PDA

View Full Version : New mobile version - Test it out

AB
20th January 2014, 10:35 AM
Hi Folks,

I just activated the mobile version of the site and will play around with it this week.

Have a crack and it and let us know your thoughts?

If you do not want to use this feature you can simply scroll to the bottom and press "FULL SITE" and this will take you back to the original website viewing on a mobile device.

For forum sponsors, I will be removing the adds of course.

AB
20th January 2014, 10:41 AM
Once you have logged in, Click this http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/mobile/gridmenu.png to see the menu (Whats New, Messages, etc)

lhurley
20th January 2014, 10:41 AM
It's very cluttered. Something more simple for the main page perhaps??

Eg, forum, what's new, then 1 tab for each subcategory.

Just a suggestion.

Edit; posted this and edited it via iOS

growler2058
20th January 2014, 10:48 AM
I think it's good so far. Only just having a little play with it now

growler2058
20th January 2014, 10:50 AM
Not sure how to add a photo to a post though

MudRunnerTD
20th January 2014, 10:52 AM
Hmmmmm, not sure a for me mate, I don't use Tapa or MC as I prefer using safari as I can zoom in and stuff.

I will perservere for a few days for you but is a bit big at the moment and no adjustment to size etc. zoom in zoom out. So not much on the page

AB
20th January 2014, 11:00 AM
At the very bottom left you can switch it back to standard style or mobile style at any time if you don't like it.

Hey mate, that's the idea, It's designed so you can see everything at the same level without needing to zoom in and out which does frustrate people.

It's also designed to be a simple format to get information, post information, scour the forum without added buttons and adverts for non sponsors.

Hang 5 Growler with the attachments....

oncedisturbed
20th January 2014, 11:16 AM
Looks good on mobile but using it on Android is a bit of a pain as each time you select a thread to view it asks which action you wish to use. That will be more an android thing but going to try ipad now to see the difference.

Cuppa
20th January 2014, 11:22 AM
Not too bad appearance wise. Will need to try for a while to see if I like it or not though. Going to advanced reply doesn't give much over the quick reply. No bold, italics, underline, add pic , urls etc etc which I would find frustrating as I use them quite a lot. So ok for reading, but would still want to use full version for replying. Result is that I think I'd be more likely just to stick to the full version, rather than switching between the two.

Sent on the mobile version.

Cuppa

TPC
20th January 2014, 11:30 AM
Hmmmmm, not sure a for me mate, I don't use Tapa or MC as I prefer using safari as I can zoom in and stuff.

I will perservere for a few days for you but is a bit big at the moment and no adjustment to size etc. zoom in zoom out. So not much on the page

I am the same, don't use MC because I cant zoom and I am too blind to read anything.

Is there a "what's new" button? I cant find one.

AB
20th January 2014, 11:31 AM
There's a load of issues that need resolving...

Cant upload images....No thanks button (This might be hard implement)......Leave it with me gents.

BigRAWesty
20th January 2014, 11:42 AM
I am the same, don't use MC because I cant zoom and I am too blind to read anything.

Is there a "what's new" button? I cant find one.

When you switch to grid view (grid looking button top right) it's the last icon On the grid.
What's New button that is.

Looks nice so far.
Is there an option to personally change text size?

BigRAWesty
20th January 2014, 11:45 AM
And only a few sigs are appearing.
I know mine isn't.

Winnie
20th January 2014, 11:52 AM
It doesn't look too bad to me so far. Can't add photos

BigRAWesty
20th January 2014, 11:56 AM
Doesn't seem to want to jump to last unread post either.

BigRAWesty
20th January 2014, 12:01 PM
Fark I chews the data..

Alitis007
20th January 2014, 01:09 PM
Looks good so far. Is this mobile vertion a test for an indipendant app for the forum ?

BigRAWesty
20th January 2014, 01:41 PM
Looks good so far. Is this mobile vertion a test for an indipendant app for the forum ?

No this is a mobile version of the main forum. All changes are made within VB. There is no need for an app if everyone is happy.
Unless AB pushes ahead with one.

AB
20th January 2014, 01:55 PM
I'm not sure if this is going to work for us gents....:blowup:

Alitis007
20th January 2014, 02:02 PM
No this is a mobile version of the main forum. All changes are made within VB. There is no need for an app if everyone is happy.
Unless AB pushes ahead with one.

Fair enough, apps are good coz you get notifications so you can keep track of who's quoting you and threads you a following have been updated and stuff like that

AB
20th January 2014, 02:16 PM
I'm removing this for now gents before I hurt someone....lol

BigRAWesty
20th January 2014, 04:00 PM
A bit shoit how it all works..
Scrap that idea and get onto the np.com app..

And roof top bags.. :p

NissanGQ4.2
20th January 2014, 05:13 PM
No pleasing some of you guys! *L*

AB
20th January 2014, 07:04 PM
No pleasing some of you guys! *L*

I agree Toddy...lol

Yeah I dunno blokes, I'm flipping out to be honest...lol

We 100% cannot have the thanks button on the mobile version and I am after support from the software manufactures as I cannot see how you can upload attachments and from what I have read off the net, they have not yet developed a way on the mobile version to be able to have the user upload images.

Which astounded me you would even bother to release this program if you cannot even upload images....Amazed!!!

