PDA

View Full Version : Hi

slimer2007
28th January 2014, 06:33 PM
Hi my name is slimer2007,

I am currently thinking of buying a GU patrol wagon as my next car. I'm wanting to know what are the good and bad points of this vehicle especially the diesel motor.
Thanks

growler2058
28th January 2014, 06:36 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard. 2000-2003 are motors that require NADS to stop them:blowup:

slimer2007
28th January 2014, 06:43 PM
Wow thanks for the quick reply! Am trying to do the right thing by introducing myself before asking ? But was having a shocker of a time trying to figure out how to post! Am looking at a 1998 gu with td28t a little underpowered but will do to start, have a very expanding family!!!!!

Dhuck
28th January 2014, 06:45 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

slimer2007
28th January 2014, 06:51 PM
Thanks, am greatful for the welcomes, everyone on here seems very helpful from the other threads I have read, so as it goes I will try to figure out how to edit my profile a little more to intro myself properly, cheers

Patrol-Guy
28th January 2014, 07:21 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum.

slimer2007
28th January 2014, 07:30 PM
Hi growler2058 But nads?? Aren't the 2000/3 models with the zd30? I was under the impression that these had porous heads and to stay away from them? Have I been given good advice or dud steer? Thanks

growler2058
28th January 2014, 08:01 PM
Hi growler2058 But nads?? Aren't the 2000/3 models with the zd30? I was under the impression that these had porous heads and to stay away from them? Have I been given good advice or dud steer? Thanks

The NADS mods will save a zd30 so no you haven't been totally ill advised. I haven't heard of pours heads though

my third 256
30th January 2014, 07:26 AM
Welcome to the forum mate have a good time

threedogs
30th January 2014, 07:40 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum, your choice of motor is ok , you just need to keep the revs up from what I hear,
Anyway jump in anytime you can and enjoy
Does it need to be diesel, as a 4.5 has power to burn ,be it a tad thirsty but driven smoothly it might return better figures

AB
30th January 2014, 07:43 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

PMC
31st January 2014, 09:35 PM
Hi my name is slimer2007,

I am currently thinking of buying a GU patrol wagon as my next car. I'm wanting to know what are the good and bad points of this vehicle especially the diesel motor.
Thanks

G’day slimer,

Welcome aboard mate! I hope you enjoy your stay with this great forum and its members!

PS, i hope you are here for the long run!

Regards,

RLI

slimer2007
1st February 2014, 10:33 PM
G'day mate, sorry for the slow reply, time is at a premium at the moment so will post when I can. The nads mod that you are talking about, sound like a nuffy here but what exactly are they? Am always interested in different mods so if you have the time a wee bit of education would be appreciated. As for porus heads on zd30 I have seen probably 6 or 7 in my time as mechanic, the symptoms are using coolant and hard starting. It's easy to diagnose if these symptoms show up, take off the inlet manifold and look down no.2 cylinder with a pressure tester on the radiator and you will probably see coolant very slowly leaking in to the port. From what I can tell, most of the zd30 engines have had heads recond by now so it will probably be a rare to find. When I was in the nt I used to send heads to coulthards in Adelaide for reco, they told me back in the day that Nissan cast the heads with sand trapped in the spot where the leak developed and they quickly fixed it factory wise so they probably are rare to find like this now. Haven't done one in probably five or six years now so with a bit of luck I won't again!!! Definitely don't want to put down zd30 s tho, have done quite few services on several with no bad news so can't complain! Thanks again for the advice, any day is a good day to learn something new! Cheers

slimer2007
1st February 2014, 10:38 PM
Wow thanks am keen on being around on here for a while it's always interesting hearing different advice on some of the problems we all encounter with our vehicles! An easier way to fix things makes my day I can tell you!

slimer2007
1st February 2014, 10:46 PM
Thanks again for the welcome, much appreciated. Diesel engine is the way to go for me, I use enough petrol in my ford v8s so a bit of torque to lug the trailer and family around sounds good. Gotta admit tho the patrol does have a nice big engine bay and I have an abundance of efi Windsor v8s around here...... Hmmmm...... Nah leave It alone!!!! Still haven't made up my mind on what model exactly to buy yet so who knows......

slimer2007
1st February 2014, 10:53 PM
Just out of curiosity has anyone done an auto conversion in a rd28 gu? I'm getting lazy in my old age and our location requires long distance travelling to get to a major city, and yes I'm lazy, but am over changing gears. Have got my eyes on a gu patrol with most options but has a rd28 and the price is exceptionally good, so I guess I'm fairly keen on it. Thanks again for all the welcomes!