PDA

View Full Version : Battery additives

dom14
27th January 2014, 12:34 PM
I'm just wondering whether the battery additives like Inox(Cadmium sulphate) or epsom salt works on old retarded batteries?

I added some Inox, it looks like I've given the battery, a bit more of it's youth back.

I'm not sure how long its' going to last though.

dom14
27th January 2014, 12:37 PM
I'm also wondering the reason behind the difficulty to find an additive to break off the sulphate crystals that kills the old batteries.
The real lead in the plates are still there with the old battery?! Or does it all turn into sulphate?! Just wondering.

threedogs
27th January 2014, 01:32 PM
There was a gizmo a while back that used pulse technology
to re birth old dead batteries. Cant think of the name but was
a small alloy box with a few leads coming of it

dom14
28th January 2014, 02:46 AM
I have a sort of cheap pulse charger. But, it's more like a maintenance charger.
Yeah, I've seen expensive one of those pulse chargers, that claims to bring sulphated dead batteries back to life.
Not sure whether they work or not, though.
Inox additive is a gimmick, I think. It looks like the old battery came back to life, but it looks dead again.
I won't be able to use it for the UPS after all. :1087:

Robo
29th January 2014, 02:41 AM
I v'e used Inox batralite plenty of times and would highly recommend it to anyone in a traditional lead acid battery.
I dose work well.

It all depends on how far gone the old battery is.
And a cheap battery with Poor quality lead plates are always going to be hard to save no matter how good the chemical is or how good your charger is either.

cheap batterys will tend to = less lead in the plates, and , its a give fact over time the lead breaks down.
The sulphate your trying to remove may just be holding the old battery together, add the chemical and battery can literally fall to bits.
hence why m2cw a quality battery should recover better

Ive had a battery start to fail at start of winter, added the stuff and went another 2 yrs on same battery, and no special charging process was employed either to prolong it's life.
actually It was still going well but I sold the car to someone I know And never heard any thing back

waste of time trying to using it in calicum batterys I think.
Apollo batterys a few yrs back used to double warranty if added from new.
If your trying to use it on a battery that is an unknown commodity its a little hit or miss.

Positive electrons are stored on the surface of the plates and are given off/ released into the acid when you use the battery.
The charging process drives the electrons back onto the surface as stored energy.
If the plates are covered in garbage the electrons cant reattach and battery starts to lose capacity.
the chemical dissolves the scum from plates to restore lead face surface area and that's how it works.
that further explains why poor quality plates may not recover well.
hope I shed some light on it for you.
cheers.

Robo
29th January 2014, 02:52 AM

think the pulse charging process works to literally shake the sulphate from the plates.

megatexture
29th January 2014, 08:48 AM
Your thinking of these threedogs http://mobile-energy2.com/product_me2power_pulse.php

My wife's uncle uses them on his standalone solar setup ... He thinks they work ..

threedogs
29th January 2014, 08:57 AM
Thanks MEGA that's the unit, can sleep now lol
So he thinks it works is he trying to sell them.
to me its like those plastic Kangaroo whistles,
haven't hit a roo yet lol,
How would you tell if this pulse technology was working?

That the same technology they use to re birth batteries,
buy new and try for 990 CCA ,your winch will thank you

megatexture
29th January 2014, 09:02 AM
Dono mate, he's got a few thousand$ in batteries as its his only power supply so I think he sees it as cheap insurance,
if it works it works and small loss if its hocus pocus

threedogs
29th January 2014, 09:09 AM
They were all the rage back in the 90s ,
made buy the same mob that make the electronic rust eliminator.
Back to OE post buy new I take it its going into a GQ, if so make sure
your AUX battery tray is in good nick, I've seen plenty where the tray has broken through
the inner guard

dom14
31st January 2014, 01:40 AM
Yeah, mate.
That's good information.
But, I can't find Inox batralite.
This is a stuff I used.
http://www.inoxmx.com/inox/mx2-battery-conditioner/
I used the smallest one. It didn't do anything with the stuffed RACV battery. One of the cells was showing pretty much zero voltage. I put Inox stuff and left it for charge for couple of days.
The battery was swollen like a dead hippo and as a hot as fat lady's ass, when I checked it after couple of days. Just about blow I reckon. The room was pretty smothered with the acid/hydrogen smell. Lucky I got to it on time. I emptied the battery and threw it in the rubbish.
The little backup battery I was using showed some improvement with Inox stuff.

Now I got a cheap reconditioned 4WD battery, while waiting for a new one.

I v'e used Inox batralite plenty of times and would highly recommend it to anyone in a traditional lead acid battery.
I dose work well.

It all depends on how far gone the old battery is.
And a cheap battery with Poor quality lead plates are always going to be hard to save no matter how good the chemical is or how good your charger is either.

cheap batterys will tend to = less lead in the plates, and , its a give fact over time the lead breaks down.
The sulphate your trying to remove may just be holding the old battery together, add the chemical and battery can literally fall to bits.
hence why m2cw a quality battery should recover better

Ive had a battery start to fail at start of winter, added the stuff and went another 2 yrs on same battery, and no special charging process was employed either to prolong it's life.
actually It was still going well but I sold the car to someone I know And never heard any thing back

waste of time trying to using it in calicum batterys I think.
Apollo batterys a few yrs back used to double warranty if added from new.
If your trying to use it on a battery that is an unknown commodity its a little hit or miss.

Positive electrons are stored on the surface of the plates and are given off/ released into the acid when you use the battery.
The charging process drives the electrons back onto the surface as stored energy.
If the plates are covered in garbage the electrons cant reattach and battery starts to lose capacity.
the chemical dissolves the scum from plates to restore lead face surface area and that's how it works.
that further explains why poor quality plates may not recover well.
hope I shed some light on it for you.
cheers.

Robo
31st January 2014, 02:41 PM
Zero volts in 1 cell , I would call a suss battery that proberly isn't worth its weight in feathers.

1 Bad cell, possibly a broken, stuffed plate, no product ,charging should ever fix that.
I looked at the link , may have name wrong but that's the stuff we're talking about.

I'm not going to start talking heavily about this and that,I am no sparky.
we rely on alot of sparkys input don't we.
Can only comment on personal experience with the products use.
have used it about 5 times, 3-4 times a good result
Humm, I spoke with Dad & describe the product to him.
He has a phd in chemistry, maths a physics.
smart guy I guess hay.
I asked him what he thought and with out knowing the product himself personally.
I tried to re-describe his comment from about 10 yrs ago for you.
:beer:

Robo
31st January 2014, 03:07 PM
Was thinking the other night about pulse charger.

Don't the more expensive chargers have a pulse stage as 1 of the processes to improve battery capacity.

dom14
31st January 2014, 05:44 PM
You can get a pulse charger under $100 these days. But, I dunno how good they are.
I reckon good ones are a lot dearer.
I have a 'pulse' charger that I got from ebay, under $50.
It does pulse, but not sure how good it is.
I'm yet to put it into a proper test.
It's pretty good as a maintenance charger though.

Was thinking the other night about pulse charger.

Don't the more expensive chargers have a pulse stage as 1 of the processes to improve battery capacity.

dom14
31st January 2014, 05:50 PM
Yep, the battery is a goner, that's why I threw it out.

What happened to all the pro sparkys in this forum?

Even a backyard sparkys input would be great.

megatexture
31st January 2014, 08:49 PM
I think the general consensus on batteries is that if the battery is stuffed chuck it out personally I wouldn't bother trying to fix it. And I don't really see any shortage of replies to this thread