View Full Version : Bushranger Exhaust Jack - Failure!

FNQGU
20th January 2014, 09:43 AM
Well, I have had one of these for about 5 years and have so far never used it. I've previously been on trips where others have used them, and they have worked quite well. Mine has sat in the bag apart from one occasion when I first got it where I inspected its contents.

This morning I thought I'd use it to make sure it all functioned properly. My boat trailer had a flat tyre, so I positioned it up under the axle and some of the frame and then connected it up to my exhaust.

Well, it inflated until it was just lifting the trailer and then a seam failed and the whole thing burst open down one side!

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad197/BenKDJ/IMG_20140120_085946_098_zps8d90058b.jpg (http://s935.photobucket.com/user/BenKDJ/media/IMG_20140120_085946_098_zps8d90058b.jpg.html)
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad197/BenKDJ/IMG_20140120_085916_116_zpsljouxljz.jpg (http://s935.photobucket.com/user/BenKDJ/media/IMG_20140120_085916_116_zpsljouxljz.jpg.html)

Not bloody happy! These things aren't cheap and Warranty is only for one year. Now I am not sure what the failure reason was, but the bag was only just starting to take let pressure when the seam let go. There were no sharp objects or anything like that.

NP99
20th January 2014, 09:49 AM
What brand mate?

Cuppa
20th January 2014, 09:57 AM
Hmmm, not good. my one isn’t a Bushranger, but like you I inspected it when I bought it & then stowed it in the vehicle. Perhaps I should test it out before going anywhere I might need to use it!

If it were me I’d still try getting Bushranger to replace it seeings it’s never been used.

FNQGU
20th January 2014, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I am waiting for a response from Bushranger now.

It appears that the plastic welding from nearly top to bottom has failed. I've taken this thing on numerous trips too, so i am glad I decided to test it at home rather than having to rely on it in a messy situation.

mudski
20th January 2014, 10:11 AM
Although my exhaust jack works it makes me think I need to get a hi lift to use as a backup.

lhurley
20th January 2014, 10:28 AM
I have a feeling they react the same as an air bed, they work great for a long time when using it correctly often, but if you leave it sit for a while they start to break down.

The way it was folded in the bag might of been so that the seam was damaged, not an issue if not sitting long but due to it not being used for a number of years its had time to break down. Things dont like sitting around not being used is what im trying to say.

threedogs
20th January 2014, 10:33 AM
I think Craig Rutting is the head man at Bushranger now.
Just for good will you would hope they come to the party,
its clear to see it wasn't abused. Ring head office mention lots
of ppl are reading this thread, and good luck.

FNQGU
20th January 2014, 10:33 AM
I suspect you are right…but I bet there are lots of these sitting around in bags too.

threedogs
20th January 2014, 10:41 AM
do you pack these with baby powder or anything per instructions etc

TimE
20th January 2014, 10:45 AM
In the "good old days" our Club Trainer managed to do the exact same thing with brand new product, can't remember the brand name, on two separate occasions, the end result was modifying the training to avoid using exhaust jacks !

The funniest demonstration was when he pulled the end off the exhaust pipe while the bag was full and under pressure, the end result was a face full of black exhaust fumes, ...... come to think of it maybe this also had something to do with not wanting to use these jacks in future :)

MudRunnerTD
20th January 2014, 10:45 AM
Wow! Thats brand new mate! send them those pics via email and a link to this thread.

I am a big advocate for using the exhaust bag and would hate to see guys steering away from them as a result of this thread.

Always place your spare tyre or the wheel you remove under the vehicle when using an Exhaust Jack. Well for that matter when using ANY JACK.

Cuppa
20th January 2014, 11:06 AM
I suspect you are right…but I bet there are lots of these sitting around in bags too.

Precisely. They are an item that most people would expect to sit unused for long periods of time. They are purchased for use in emergency situations not day to day use. it is reasonable for them not to fail in such situations. If there is a risk of failure through not being used it is reasonable that purchasers are given warning of this ..... particularly as the result of failure is potentially catastrophic.

threedogs
20th January 2014, 11:29 AM
would only need some gravel on it when packed for it to rub through very quickly in transit
I would imagine.
what is the correct way to pack one up after a recovery say on the beach

FNQGU
20th January 2014, 11:54 AM
do you pack these with baby powder or anything per instructions etc

TD, I just went through the instruction sheet, which was still in the bag, and there is no mention of any particular way to pack it. It was still packed the way it came from the shop though. I had only checked the bag for contents and not even pulled the jack right out.

I will however make contact with Bushranger and see what they say. Have already emailed them a note with the pics in this thread and offered to send them anything else they need to assess it.

Bush Ranger
20th January 2014, 12:17 PM
I have a brother who bought an exhaust jack and saying it`s just the cats whiskers for the situation that my vehicle was in. At the time, the vehicle was bogged. Forgotten the brand name, but it did exactly what I said it was going to do and that was to pop. My brother had never used it before and I choked on the price he paid for it. An expensive outing and I remember telling him that a high lift jack would of been better with the money spent. He has never gotten another one after that.

jack
20th January 2014, 12:18 PM
First thing I did was pull it out of the bag and realised that I needed to modify the exhaust outlet from angled to straight, easy fix with a stainless steel extension. Pumped it up and packed it up again, a few weeks later lifted the daughters 4WD when showing them. All good BUT I'll be keeping an eye on it and testing it regularly.
Good luck with Bushranger.

the evil twin
20th January 2014, 12:42 PM
Bugger... mine is a chinee knock off and is about 5 years old now. I've used it maybe a dozen times on various vehicles, heaviest was a Tojo Troopie but it has lifted a Rodeo so both LHS side wheels were off the ground.

It has sat for maybe 24 months at the longest and all I do is squirt it with the hose after I get back in if I used it.

I'd be def pointing out to Bushranger that it had a manuf fault and that the fault is not obvious until failure

MudRunnerTD
20th January 2014, 01:13 PM
Bugger... mine is a chinee knock off and is about 5 years old now. I've used it maybe a dozen times on various vehicles, heaviest was a Tojo Troopie but it has lifted a Rodeo so both LHS side wheels were off the ground.

It has sat for maybe 24 months at the longest and all I do is squirt it with the hose after I get back in if I used it.

I'd be def pointing out to Bushranger that it had a manuf fault and that the fault is not obvious until failure

Im the same ET, i have used and abused mine for the last 7 years. lifted mine and a few friends cars a few times. I have changed a full Smashed CV using the Exhaust jack no less than 5 times in the bush and rate it highly. I accidentally punctured it while changing a tyre on Drewboys car in the high country on the bottom of teh rear shock mount damn it! I patched it with the patch repair kit that came with the thing in the bag.

In terms of cleaning and packing away? I brush it off after every use with my hand, fold it up what ever way works to get it in the bag and put it back in the car until next time. If it goes in really dirty then i will hose it at home obviously but in general no special treatment is required or given.

Mine is a Cheap Chinese one and is well used!

threedogs
20th January 2014, 02:18 PM
$64,000 question does it fit in the bag they give you
could be a faulty batch