PDA

View Full Version : Silver sun shade curtain thingos for the rear.

Patrol-Guy
19th January 2014, 09:20 AM
I've seen some Landcruisers (don't throw anything at me for saying that word here but I'm still new) with those silver sun shades up to the side and rear windows. Just wondering if you can buy them or are they just knocked up to fit the windows. They are pretty good for keeping prying eyes and of course the sun out.

Anyone else know what I'm talking about or seen them before?

threedogs
19th January 2014, 09:57 AM
Not cheap but you can buy them don't think he sells through any of the shops.
As an alternative just buy those cheap windscreen sun deflectors and cut to size .
They will perish and flake over time or use this stuff, I used it on my rear and cargo area
windows, awesome stuff, you can see out and no one can see in
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171218047883?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

rottodiver
19th January 2014, 11:16 AM
These are what I use... They are awesome..
http://www.solarscreen.com.au
Scotty

Cuppa
19th January 2014, 11:50 AM
Or cut to size from the foil lined insulation that gets used inside shed roofs.

threedogs
19th January 2014, 11:54 AM
@ Cuppa sisalation is the word you're after

Cuppa
19th January 2014, 02:23 PM
That's the stuff I reckon. Foil both sides & 'bubble wrap' in the middle. In the motorhome world some folk pay silly money for custom made screens, others use this stuff & find it just as good at a fraction of the price.

rottodiver
19th January 2014, 02:27 PM
That's the stuff I reckon. Foil both sides & 'bubble wrap' in the middle. In the motorhome world some folk pay silly money for custom made screens, others use this stuff & find it just as good at a fraction of the price.

I guess that would work... The one I use has suction caps so I remove or replace as needed.. They look quote good as well, I have quite a few comments and requests of where I got them over the years. Very reasonably priced as well ..
Scotty

Maxhead
19th January 2014, 02:32 PM
That is the go Cuppa! Thermofoil is the best stuff for the job at a fraction of the price of the custom stuff!

BigRAWesty
19th January 2014, 03:28 PM
Yea thermofoil is good. If your after a professional look have the missus sew on a boarder, and then thread on the suction cups. Available on eBay..

mudski
19th January 2014, 09:28 PM
I just did my two rear side windows last week. I went to officeworks and got two sheets of black foam board. I spent ages making up a template for the stupid shape the windows are and then realized I could have just removed the plastic trim and fit the entire sheet behind the trim. :o
As the sheets are thick around 7mm and black against 10% tint it really helped in our 40plus weather we had last week.

threedogs
20th January 2014, 02:43 PM
You could of course use some thin polystyrene, my cargo area has a limo tint atm an love it
and I'll apply some perforated film to the inside cargo and rear windows and maybe
window behind driver as my Engel sits on a platform there, cant see out of that window anyway

Malgreen
20th January 2014, 08:21 PM
i agree, i love my solar shades,, just wish mine would stick up better..

sooty_10
21st January 2014, 08:21 AM
I was in at bunnings and ended up buying a roll of single garage door insulation. It is a foil product like bubble wrap. Enough for a whole garage door.... rrp $125. Paid.... $20 couldn't not get it. Now just to cut to size and see how it goes.3947439475

Winnie
21st January 2014, 08:22 AM
I just did my two rear side windows last week. I went to officeworks and got two sheets of black foam board. I spent ages making up a template for the stupid shape the windows are and then realized I could have just removed the plastic trim and fit the entire sheet behind the trim. :o
As the sheets are thick around 7mm and black against 10% tint it really helped in our 40plus weather we had last week.

You know the rules, photos!

threedogs
21st January 2014, 08:30 AM
only down side is they trap a lot of dust

mudski
21st January 2014, 09:44 AM
You know the rules, photos!

Bloody MC is not letting me add a photo.

MEGOMONSTER
21st January 2014, 10:03 AM
Bloody MC is not letting me add a photo.

I'm having the same problem, all photos are invalid files.