PDA

View Full Version : HID headlights

SEALEGEND
28th January 2014, 05:20 PM
Has anyone put a HID headlight kit on their GU - are they legal?

mudski
28th January 2014, 05:23 PM
Yes I have. Projectors and hid's and they are not legal. Hid's in the standard headlights do give a brighter light but for on coming traffic it is aweful. Thats why I went with projectors aswell but still nor legal.

threedogs
28th January 2014, 05:40 PM
Illegal but most have them just pick a lower colour of 4000 kelven
6000 is white and higher will see it turn blue, just keep a set of
halogen globes in your door pocket just in case

lhurley
28th January 2014, 09:14 PM
Put some projectors in. Hids are illegal without projectors, and projectors are illegal without an auto leveling system.

Every person who drives towards you will thank you for putting in projectors.

I used to have 50w hids in my old falcon, I would get flashed by nearly ever person driving the opposite direction. I put in some projectors and I didn't get flashed once with them. I had them in for about 6 months before I sold the car.

mudski
29th January 2014, 02:07 PM
Speaking of levelers. Did you know that the Patrols in Europe have an auto leveling system in their headlights? I didn't until I spotted one leveling motor for a GU Patrol on Ebay.

oncedisturbed
29th January 2014, 02:10 PM
I have 35w 6000k hid's in my 09 GU wagon. No problems at at all as they have they glare shield / washer which also levels them. They sit exactly the same as the normal h4 globes I had in originally but alot clearer, no issues with other drivers or Mr Plod (already had them check it).

lhurley
29th January 2014, 08:00 PM
Speaking of levelers. Did you know that the Patrols in Europe have an auto leveling system in their headlights? I didn't until I spotted one leveling motor for a GU Patrol on Ebay.

Serious? That's awesome. Theoretically patrols can run hids and projectors legally then. In saying that, if it looks neat and tidy and similar to factory you should never have an issue with them.

mudski
29th January 2014, 08:10 PM
Yeah i have been madly trying to get more info on exactly what they require to operate. Also would it be able to be just plugged into the existing loom like most parts on the AU Patrols.
Cant get the ebay link for item as im on MC.

entilzah
29th January 2014, 09:56 PM
my hippo has a 4 position switch for adjusting the headlights from the cabin very nice idea

mudski
30th January 2014, 01:39 AM
Huh?.........

liftlid
30th January 2014, 07:57 AM
my hippo has a 4 position switch for adjusting the headlights from the cabin very nice idea

I wonder where you would put the switch?

04OFF
30th January 2014, 09:53 AM
Ive seen many early euro versions of cars with head light leveling systems and a switch (its not fully auto), it is designed so when you carry a load or tow a trailer, you can easy adjust the headlight back to level with a rotary switch inside the cab, the systems are user controlled mauallly ,you simply adjust the beam angle by eye (my Mercedes Benz Sprinter had this)

HIDs are full auto levelling, and require no user input.

Ive not seen a Patrol with either system, but id say it would have to be the full auto version for HIDs to be legal, also i believe "Headlight Washers" are required to meet ADRs ,on vehicles fitted with HID headlights ?

The bottom line is, retrofitting is illeagal for a reason, they do annoy the crap out of other drivers.

The fact you DONT get "flashed" is NOT proof you are not annoying other drivers !, (i get sick of reading this HID justification comment) i am annoyed by these lights often , and ive NOT ONCE, flashed anyone ,99% of the time HIDs are annoying when they are BEHIND you, blinding you in your own mirrors, and its hard to escape (without adjusting them so you cant use them)

Im lucky, im in 2'' lifted GU on 33s, imagine if im at normal road car height ?

I fear general road users will complain more about 4wds, assuming getting blinded from behind by ultra bright headlights , is due to the height of the vehicle, not realising its actually because of the HID conversion, DOT already seems to be targeting fourby's enough for my liking up here in QLD.

BTW, You can do "legal" bulb upgrades to your lights that work really well (eg phillips/Narva 120 etc), also some guys have upgraded the headlight wires with good results, or for country driving, spotlights work a treat.

the evil twin
30th January 2014, 11:44 AM
What 04OFF said X 2

The "manual levellers" have been around on euro cars for many years.

I had a Renault 12 as a second car for the missus back in the 80's and it had them.

threedogs
30th January 2014, 11:51 AM
Piranha sell the headlight loom upgrade, trouble with the high wattage globes is the heat they generate within the all plastic head light housing.
I don't drive at night very often so cant comment if its annoying but cars/4x4 with one light pointing to the stars and the other on the road annoy me

gaddy
30th January 2014, 12:14 PM
Ive seen many early euro versions of cars with head light leveling systems and a switch (its not fully auto), it is designed so when you carry a load or tow a trailer, you can easy adjust the headlight back to level with a rotary switch inside the cab, the systems are user controlled mauallly ,you simply adjust the beam angle by eye (my Mercedes Benz Sprinter had this)

HIDs are full auto levelling, and require no user input.

Ive not seen a Patrol with either system, but id say it would have to be the full auto version for HIDs to be legal, also i believe "Headlight Washers" are required to meet ADRs ,on vehicles fitted with HID headlights ?

The bottom line is, retrofitting is illeagal for a reason, they do annoy the crap out of other drivers.

The fact you DONT get "flashed" is NOT proof you are not annoying other drivers !, (i get sick of reading this HID justification comment) i am annoyed by these lights often , and ive NOT ONCE, flashed anyone ,99% of the time HIDs are annoying when they are BEHIND you, blinding you in your own mirrors, and its hard to escape (without adjusting them so you cant use them)

Im lucky, im in 2'' lifted GU on 33s, imagine if im at normal road car height ?

I fear general road users will complain more about 4wds, assuming getting blinded from behind by ultra bright headlights , is due to the height of the vehicle, not realising its actually because of the HID conversion, DOT already seems to be targeting fourby's enough for my liking up here in QLD.

BTW, You can do "legal" bulb upgrades to your lights that work really well (eg phillips/Narva 120 etc), also some guys have upgraded the headlight wires with good results, or for country driving, spotlights work a treat.

Yep could not agree more

04OFF
30th January 2014, 12:30 PM
Piranha sell the headlight loom upgrade, trouble with the high wattage globes is the heat they generate within the all plastic head light housing.

I use the Narva PLUS 120, they work great, no increase in power usage or heat and are ADR approved :wink:

http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/performance-globes

the evil twin
30th January 2014, 04:47 PM
I use Philips +100's
Very good low beam and don't need a loom upgrade in a GU.
GQ's benefit from a loom upgrade even with standard lights (as threedogs mentions).
If you can wire up spotties you can DIY a GQ loom upgrade which helps a lot as the off the shelf kits are a tad exxy IMHO

tiny
30th January 2014, 05:08 PM
Only a problem if you get caught on road. Not illegal to have fitted. Put an isolater on main power with two labels.. Club offroad and street..
Worked for my mate a few times and he could light up a T20 at the Gabba...

tiny
30th January 2014, 05:11 PM
Ps if they want to book you they will find something...