages. We really are lucky having such nice bush so close although toolangi can get busy and there's always a few Muppets to be found like those dudes shooting near the track where we stopped - scared my poor little doggie.

Was still good found some nice areas further or the back which was nice. Was good to go for a spin in the GQ they both semmed to behave themselves as they should. ☺

AB
27th November 2016, 07:11 PM
Yeah was good, thanks haven't been out for ages. We really are lucky having such nice bush so close although toolangi can get busy and there's always a few Muppets to be found like those dudes shooting near the track where we stopped - scared my poor little doggie. Was still good found some nice areas further or the back which was nice. Was good to go for a spin in the GQ they both semmed to behave themselves as they should. ? It was nerve racking driving up the slide going past where my engine blew....lol

Winnie
27th November 2016, 07:37 PM
Did you guys get any pics?

nissannewby
27th November 2016, 07:40 PM

Suspected diff bent?

nissannewby

Does it smell like gear oil or grease?

nissannewby
27th November 2016, 07:41 PM

Did you do anything with the crap or just move it to another spot :p

Winnie
27th November 2016, 07:41 PM
Did you do anything with the crap or just move it to another spot :p
It's in the garden now

MB
27th November 2016, 07:52 PM
Unfortunately/Deliberately not :-(
We've been meaning to talk to taslucas about an idea for his ventures:-)

AB
27th November 2016, 08:00 PM
Does it smell like gear oil or grease? It smelt like grease to me.

AB
27th November 2016, 08:00 PM
Did you do anything with the crap or just move it to another spot :p Relocation lol

Rossco
27th November 2016, 08:48 PM
Only got a few unfortunately.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/11/249.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/11/250.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/11/251.jpg

Winnie
27th November 2016, 08:52 PM
Yeah nice, love a good shed skid!

Stropp
27th November 2016, 09:28 PM
So can someone confirm happy AB driving lol

Yes I can confirm, mind you I don't know but I can confirm 😝

AB
28th November 2016, 08:07 PM
Only got a few unfortunately. Nothing better than a two car convoy, covered a lot of area and no fuss!

I wouldn't be surprised if Toolangi gets closed in the future though.

AB
6th December 2016, 08:32 PM
Still what looks like to me grease coming out of the ball joint after a clean and drive.

As mentioned above, over greased so do I need to do anything or just enjoy the greeezy love?

Kimbo63
6th December 2016, 08:52 PM
Still what looks like to me grease coming out of the ball joint after a clean and drive.

As mentioned above, over greased so do I need to do anything or just enjoy the greeezy love?
Enjoy mate

nissannewby
7th January 2017, 07:17 PM
AB

Update mate. How is she all going? Driveability etc.

AB
7th January 2017, 07:44 PM
AB Update mate. How is she all going? Driveability etc. Just drove a total of 10 hours with off-roading and long steep climbs and hot weather.

Runs a lot cooler than my old one. Temps are perfect!

It just pulls up hills like a dream!

Even our worst section heading up a long steep 4wd track very rutted for at least 10minutes solid powering up in 2nd low at 2200 only got to 95 degrees and EGT was 400.

Had similar temps as above on other hills when lagging around 1900rpm so if you keep it spooling at 2200 to 3000 it loves it!

Engine seems great, turbo is sensational in the high country, many times I hit big hills not concentrating in 2nd and should've been in first and the turbo spools up to 2200 with no lagging and next minute your charging up the hill.

Absolutely blew marks Mrs GU ht18 away on the black stuff windy steep hills with Marks car to the boards and mine 1/3 pedal.

MB
7th January 2017, 08:10 PM
It was super impressive Mat !
Very hot dry ambient temps and super steep very long climbs he had zero stress!! From what I could see vertically above on the tracks there was no crazy wheelspinning and his power appeared very tamable of which I had grandpa worries with such a beast.
Job well done gents, you've all nailed it I reckon :-) !!

Winnie
7th January 2017, 08:33 PM
It was super impressive Mat !
Very hot dry ambient temps and super steep very long climbs he had zero stress!! From what I could see vertically above on the tracks there was no crazy wheelspinning and his power appeared very tamable of which I had grandpa worries with such a beast.
Job well done gents, you've all nailed it I reckon :-) !!
He will still stress about it though!
Glad to hear it is all going perfectly Andy! Time to enjoy this beast you have created now with no more hassles!

