PDA

View Full Version : catch can

shan-747
25th January 2014, 08:26 PM
hi guys im sure this has been asked before but do you need a pacific oil catch can for a diesel or can i use any catch can?

any info would be awesome thanks guys:D

megatexture
25th January 2014, 10:29 PM
Any catch can will do but some work better than others a lot of people swear by the Provent catch can, myself I couldn't justify the cost so I bought a cheaper one and modified it to work better.

http://www.carformance.com.au/products/provent-mann-hummel/provent-200.html

Just do a little searching to see what others have done

BigRAWesty
25th January 2014, 10:56 PM
Any catch can will do but some work better than others a lot of people swear by the Provent catch can, myself I couldn't justify the cost so I bought a cheaper one and modified it to work better.

http://www.carformance.com.au/products/provent-mann-hummel/provent-200.html

Just do a little searching to see what others have done

X2. Would love to mod the crank vent, and then drain can to sump..
But the provent is very expensive..

shan-747
25th January 2014, 10:58 PM
how did you modifie it to make it better

megatexture
25th January 2014, 11:18 PM
The problem with the cheap ones is the air/oil will enter one hose then exit out right next to the inlet not allowing much if any separation of the air/oil

The Provent ones have a filter that helps separate the two.

I bought a cheap one and put a divider between the inlet/ outlet that went low down close to the bottom so as to allow more time for separation of the vapours and when the oil level is above 10mm in the catch can the air must pass under the divider through the oil to get to the inlet, I have also put a line in at the bottom of the catch can that runs into the wheel arch to a tap I can turn easily to drain it. But I try not to drain too much to keep the level above the divider.
Be aware some of the cheap cans come with hose and some have a level indicator ... Don't use it and throw some nuts in the indicator holes as the hose that comes with the kits are of a very poor quality and will dry out and crack quite fast
I've had my catch can for 3 years and have had minimal to no oil pass it yet.

shan-747
25th January 2014, 11:32 PM
ok sweet thanks for the info what size catch can did you get

megatexture
26th January 2014, 09:03 AM
I think it was 700ml

shan-747
26th January 2014, 01:19 PM
Ok sweet have you got a picture of the mod you did? Be good to get an idea of how it's done

megatexture
26th January 2014, 02:35 PM
Sorry its all in the can mate and I didn't think to get any.

make sure you use sensor safe silicone when glueing the divider in.

The catch can will more then likely have a threaded bung at the bottom for draining just remove this and clamp on a hose with a tap on it

shan-747
26th January 2014, 03:43 PM
thanks megatexture. one more what did you use for the divider, how far down did you make it go and did you put steel wool in it as well?

kevin07
26th January 2014, 04:24 PM
X2. Would love to mod the crank vent, and then drain can to sump..
But the provent is very expensive..

hey westy why would you to drain that filth back into your motor and you get what you pay for. just for the record i put a drain hose on mine ran it under the car and put a tap on it drain it when i change oil

megatexture
26th January 2014, 06:10 PM
About 10 mm from the bottom and I didn't use steel wool as I had read about people having used it and having it degrade in some way.
I agree you usually get what you pay for but for a third of the price I'm getting the same job done.

P4trol
26th January 2014, 09:21 PM
Can you amplify about steel wool 'degrading' in an oil mist?

BigRAWesty
26th January 2014, 09:43 PM
hey westy why would you to drain that filth back into your motor and you get what you pay for. just for the record i put a drain hose on mine ran it under the car and put a tap on it drain it when i change oil

It's just atomized sump oil.. Can't see it being any "dirtier" than what's in your sump already..

I'm guessing the old school steel wool being mild steel would not stand a chance, but grab some quality stainless wool and it should be fine.. What I'm doing anyway..

kevin07
26th January 2014, 09:51 PM
It's just atomized sump oil.. Can't see it being any "dirtier" than what's in your sump already..

no I would have to disagree I believe its burnt oil, and by removing it keeps your sump cleaner

I'm guessing the old school steel wool being mild steel would not stand a chance, but grab some quality stainless wool and it should be fine.. What I'm doing anyway..
I believe they are using the stainless scourers

P4trol
26th January 2014, 10:10 PM
Still confused. I would feel confident about any steel - even the stuff that rusts quickly - being Preserved in the catch can with all that oily mist.

megatexture
26th January 2014, 11:44 PM

I can't remember how the steel wool was reacting or doing but I spent a good while looking into it and decided not to risk it and there was no way I was paying for a Provent but didn't want to make a PVC one like in the "Nissan patrol reference document" as I wasn't sure how the PVC would last in the temps it will Be exposed to.