Give me a few days...

Now that we have the new software though we have a few more options so let me suss out some things.

Todd, got your email mate, might not get time tonight but I'll suss it out tomorrow and let you know.

BigRAWesty
20th January 2014, 07:24 PM
I agree Toddy...lol

We 100% cannot have the thanks button on the mobile version and I am after support from the software manufactures as I cannot see how you can upload attachments and from what I have read off the net, they have not yet developed a way on the mobile version to be able to have the user upload images.

Which astounded me you would even bother to release this program if you cannot even upload images....Amazed!!!

Give me a few days...

Now that we have the new software though we have a few more options so let me suss out some things.

Todd, got your email mate, might not get time tonight but I'll suss it out tomorrow and let you know.

Wow. Crazy. I'm with you, seems a wee bit pointless.

Don't stress to much mate. We've endured mc thus far, a little longer ain't gunna hurt..

AB
20th January 2014, 07:40 PM
Two options I am now looking at are

Forum Runner = http://www.forumrunner.net/

And the proper Vbulletin app = http://www.vbulletin.com/mobile/

As George mentioned the other day these will both have the function of push notifications (which is a handy feature for some of us I agree), user friendly and also enable the ability to customize and enable me to throw adds on there to support the forum.

Waiting to hear back from some gurus with the original Vbulletin mobile version but these two other options are starting to look better for us at this point.

NissanGQ4.2
20th January 2014, 08:07 PM
I agree Toddy...lol

Don't flip out mate, its a mobile version from a software company designing software for forums using browsers, it will never be how everyone wants it. Maybe a dedicated NP app designed for the forum by its users we might have the right 2 whinge and complain that something doesn't work . But until then we should just live with it, Offer suggestions but never complain.

Sorry I have nothing good 2 say............. it may sound like I whinge when I post some things up or send you a PM..............but I'm not, u know me I tell you how I think it should work *LMAO*

AB
21st January 2014, 07:50 PM
Crappy update trendsetters...

The mobile version sucks

Vbulletin app is purely an app designed to look at the Vbulletin forum and a lot of people have been sucked in and bought it to only find out later.

Apparently ForumRunner is a bollocks app that is very limited.

That leaves us with a custom app designed ourselves or another provider.

I only want to go through this one time so I'm going to keep researching until we find a suitable and reliable app for us so give us time.

At this point we are exactly where we were originally but with a much more stable and up to date forum with a lot more benefits in security and any add ons we want to do in the future so happy days at this point.

NissanGQ4.2
21st January 2014, 08:19 PM
Bummer

Why not go back to tappa talk in the meantime??? I'm sure tappa talk is less buggy then MC

Isn't ForumRunner tied in with VBulletin somehow anyway?

I wouldn't waste your time looking for a suitable app, from what I have seen they all work the same as tappa crappa anyway

AB
21st January 2014, 08:25 PM
Bummer

Why not go back to tappa talk in the meantime??? I'm sure tappa talk is less buggy then MC

Isn't ForumRunner tied in with VBulletin somehow anyway?

I wouldn't waste your time looking for a suitable app, from what I have seen they all work the same as tappa crappa anyway

Hey mate, nah Tapatalk are about to release their own advertisements on their apps which is out of my control. Sounds to me like a well thought out plan to conquer the online world with their application and then hit the users worldwide with advertising.

It's very well orchestrated plan actually and they will make bucket loads but I am not going to be a part of it.

Yep, forumrunner is in sync with VB too. The big boys are always linked up and a lot of underhanded crap is going on within major online businesses these days.

Let me do some more research before I decide on a solution but we'll do it once and do it right.

Clunk
21st January 2014, 08:32 PM
So does that mean you're in control of all these dating ads on MC then? :D

NissanGQ4.2
21st January 2014, 08:32 PM
Hey mate, nah Tapatalk are about to release their own advertisements on their apps which is out of my control. Sounds to me like a well thought out plan to conquer the online world with their application and then hit the users worldwide with advertising.

It's very well orchestrated plan actually and they will make bucket loads but I am not going to be a part of it.

Yep, forumrunner is in sync with VB too. The big boys are always linked up and a lot of underhanded crap is going on within major online businesses these days.

Let me do some more research before I decide on a solution but we'll do it once and do it right.

So what you need 2 do is build a custom app for us....................then a few months after release start spamming us with Redback 4x4 and You4wd.com ads *LMAO*

AB
21st January 2014, 08:52 PM
So does that mean you're in control of all these dating ads on MC then? :D

I thought you liked the zoosk...lol

At least some of the revenue came my way though. I always thought tappa were happy with their millions of app buyers paying $3 for each app but alas greed as taken over.

MC were working on bringing in auto adds but they too are governed by tt unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

BigRAWesty
21st January 2014, 08:56 PM
I thought you liked the zoosk...lol

At least some of the revenue came my way though. I always thought tappa were happy with their millions of app buyers paying $3 for each app but alas greed as taken over.

MC were working on bringing in auto adds but they too are governed by tt unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

And now MC are gunna take a fat one.
Wow, I'm with you what a plan if true.
I can see the millions switching Off tappa..

I also think a dedicated app is the way. Market it hand in hand with your4wd.
Push for a few more vendors if needed..

Clunk
21st January 2014, 09:23 PM
This is one of my favourite ads