PDA

View Full Version : Battery Question

dom14
22nd January 2014, 01:42 PM
Hi guys,
I have a GQ Patrol with an RB30.
The battery show signs of trouble.
The battery in it is a 670cca racv one.
The "glass eye indicator" shows green and which means the battery is good.
It also shows good voltage 12.6 V, and under load(55W / 12V globe) shows 10.7V.
Yet, even after charging it properly with a smart charger as well, the battery can't hold
the charge much. By that I meant, it can't crank the motor or it looses the cranking power pretty quickly. It's not the alternator. Alternator shows good voltage.
So, is the battery is bad, regardless of indicator showing it's good?!
I can't do a hydrometer test, because it is a sealed non-maintenance type battery.

According the signs on the battery, if the battery has gone bad, the indicator should show white, instead of green, but it doesn't. it shows green.

I may be able get a battery either 790cca or 990cca for a very good price.
I'm just wondering whether it's way too much for the alternator, wiring and other electrics.
Do I have to get a battery 670cca? I know, lesser cca is not enough.
But, will it hurt the electrics if I get a one with bit more cca's??
Thanks for any help.

megatexture
22nd January 2014, 01:46 PM
Get the best you can, the accessories are only going to take what they require to run and at the end of the day it's all going to be 12 volts.

BigRAWesty
22nd January 2014, 02:04 PM
X2.. If you want extra power get as big as you can fit under the hood.
You won't change your output nor hurt anything.

BillsGU
22nd January 2014, 02:45 PM
10.7 Volts with a 55 W load is way too low for a fully charged battery. It's stuffed. Lots of threads on here regarding batteries you can read - but in a nutshell - get the biggest and cheapest you can find. It will last you at least two years - which is good value.

megatexture
22nd January 2014, 02:57 PM
If in doubt chuck it out.. Or take it to battery world and they can load test it for you, its not free but I think if its farked they take the cost of the testing off the new battery if you purchase it from them . But don't quote me on that as I don't know if they still do that

I've bought a few batteries from this mob and they have been good (cost $50 to deliver a batt to brisbane) http://www.allpurposebatteries.com.au

dom14
22nd January 2014, 03:19 PM
10.7 Volts with a 55 W load is way too low for a fully charged battery. It's stuffed. Lots of threads on here regarding batteries you can read - but in a nutshell - get the biggest and cheapest you can find. It will last you at least two years - which is good value.

This battery lasted nearly five years. So, it's not bad then?!

threedogs
22nd January 2014, 03:19 PM
990 CCA will come in handy if you have a winch as they love CCA.
Make sure you clean all terminals properly when installing it,

If the battery is over 3 years old chances are its on the way out, some here get a good run out of batteries but if your into touring I would change them every 2 years regardless, the last thing you want is a battery to fail as soon as your trip starts or worse half way across the Simpson, You can sell the old batteries to others to recoup a little $$$$

the evil twin
22nd January 2014, 04:56 PM
The "indicators" on batteries aren't worth 1/2 a cup of goat shit. They are pretty much a gimmick and do not show the state of the battery as a whole unit.

They can be white and the battery can still be useful (but not perfect) or green and the battery can be a POS.

If you do not have a multi-meter call past an auto eleccy jopint, most will do a battery check free of charge.

If you have a multi-meter then you can check it yourself.
With the engine off turn your lights on high beam.
Monitor the battery voltage over a minute or two.
The voltage should only drop about .1 of a volt or so at the most.
If tha battery is toast then the voltage will drop much more rapidly

dom14
22nd January 2014, 07:39 PM
Yeah mate. The battery is obviously shaggggged.
It lasted some five years though. So, I reckon it's done it's job pretty well for me.

The "indicators" on batteries aren't worth 1/2 a cup of goat shit. They are pretty much a gimmick and do not show the state of the battery as a whole unit.

They can be white and the battery can still be useful (but not perfect) or green and the battery can be a POS.

If you do not have a multi-meter call past an auto eleccy jopint, most will do a battery check free of charge.

If you have a multi-meter then you can check it yourself.
With the engine off turn your lights on high beam.
Monitor the battery voltage over a minute or two.
The voltage should only drop about .1 of a volt or so at the most.
If tha battery is toast then the voltage will drop much more rapidly

BillsGU
22nd January 2014, 10:19 PM
Yeah mate. The battery is obviously shaggggged.
It lasted some five years though. So, I reckon it's done it's job pretty well for me.

You have done well. I have bought all sorts of batteries over the years (from very cheap to very expensive) and I have never had one last for 5 years. Thats why my policy now is buy cheap and replace regularly. Some battery smart testers can even predict if a battery is going to fail. It gives the battery a "health" rating in %. Unless mine are 100% I get rid of them. Its not worth being in the middle of nowhere with warm beer, and its bloody difficult to push start an automatic!

the evil twin
24th January 2014, 10:45 PM
The first and foremost rule for increasing vehicle output is that you won't change anything in respect of capacity or output. It'll definitely work out effectively for your vehicle.:)

... I've read that three times and all it did is make my head hurt :confused::confused::confused:

megatexture
24th January 2014, 10:55 PM
Three dogs must be sharing his meds lol

dom14
27th January 2014, 01:45 AM
I have to say the same thing about the manual Patrol mate. Not that easy to push start. I've been trying since I was fifteen. :wink:

You have done well. I have bought all sorts of batteries over the years (from very cheap to very expensive) and I have never had one last for 5 years. Thats why my policy now is buy cheap and replace regularly. Some battery smart testers can even predict if a battery is going to fail. It gives the battery a "health" rating in %. Unless mine are 100% I get rid of them. Its not worth being in the middle of nowhere with warm beer, and its bloody difficult to push start an automatic!