Rossco
7th January 2017, 09:27 PM
Sounds like it's going great AB good to hear, yep now time to enjoy the thing. Looks like you guys had a good time certainly world have been good weather for it. Funny woods point doesn't get to busy this time is year, tis good tho reckon the bottom end towards kevington / jameson would be pretty chockers. . .

AB
7th January 2017, 10:04 PM
Sounds like it's going great AB good to hear, yep now time to enjoy the thing. Looks like you guys had a good time certainly world have been good weather for it. Funny woods point doesn't get to busy this time is year, tis good tho reckon the bottom end towards kevington / jameson would be pretty chockers. . . It is funny mate, remember when Dazz and I went there on oz weekend and it was pretty much the same. Very interesting!

Thanks for looking after the princesses ;)

Rossco
7th January 2017, 10:16 PM
It is funny mate, remember when Dazz and I went there on oz weekend and it was pretty much the same. Very interesting!

Thanks for looking after the princesses ;)
No dramas, jack is crazy loves his little rock game launching himself off the deck through the rails haha . . . Crazy jack russells. . .

AB
8th January 2017, 07:35 PM
He will still stress about it though! Glad to hear it is all going perfectly Andy! Time to enjoy this beast you have created now with no more hassles! Oil levels are fine so my fear of turbo leaking are diminishing..lol

I still have a cringe when I'm lagging up a hill waiting for a bang but that will hopefully subside in due course ;)

mudski
9th January 2017, 04:15 PM

Change the axel seal and be done with it. If you havent already get yourself a oil seal installation tool, about $30 on fleabay, and a good oil seal pick.
If have both you can use if you dont have them.

mudski
9th January 2017, 04:21 PM
Just drove a total of 10 hours with off-roading and long steep climbs and hot weather.

Runs a lot cooler than my old one. Temps are perfect!

It just pulls up hills like a dream!

Even our worst section heading up a long steep 4wd track very rutted for at least 10minutes solid powering up in 2nd low at 2200 only got to 95 degrees and EGT was 400.

Had similar temps as above on other hills when lagging around 1900rpm so if you keep it spooling at 2200 to 3000 it loves it!

Engine seems great, turbo is sensational in the high country, many times I hit big hills not concentrating in 2nd and should've been in first and the turbo spools up to 2200 with no lagging and next minute your charging up the hill.

Absolutely blew marks Mrs GU ht18 away on the black stuff windy steep hills with Marks car to the boards and mine 1/3 pedal.

Its great having power on tap hey! My car fully loaded at 3.18t and dragging a 1.7t camper i rarely had to reach for 4th on hills. But i only did actually because last time i did this same trip i cooked the gear oil because the 5th gear loving and couldnt change gears when coming into towns. So i now drop it back to 4th and ease off a little.
The only slight issue is i have to clean the back of the car and front of the camper from black soot. Lol.

AB
10th January 2017, 05:58 PM
Change the axel seal and be done with it. If you havent already get yourself a oil seal installation tool, about $30 on fleabay, and a good oil seal pick. If have both you can use if you dont have them. Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk It was leaking after a little front wheel airtime on Ellis track, seal was replaced and it started leaking again a month later.

I'll get the seal done again and fingers crossed!

mudski
10th January 2017, 09:33 PM
It was leaking after a little front wheel airtime on Ellis track, seal was replaced and it started leaking again a month later.

I'll get the seal done again and fingers crossed!
Yeah i found them to be a pain. I reckon ive changed the rhs three times.before if finally stopped. Now the lhs has decided to start. Not a lot, probably the same as yours, bit enough to annoy me as i know its not right.

BigRAWesty
11th January 2017, 12:21 PM
Soo..
Whens the party?
Ive got 5 days off over Australia day

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk

TPC
11th January 2017, 12:35 PM
Soo..
Whens the party?
Ive got 5 days off over Australia day

What he said.

AB
11th January 2017, 02:26 PM
Sorry folks it's been hectic lately.