megatexture
26th January 2014, 11:48 PM

The stuff I drain out is thicker then what comes out during an oil change, I wouldn't want it draining back in.

shan-747
27th January 2014, 02:06 AM
i found this on ebay have a look guys and tell me what yous think
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ADD-W1-Blue-Baffled-Universal-Aluminum-Oil-Catch-Tank-Can-Reservoir-Tank-Ver-1-/200958201807?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ANissan&hash=item2eca0acfcf&_uhb=1

my third 256
27th January 2014, 08:23 AM
for 170.00 its well worth it to protect the motor and its australian
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PRO-VENT-200-CRANKCASE-BREATHER-PROVENT-4WD-/261014128326?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc5a786c6

megatexture
27th January 2014, 08:43 AM
i found this on ebay have a look guys and tell me what yous think
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ADD-W1-Blue-Baffled-Universal-Aluminum-Oil-Catch-Tank-Can-Reservoir-Tank-Ver-1-/200958201807?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ANissan&hash=item2eca0acfcf&_uhb=1

Unless you can get one dirt cheep and modify it, looks hard to modify with that screw in filter bit and for 123$ deliverd I'd be going the Provent or keep looking.

Parksy
27th January 2014, 11:46 AM
The stuff caught in the catch can is not only oil mist but also blow by from combustion. Not something you would want to add to your oil.

Here's a pic of mine
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Pakas/CF50F78D-2F06-4C2B-BD44-963946EEAD3C-9891-00000757EB1AFF40.jpg (http://s.photobucket.com/user/Pakas/media/CF50F78D-2F06-4C2B-BD44-963946EEAD3C-9891-00000757EB1AFF40.jpg.html)

Didn't come with the divider, so I made one and used green scouring pad material as the filter element. Works a treat. The input hose is a lot dirtier than the exhaust hose.

megatexture
27th January 2014, 02:18 PM
The stuff caught in the catch can is not only oil mist but also blow by from combustion. Not something you would want to add to your oil.

Here's a pic of mine
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Pakas/CF50F78D-2F06-4C2B-BD44-963946EEAD3C-9891-00000757EB1AFF40.jpg (http://s.photobucket.com/user/Pakas/media/CF50F78D-2F06-4C2B-BD44-963946EEAD3C-9891-00000757EB1AFF40.jpg.html)

Didn't come with the divider, so I made one and used green scouring pad material as the filter element. Works a treat. The input hose is a lot dirtier than the exhaust hose.
Yep that like my can only mines round and I took the divider to 10mm off the bottom,

Have you opened it up to check the condition of the scourer since fitting? I'd be concerned about using that stuff more so then the steel wool

Parksy
27th January 2014, 02:44 PM
The scouring stuff works a treat! No problems with it what so ever. I fitted some fancy looking catch cans to my xr8 which had the green stuff as filter media and I was able to easily remove it and soak it in petrol and reuse it. Used it for years with no dramas.

SKID
3rd October 2015, 06:45 AM
What about a calbir one from supercheap?

megatexture
3rd October 2015, 01:04 PM
A mate had a sca can and it has a little hose on the side of it as a level indicator and the hose went hard and split but other than the hoses it was a cheap buy

Rumcajs
3rd October 2015, 01:35 PM

Don't want to be nitpicking your statement right there but how do you keep the "blow-by" gases out of the engine oil exactly mate?

The fact is you can't as it gets in the oil before any "catch can" can do anything about it. The emission part of the crank case ventilation is also called "closed"(recirculated back in to intake manifold) for a reason and not "open" (vented in to atmosphere).

That is also one of the reasons for the engine oil contamination as well, the blow-by gases you can't keep out in the catch can to paraphrase your statement.

The other part of the CCV (closed crankcase ventilation) is the cheap and inefective oil trap used by car engines manufacturers at the hose outlet in the rocker cover which are suppose to keep the oil out of the blow by gases mix as we all know burning oil affects/contributes the exhaust emissions.

Hopefully WV diesel gate will force the car/engine makers to introduce more effective oil separators (catch cans) like the truck engines makers have to do now!

Why car makers are so hell bent at avoiding this issue is beyond me perhaps the ever shrinking margins are responsible.

Every car on the planet with petrol or diesel be atmo or charged induction variety has this problem and car makers are ignoring it cheerfully and wilfully. It affects engine performance, emissions, maintenance etc.

This just shows that industry can't be trusted to be selfregulating itself or allowed to flaunt/cheat the government tests.

Cheers

Heinzy
23rd October 2015, 05:01 PM
Use stainless steel wool