PDA

View Full Version : Donalsdson cobra head intake bens

patrol2.8
18th January 2014, 08:23 PM
Got the young bloke to come around today and give us a hand with a new project modified the air box to take a 3in cobra head didn't realise that the 2.8s intake was so restricted on the bend will let it dry over night give it a final tidy up and should be good to go

nissannewby
18th January 2014, 08:25 PM
Yep. All the Nissan air boxes/ intake paths are rubbish for flow. You could benefit even more by using a good flowing airbox with 4" piping all the way to the turbo inc the snorkel.

patrol2.8
18th January 2014, 08:35 PM
forgot these lol

MudRunnerTD
18th January 2014, 08:40 PM
How much was the cobra and where did you buy it? I need to do this to the GUIV.

nissannewby
18th January 2014, 08:44 PM

I would highly recommend getting rid of that airbox altogether mate.

patrol2.8
18th January 2014, 08:53 PM
Bought it from truckbits in Dandenong cost was 48.50 posted out will put up the part number so makes it easier when ordering

patrol2.8
18th January 2014, 08:54 PM
I would highly recommend getting rid of that airbox altogether mate.

Ive thought about that but no idea what other air box fits

nissannewby
18th January 2014, 09:00 PM
Ive thought about that but no idea what other air box fits

You have to go custom mate and they aren't cheap but are worth the gain. 4Bfab in Vic do a nice one and so does fatz fabrication in qld.

AB
18th January 2014, 09:08 PM
Don't quote me but I think patroldocta may not do the 4" either only 3".

I haven't seen a 4" on the shelves at various shops for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

patrol2.8
18th January 2014, 09:22 PM
Will wait n see if there's any benefit from this mod first figure opening it up from around a 2in hole to a 3in has to be better than what it was

nissannewby
18th January 2014, 09:29 PM
Will wait n see if there's any benefit from this mod first figure opening it up from around a 2in hole to a 3in has to be better than what it was

There will be mate. It might not be hugely noticeable but any improvement on the factory setup is a positive.

patrol2.8
18th January 2014, 09:43 PM
There will be mate. It might not be hugely noticeable but any improvement on the factory setup is a positive.
Yeah was a bit disappointed with the hole size in the lid also the original hole is off centre to the filter new hole is now in the middle of the filter don't know if it makes any difference just didn't seem right to me

nissannewby
18th January 2014, 09:47 PM
Yeah was a bit disappointed with the hole size in the lid also the original hole is off centre to the filter new hole is now in the middle of the filter don't know if it makes any difference just didn't seem right to me

Yeah mate. Believe it it not the 4.2 boxes are basically the same for engine with much more capacity. So you can imagine how restricted they are.

patrol2.8
18th January 2014, 10:03 PM
oh well gives us something else to modify I guess

patrol2.8
18th January 2014, 10:10 PM
MudrunnerTD the part number for the 3 inch rubber bend is P547694 and you should be able to get it through any company that sells Donaldson products if you like I can give you the number where I purchased it from

mudski
25th January 2014, 10:22 PM
Got my cobra on on fleabay for $38 from memory delivered...

patrol2.8
25th January 2014, 10:37 PM
Got my cobra on on fleabay for $38 from memory delivered...

Mine was 38 but i had to add 10 bucks for postage did you notice much difference in the car once installed havnt been able to test mine yet

mudski
25th January 2014, 10:41 PM
I have the 3ltr motor. So I did this mod with the hi flow maf housing. I noticed no improvement but now I can raise my boost levels far beyond before without getting limp mode.