Leah's been in hospital for the last 7 days and I'm working and looking after kiddies.

Finances are crucified too unfortunately to host anything like this.

Give me some time and hopefully things can get back in order.

2017 has been a shitful start for us unfortunately!

TPC
11th January 2017, 04:11 PM

Leah's been in hospital for the last 7 days and I'm working and looking after kiddies.

Didn't mean to put any stress on you, we were just after an excuse to get together.
I hope everything is ok with Leah & hopefully things will improve for you.

AB
11th January 2017, 04:38 PM
Didn't mean to put any stress on you, we were just after an excuse to get together. I hope everything is ok with Leah & hopefully things will improve for you. I'm keen to do this mate as a thank you and well...Another party really ;)

Just a horrible start for us mate.

gubigfish
11th January 2017, 05:13 PM
Get yourselves healthy a party can wait

BigRAWesty
11th January 2017, 09:39 PM
Family first mate as always.
Get everyone healthy and well.
Id say im more than happy to chip in, but i think i still owe you $20 from the last one.. lol
We were all in such fine form Sunday..
Longest drive of my life!!

mudski
11th January 2017, 10:06 PM

Uhm. Whats wrong with old mate rossco taking the reigns? He lives across the road....
We'll block his dunny this time. :)

Clunk
11th January 2017, 10:17 PM
I reckon you should all turn up to BAs new place

Plasnart
11th January 2017, 10:22 PM
Family first mate as always.
Get everyone healthy and well.
Id say im more than happy to chip in, but i think i still owe you $20 from the last one.. lol
We were all in such fine form Sunday..
Longest drive of my life!!

Me too! And I only had to go a quarter of the way you did!!

Plasnart
11th January 2017, 10:26 PM
I reckon you should all turn up to BAs new place

Haha only if you're first on the doorstep Clunky! Then we can all laugh at your twin black eyes all night.

Clunk
11th January 2017, 10:27 PM
Haha only if you're first on the doorstep Clunky! Then we can all laugh at your twin black eyes all night.
Nahhhhh he wouldn't do that, he lurrrvs me [emoji8]

AB
11th January 2017, 10:43 PM
Family first mate as always. Get everyone healthy and well. Id say im more than happy to chip in, but i think i still owe you $20 from the last one.. lol We were all in such fine form Sunday.. Longest drive of my life!! Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk No more donations mate, but thanks for the thought.

AB
11th January 2017, 10:44 PM
Uhm. Whats wrong with old mate rossco taking the reigns? He lives across the road.... We'll block his dunny this time. :) Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk Now there's a grand idea and an easy walk home lol

MudRunnerTD
14th February 2017, 11:00 PM
Hi guys, I have moved the Donk Party discussion into its own thread and can attach a poll in a few days when we have some details.

See this thread.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?39461-ABs-Donk-Party

AB
27th February 2017, 05:17 PM
Well the new engine just did its second major run down to Dargo for Winnie's wedding. Approx 12 total hours and didn't use a drop of oil or coolant.

This set up is amazing for climbing long hills and no overheating issues which is a relief.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/02/200.jpg

Winnie
27th February 2017, 05:27 PM
It sounded great as you left

nissannewby
27th February 2017, 09:38 PM
We have just put a 3.5" exhaust on the one I am doing up here. Sounds real nice.

AB
2nd July 2017, 01:12 PM
Finally had a couple of hours kid free!!

Replaced the 4" inlet with a nice wanker shiny alum one!

Also installed the line for the td42t vacuum to a T on the alternator Vac line, dual Vac!!!

Brakes are a lot better now!

Would it be worth getting a bigger canister now?http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/40.jpg

Rossco
2nd July 2017, 01:38 PM
Finally had a couple of hours kid free!!

Replaced the 4" inlet with a nice wanker shiny alum one!

Also installed the line for the td42t vacuum to a T on the alternator Vac line, dual Vac!!!

Brakes are a lot better now!

