PDA

View Full Version : New Patrol owner

dusty_nz
22nd January 2014, 11:01 AM
I have just brought a 2003 GU ST Patrol with the 3.0tdi engine. It has 200k on the click and seems very clean. Also has all accessories.
ARB lockers front and rear. Safari chip. 33 Tyre's. Snorkel, ARB roof rack, dual battery, tough dog suspension etc

What are the things to look out for. Is this one of the good engines. How safe /good is the chip?

Maintain? Easy improvements?

threedogs
22nd January 2014, 11:41 AM
I would be fitting a NADS set up. to start a provent catch can, then a EFT and boost gauge in a pillar pod.
you need to keep your boost under control and the way to do that is fit a manual boost controller,
Fitting larger exhaust sometimes brings on LIMP mode where you have no power until you re press the loud pedal'
Last but not least fit an EGR blocking plate
Catch can
boost gauge
EGT gauge
EGR blocking plate
Out of interest what is your chip set on

dusty_nz
22nd January 2014, 12:44 PM
No idea on what the chip is set on, is there a recommendation? Will have a look when I get some time. I am assumming the direct injection engines are pretty good compared to the early common rail?

Will fit and exhaust temp and do the egr think. Is it because the egr results in the turbo dump choking up?

threedogs
22nd January 2014, 12:52 PM
Other way around direct injection to about 06/07 then they had the Common rail diesel
If you put your foot into it and it blows heaps of black smoke your chip is probably on max .
Turn it back to 7-8 for towing and 5 for GP driving
Things to look out for are an oily intercooler, a sure sign its leaking.

Stropp
22nd January 2014, 12:56 PM
welcome along to the forum mate can you shoot over to the intros and tell us a bit about yourself cheers

dusty_nz
24th January 2014, 12:22 PM
Other way around direct injection to about 06/07 then they had the Common rail diesel
If you put your foot into it and it blows heaps of black smoke your chip is probably on max .
Turn it back to 7-8 for towing and 5 for GP driving
Things to look out for are an oily intercooler, a sure sign its leaking.

So my engine would be one of the suspect ones? Will go ahead with during an ndr kit. Seems simple enough apart from the exhaust temp sensor.

Would the chip be a box plugged into the loom under the dash or just a chip in the normal ecu box. Drivers foot well?