PDA

View Full Version : Solar or generators???

thatswhyy
18th January 2014, 06:31 PM
hey guys just looking into both of these options both look to be about the same price

not going to be running a lot

Arb fridge some led lights for setting up camp and a camping trailer with maybe a hot water service and a fan maybe a second fridge.

thanks sam.
:shivering:

threedogs
18th January 2014, 06:51 PM
Solar all the way after initial purchase its free with no working parts.
I take an 8o watt panel and have plenty of led camp lighting and never ran out of battery ever.
solar all the way

100ah aux battery in the patrol and another in the trailer heaps

megatexture
18th January 2014, 07:17 PM
Solar 100%, if its really cloudy for a few days you can run your car with idle up switched on to charge the batteries.
I have 2 x 10 m extension cords with Anderson plugs on them in 10 mm twin-core if I need extra distance for charging via the car or solar, they come in handy.

thatswhyy
18th January 2014, 07:22 PM
any type (brands) I should lean towards or stay away from? whats a rough price on a 100ah battery

Cuppa
18th January 2014, 07:35 PM
Definitely solar - but it does have limitations. Forget electrically heating water (or anything else) with solar, it just isn’t practical. For hot water consider the camp fire, gas or calorifier. I have the latter ( basically a heat exchanger in an insulated storage tank) in two vehicles & love it. No ongoing cost - just drive & have hot water when you arrive. Ours stays hot for 3 days.

TD & I always get into disagreements about solar, he is a minimalist, a valid way to go....... BUT if you are talking about running two fridges (as I do) you will need rather more than TD has suggested. In most people’s set ups, the fridge will be the biggest consumer of power by a long way.

In order to have a solar set up that achieves what you want you need to have an understanding of not just what you want to run, but also your pattern of usage. Eg the requirements for getting you through a weekend will be very different to the requirements for going weeks at a time. If you get it right a solar set up is a real joy, but if you don’t get it right you will find yourself constantly chasing your tail & worrying about wrecking your batteries.

The addition of an in car smart charger (dc to dc) can work very well, & for some , provide an alternative or adjunct to solar.

Before making any decision I thoroughly recommend spending $40 on one of Collyn Rivers’ easy to read & understand books on solar. You won’t regret it. ’Solar that really works’ is a good one. http://www.caravanandmotorhomebooks.com/books/campervan_motorhome.htm

Putting together a solar set up is not difficult but there are a number of traps, perpetuated by common myths, to be avoided.

Some folk decide it’s simply easier to buy a gennie, & I guess it’s a horses for courses thing. I go bush to enjoy the bush & that includes it’s sounds & smells. I find even the quietest Honda Gennies intrusive, so leave ours at home.

pearcey
18th January 2014, 08:31 PM
I`ve just completed 3 months traveling Tas (Sept Oct Nov ) free camping as much as possible
My vehicle is equipped with a fixed 120 watt panel which charges the 75 A/H aux battery, off this battery I ran all my accessories which included a 40lt Waeco fridge an 18lt Waeco fridge which we run as a freezer. While we don`t always stay put for long periods of time which means the vehicle charges the aux while traveling I did not have to get out the gennie once. We did camp up for a 5 day period and while the weather was mostly sunny we did have a couple of cloudy days but we still did not experience any problems and the battery never got below 12.3 volts
I have been remote camping fo over 20 years and have learn`t through experience how to manage my power usage
One thing, I always try to use the best quality products I can afford
But as Cuppa says do the research and you may find solar is your best option, plus it`s cheap to run and maintain.

thatswhyy
18th January 2014, 09:14 PM
thanks guys fpr your input solar it is but now to see what setup I want so many option

FNQGU
18th January 2014, 09:28 PM
x2 for the books by Collyn Rivers. Do your research before you make decisions. For what you are thinking about, I would particularly recommend his book on camper trailers, as he covers off on solar in the tow vehicle, as well as in a camper, and everything else relating to camper trailers. He also extensively covers wiring, voltage drop, types of panels, types of batteries, types of chargers, and has quite a few basic rules for typical scenarios. You need to count up what your appliances will use each day, and that will help you work out how much solar capacity you need to replace that usage.

After reading this book, and one of his other books, I am convinced that more is better, and you should try to have more energy coming in, than you are using, but keep it close or you are wasting money.

As a guide - Collyn recommends that for every 100Ahr battery, you should have about 120-150W of solar panels.

FNQGU
18th January 2014, 09:29 PM
ps. you will also need to think about whether you want portable panels, or whether you want to fix them to the roof rack or camper.

megatexture
18th January 2014, 09:42 PM
I'll be happy with my set up once I get another 120w panel, ATM we have 1 panel and 2x 110ah deep cycles and only have to run the car if its cloudy for 2.5 days straight but I prefer to maintain a high charge in my batteries and a 2nd panel will certainly do this I like the enerdrive solar kits for folding panels

GQ TANK
18th January 2014, 09:59 PM
im running a hybrid system for my work coms trailers

Battery's, with solar panels and a diesel generator that auto starts & stops if the battery volts drop below a set level (plus we have the option to remote start the generator if needed).