Would it be worth getting a bigger canister now?http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/40.jpg

Ooh shiny. . Yeah nice cool mod. Yeah don't know if bigger can would be good or not probly help in those long idling crazy down hills but with double vac might not need it. . Better go testing.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

AB
2nd July 2017, 01:50 PM
We were way off too. The line tucks right up under the sump mounting to the timing case and block as below.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/43.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/44.jpg

Rossco
2nd July 2017, 05:35 PM
Oh wow, yeah that looks heaps better. I wonder if that sound deadening mat on the sump does much, might try it out one day if i have any leftovers. .

AB
2nd July 2017, 05:40 PM
Oh wow, yeah that looks heaps better. I wonder if that sound deadening mat on the sump does much, might try it out one day if i have any leftovers. .

I was thinking why we didn't spot those vac line mounts on your silver top and then thought maybe you don't even have it as that wasn't needed back then of course.

AB
25th August 2017, 09:30 PM
Soooo we just did the snow trip and as some of you know my intercooler has been leaking and I've gradually being losing boost and power

Can't believe the good members on that trip here haven't bagged me out yet, bloody good blokes!!!

So I'm sitting in my Gq in thick snow, Saturday morning cold as F ready to do a day trip of tracks.

Trying to reach operating temp so pull the idle out and nothing happens????

Annnnd it turns out my IC and piping is 100% fine!!!

At that moment I pulled the idle screw out and no response it clicked I have an issue with my throttle cable!!!

Low and behold the bloody nuts have been slowly working loose over the last month...lol

I blame Matty really, totally his fault for not asking me to check if the bloody throttle control on the injector pump has been slowly winding out over time!

So Matty vic asks for a 10mm, then a 12mm, then a 13mm in which we thought 13? And then finally a 14mm spanner, 23 seconds later my beast is back, better than ever!!!

Embarrassment!!

MudRunnerTD
25th August 2017, 09:36 PM
soooo we just did the snow trip and as some of you know my intercooler has been leaking and i've gradually being losing boost and power

can't believe the good members on that trip here haven't bagged me out yet, bloody good blokes!!!

So i'm sitting in my gq in thick snow, saturday morning cold as f ready to do a day trip of tracks.

Annnnd it turns out my ic and piping is 100% fine!!!

At that moment i pulled the idle screw out and no response it clicked i have an issue with my throttle cable!!!

Low and behold the bloody nuts have been slowly working loose over the last month...lol

i blame matty really, totally his fault for not asking me to check if the bloody throttle control on the injector pump has been slowly winding out over time!

So matty vic asks for a 10mm, then a 12mm, then a 13mm in which we thought 13? And then finally a 14mm spanner, 23 seconds later my beast is back, better than ever!!!

Embarrassment!!

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk

D i c k H e a d ! ! ! !

Rossco
25th August 2017, 09:40 PM
Classic ! ! Matty to the rescue again [emoji6]

AB
25th August 2017, 09:42 PM
d i c k h e a d ! ! ! !

Don't you start bro you didn't help us either that day old mate lol http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/08/243.jpg

MudRunnerTD
25th August 2017, 09:44 PM
Don't you start bro you didn't help us either that day old mate lol http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/08/243.jpg

B I a t c h !!!

AB
25th August 2017, 09:45 PM
D i c k H e a d ! ! ! !

Did you edit your post to add an extra explanation mark?

I can handle 3 but 4 is just plan rude lol

AB
25th August 2017, 09:48 PM
Who the hell checks if for some reason your throttle cable nuts are coming lose!!!

nissannewby
25th August 2017, 09:49 PM
Good one AB

nissannewby
25th August 2017, 09:50 PM
Who the hell checks if for some reason your throttle cable nuts are coming lose!!!

Always check the simple things mate. How did you notnfeel you had heaps of free play prior to actual rpm change?

TPC
25th August 2017, 09:51 PM
Soooo we just did the snow trip and as some of you know my intercooler has been leaking and I've gradually being losing boost and power

Can't believe the good members on that trip here haven't bagged me out yet, bloody good blokes!!!

So I'm sitting in my Gq in thick snow, Saturday morning cold as F ready to do a day trip of tracks.

Annnnd it turns out my IC and piping is 100% fine!!!

At that moment I pulled the idle screw out and no response it clicked I have an issue with my throttle cable!!!

I blame Matty really, totally his fault for not asking me to check if the bloody throttle control on the injector pump has been slowly winding out over time!

So Matty vic asks for a 10mm, then a 12mm, then a 13mm in which we thought 13? And then finally a 14mm spanner, 23 seconds later my beast is back, better than ever!!!

Embarrassment!!

Sprock
25th August 2017, 09:56 PM
HAHAHAHAHA that's why we couldn't find a boost leak at Licola forum trip - COS IT WASNT THERE !!!!! 😝🤣😂

AB
25th August 2017, 09:57 PM
Always check the simple things mate. How did you notnfeel you had heaps of free play prior to actual rpm change?

I thought my gout was coming down to be honest... lol

Nah honestly mate I didn't notice the change until that day.

I don't drive it much, when I came back from the last trip it was only used twice down to town so I didn't notice it but this long drive to Licola must've wound it further to a umm more noticeable change!!!

Sprock
25th August 2017, 09:58 PM
I'm with MudRunnerTD - DICKHEAD , & nissannewby - always check the obvious things . You wouldn't be the 1st bloke to rebuild the engine only to find the fuel filters are blocked 😝

MB
25th August 2017, 10:16 PM
nissannewby mate, sadly/sadistically enjoyed the whole saga by having the old 6.5 for once gaining on him up the highway ;-) Oh well, short lived glory, he's found & fixed it now :-)

nissannewby
25th August 2017, 10:24 PM
nissannewby mate, sadly/sadistically enjoyed the whole saga by having the old 6.5 for once gaining on him up the highway ;-) Oh well, short lived glory, he's found & fixed it now :-)

Thats right mark take it while you can I suppose. If only Andy would take my advice and turn the wick up again on the old girl then he will be further out of reach.

MB
25th August 2017, 10:31 PM
Tis a weapon mate for sure, grouse :-)
And to clear the worries AB NO I would never mess with anyones trucks ever . !

AB
25th August 2017, 10:37 PM
Thats right mark take it while you can I suppose. If only Andy would take my advice and turn the wick up again on the old girl then he will be further out of reach.

Still smoke the chev as it is in dormant mode bro....sorry blood bro :(

AB
25th August 2017, 10:39 PM
If say one was to say wind the wick up what would one wind wick up to. Back to 32psi?

nissannewby
25th August 2017, 10:42 PM
If say one was to say wind the wick up what would one wind wick up to. Back to 32psi?

28-30 will be plenty. Get cruise egts up a little and bump some fuel in and she will be sweet.

MB
25th August 2017, 10:45 PM
I'd be getting too old now you 200rwkw ++ awesome nutters :-)
Stalling big Cwappy Twactors down steep compression slow view tops will serve me just fine for now ;-)

AB
25th August 2017, 10:53 PM
28-30 will be plenty. Get cruise egts up a little and bump some fuel in and she will be sweet.

I'm amazed by the egts on this set up!

I actually had a call from hutch tonight, he's on his way down from Weipa to see us.

The ufi guys up there are gobsmacked and flogging cruisers.

They are asking questions of who, how and what and he's playing games not saying anything "not sure really, couple of guys put this turbo and pump on, don't know what it is, etc" and they are shitty and very jelly.

They do a lot of towing toys up there and hutch had 3 tonne and old mate cruiser said go in front to set the pace, he said it's ok you take it, old mate toeing half weight.

Hutch playing games overtaking on long hills and they were shocked.

nissannewby
25th August 2017, 10:57 PM
I wonder if he would be interested in stopping by on his way through.

AB
25th August 2017, 10:59 PM
I wonder if he would be interested in stopping by on his way through.

Nah he's already half way down through inland Qld unfortunately mate.

AB
25th August 2017, 11:00 PM
He's doing a long tour on long service leave...

nissannewby
25th August 2017, 11:07 PM
Nah he's already half way down through inland Qld unfortunately mate.

Still gotta go home at some point..... lol

AB
25th August 2017, 11:07 PM
Leave it with me lol

MudRunnerTD
26th August 2017, 06:00 AM
I've had mine pumping out 28psi since fitting and it's loving it mate

AB
25th September 2017, 05:37 PM
Thread dig!

Been a while since I've done anything on the old girl but finally saved enough to fix the front diff!

Booked in to get the front and rear gu diffs, braced, cv and brakes obviously and gu steering box at Patrolapart!

Getting them to spray both diffs black so I can look like a fancy wanker too!!!

Rossco
25th September 2017, 05:44 PM
Awsome gonna be strong as now and a GQ with brakes, that's what dreams are made of. Should chuck a set of boss tower braces in too while your all excited. . .

TPC
25th September 2017, 06:59 PM
Getting them to spray both diffs black so I can look like a fancy wanker too!!!

Should get some blue lights under the car too so you can be a total tool. ;)

AB
25th September 2017, 07:17 PM
Should get some blue lights under the car too so you can be a total tool. ;)

I got red but blue could be cool too, or flashing alternating blue/red...hmmm...

TPC
25th September 2017, 07:20 PM
I got red but blue could be cool too, or flashing alternating blue/red...hmmm...

Flashing red and blue gets you in big trouble.
Do it, I dare you.

PeeBee
25th September 2017, 09:33 PM
Flashing red and blue gets you in big trouble.
Do it, I dare you.

I will even donate my Vicpol siren just to cap off the effect, but you gotta use it every time you drive down the mountain!

MudRunnerTD
25th September 2017, 10:02 PM
Awesome mate. Huge upgrade.

AB
6th October 2017, 04:56 PM
Huge upgrade, I HAVE BRAKES!!!

Gu diffs and braced, they don't stick out too much and I may get away with it, did I mention I have brakes!!http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/10/27.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/10/28.jpg

jay see
6th October 2017, 05:41 PM

Gu diffs and braced, they don't stick out too much and I may get away with it, did I mention I have brakes!!http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/10/27.jpg

Brakes you say...

That's a good option to have.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

Winnie
6th October 2017, 05:41 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkDoes it stop though?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Rossco
6th October 2017, 05:48 PM
Oh what that was quick ! Nice one . . . SHINEY BITS ☺ . . .

AB
6th October 2017, 06:15 PM
Does it stop though?

I've gone from a 40m stop to 10 lol

mudski
6th October 2017, 06:45 PM

Gu diffs and braced, they don't stick out too much and I may get away with it, did I mention I have brakes!!

Now you can put the TB48 front calipers on. Then you will know what brakes are about. You will also require a racing harness fitted so you dont get whiplash. Lol.

Who done the bracing?

AB
6th October 2017, 06:52 PM
Forgot to mention, the silver top is back!!!!!http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/10/29.jpg

AB
6th October 2017, 06:53 PM
Now you can put the TB48 front calipers on. Then you will know what brakes are about. You will also require a racing harness fitted so you dont get whiplash. Lol.

Who done the bracing?

Patrolapart mate, did a great job!!!

Winnie
6th October 2017, 06:56 PM
Forgot to mention, the silver top is back!!!!!http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/10/29.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkLooks original ;)

mudski
6th October 2017, 07:02 PM
We all know what it really is though.

AB
6th October 2017, 07:22 PM
Probably should do a better pic, the extra 20mm does make a difference.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/10/30.jpg

Rossco
6th October 2017, 07:34 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNICE [emoji4]. . . Thought it sounded better coming down the road

AB
6th October 2017, 07:58 PM
NICE [emoji4]. . . Thought it sounded better coming down the road

Not only sound but a definite improvement of power I noticed too ;)

Winnie
6th October 2017, 08:13 PM
Not only sound but a definite improvement of power I noticed too ;)

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIts a GQ thing.

MudRunnerTD
6th October 2017, 08:28 PM
Brakes rock!!! Best part about the upgrade I reckon. Beast.

Clunk
6th October 2017, 09:28 PM
Probably should do a better pic, the extra 20mm does make a difference.http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/10/30.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkWhat offset rims?

Maxhead
7th October 2017, 06:06 AM
Its a GQ thing.

I think you mean GU. I don't think there's any GQ bits left on Andy's [emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]

................on the road

BigRAWesty
7th October 2017, 07:56 AM
Awesome stuff.. looks good.

AB
7th October 2017, 04:48 PM
What offset rims?

Thats a good question, I can't even remember now! I think -22, I'm running 35x12.5 R15, pretty deep dish, -22?

jay see
7th October 2017, 06:11 PM
Thats a good question, I can't even remember now! I think -22, I'm running 35x12.5 R15, pretty deep dish, -22?What size rims?
I could measure up aginset mine. I'm running -13 on 8" rims.

AB
7th October 2017, 06:32 PM
What size rims?
I could measure up aginset mine. I'm running -13 on 8" rims.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk15 mate....

Winnie
7th October 2017, 06:36 PM
15 mate....Mine are definite -22 if you measure the lip on them I can compare to mine when I get home in a little while?

PeeBee
7th October 2017, 06:52 PM
I see you can buy Neg 44 rims also - I think matfew has these on his rig? If I decide to go the 35" route these are probably going to be my choise as the rims sit way inside the panel, and since mine is not a 'twisty sister machine', these will work well.

jay see
7th October 2017, 07:08 PM
15 mate....I know that, how wide??

Can measure from the lip to the face.

jay see
7th October 2017, 07:11 PM
Mine are definite -22 if you measure the lip on them I can compare to mine when I get home in a little while?

Sent from my SM-G935F using TapatalkWouldn't it be different if one is 7" and the other is 8". What's why I asked for the width of the rim.

AB
7th October 2017, 07:17 PM
I know that, how wide??

Can measure from the lip to the face.

Sorry mate blonde moment, 15x8

Winnie
7th October 2017, 08:42 PM
Wouldn't it be different if one is 7" and the other is 8". What's why I asked for the width of the rim.

Sent from my A1601 using TapatalkYeah but I know that his and mine are both 8" wide. I'll go measure the lip before I go to bed.

jay see
7th October 2017, 08:51 PM
Yeah but I know that his and mine are both 8" wide. I'll go measure the lip before I go to bed.

Sent from my SM-G935F using TapatalkI didn't. AB had that blonde moment..

Should be easy to work out knowing that there are both the same size.

Winnie
7th October 2017, 08:57 PM
Around 90-100mm
Not the most accurate way of measuring but should be close enough to work it out. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/10/33.jpg

jay see
7th October 2017, 09:00 PM
Come on AB go do the same, we need to know.

Clunk
7th October 2017, 09:42 PM
Come on @AB (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/member.php?u=1) go do the same, we need to know.

it's AB's showertime

AB
8th October 2017, 08:18 AM
Around 90-100mm
Not the most accurate way of measuring but should be close enough to work it out. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/10/33.jpg

Sorry about the delay, was a long shower... Exactly the same as your pic Winnie.

AB
10th October 2017, 06:27 PM
Feels a lot different to drive now with the GU diffs that's for sure, feels a bit heavier.

Turning circle might be a bit less too, need to confirm that with more driving, would they have to put stops in with this mod?

nissannewby
10th October 2017, 08:24 PM
Feels a lot different to drive now with the GU diffs that's for sure, feels a bit heavier.

Turning circle might be a bit less too, need to confirm that with more driving, would they have to put stops in with this mod?

The stops should be all there mate just like on the gq items. It will feel different due to geometry being different between gq and gu diffs. The heaviness you feel is a slower turn in but once turned will fee better. Apart from the width there is quite a bit of difference in king pin inclination

AB
10th October 2017, 08:31 PM
Thanks Matty, wasn't sure if it was the old placebo effect with geometry but it just felt like the car was wider and steering was all new. I know it's only 20mm each side but a whole new game to get used to.

Rossco
10th October 2017, 09:28 PM
What about steering box is that a GU one now? Might change steering feel too. I know after getting my new steering box felt different first time i drive it for some reason. It's still a GQ one but felt like more turns lock to lock? . .

AB
11th October 2017, 05:58 AM
Yep GU box as well.

Rossco
11th October 2017, 09:23 AM
Now you just need a GU body swap and she'll be just about done! [emoji6]She's nearly turning into as much of a mongrel as mine [emoji28] . . .

AB
12th October 2017, 06:33 PM
She's nearly turning into as much of a mongrel as mine [emoji28] . . .

Might have to create wanker name for mine lol