We can leave the trailers for more then a week with out the need to refuel.

rookiepatroller
14th February 2014, 08:09 PM
One thing to keep under consideration sam, when u get your panels make sure you keep them clean!! Any shading of the cells will reduce the efficiency of the panel dramatically. You will also get more sun hours on the panels if you face them north!

FNQGU
14th February 2014, 08:44 PM
im running a hybrid system for my work coms trailers

Battery's, with solar panels and a diesel generator that auto starts & stops if the battery volts drop below a set level (plus we have the option to remote start the generator if needed).

We can leave the trailers for more then a week with out the need to refuel.

Nice work Tank, although starting to get complex with auto switching etc. for the average camper. I like it though, but no doubt there would be cost involved. Victron make an excellent charger with inbuilt switching for two sources, based on minimum battery voltage. Was just looking at them actually but hadn't heard of a vehicle mounted setup like yours.

rainsey
15th February 2014, 10:31 AM

I have put 2 x 200 watt solar panels on the roof of my canopy connected back to the vehicle via a Redarc 1240 DC-DC charger.

On the camper I have a 40 watt on the roof and a fold out 160w, both connected back to the battery via a Ctek s250 dual.

I am running an ARB 45 litre fridge in the camper and a Waeco CF50 in the ute.

Single 100ah in the camper and 2 100ah in the ute.
Have joined the 2 DC-DC chargers back to the main battery & alternator via 4 guage wire.

Fridges always cold and batteries always charged. Have managed so far never to need a generator... Touch wood:)

Cheers
Rainsey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Robo
15th February 2014, 11:51 AM
It all depends on what you want to do while your out n about.
How many of you are there to consume power?.
wash cloths by hand, or manual portable washer or camper van style 240v washer.
kids will put a larger strain on power reserves.
led lights or halogen, how many lights.
TV, stereo's lots of campers like a little music at times.
sat night few shandies and cars cranking out the vibs draining power.
inverters can drain a battery faster than you think.

then there's the type of regulator pwm or mppt.
pwm cheaper than but not as effective mppt.
Just some things to chew over.

2 days camping and simple will do (usually).
a week and you'll be needing to consider options
m2cw

FNQGU
15th February 2014, 03:18 PM

I have put 2 x 200 watt solar panels on the roof of my canopy connected back to the vehicle via a Redarc 1240 DC-DC charger.

On the camper I have a 40 watt on the roof and a fold out 160w, both connected back to the battery via a Ctek s250 dual.

I am running an ARB 45 litre fridge in the camper and a Waeco CF50 in the ute.

Single 100ah in the camper and 2 100ah in the ute.
Have joined the 2 DC-DC chargers back to the main battery & alternator via 4 guage wire.

Fridges always cold and batteries always charged. Have managed so far never to need a generator... Touch wood:)

Cheers
Rainsey

Rainsey, that is a good little setup you have there. It is just a big of a shame in my opinion that the T-van doesn't have much more roof space for a larger solar panel up top.

rainsey
17th February 2014, 05:04 PM
Rainsey, that is a good little setup you have there. It is just a big of a shame in my opinion that the T-van doesn't have much more roof space for a larger solar panel up top.

Ditto,

But it is amazing as to how much you can squeeze out of the 40 Watt that is on the roof.

I have a Vicrton Energy monitor in the T-Van and I am so impressed with it I put one on the dual batteries in the ute.

It can be a crappy day and I can still get a but under an amp out of the panel to trickle charge. Did not believe it at first so I stuck my clamp ammeter on the panel output.

But that is why I got the fold up. When travelling I just have it lying on the bed in the camper. If we are stopping for a good part of the day it takes 30 seconds to unfold and plug in. I installed an Anderson plug right next to the 240 plug on the camper, hidden away and wired it to the Ctek that lives inside.

Bottom line I am stoked with the performance of the setup.

Cheers
Rainsey

FNQGU
17th February 2014, 06:35 PM
Good one mate. I am looking hard at the Tvan as a possible future purchase myself. They look like a great bit of kit whilst still keeping things simple.

Drew
17th February 2014, 06:51 PM
Solar is preferred but comes down to your usage and whether you are in direct sunlight or it's shady or cloudy

I have a genny as when the panels couldn't keep up I kicked it in the guts to top up

There's a spreadsheet somewhere that you can work stuff out

rainsey
17th February 2014, 08:04 PM
Solar is preferred but comes down to your usage and whether you are in direct sunlight or it's shady or cloudy

I have a genny as when the panels couldn't keep up I kicked it in the guts to top up

There's a spreadsheet somewhere that you can work stuff out

Plus other thing to remember with a genny is to have a decent ac -DC charger.

Last year pre solar we were away for a period with the Candy Canvas slide on. Same battery set up only no camper trailer.
Had borrowed a friends genny as a backup in case the driving could not keep the charge up.

My the standard charger in the Candy Canvas ( gee I hate that name ) is a 7 amp unit. After about 10 hours of the genny running I was no better off .. Relatively speaking. By the third day it was good to leave, not for the company, just needed the batteries charged:) really needed a 25 amp unit for the time I could run the genny without having those around me Shanghai me.

Those around me with their fold out solar had no worries.

In weather like we are having my way at the moment, do doubt no matter how much solar you have you will need some backup ( been pouring ). But with my current solar setup, if I can get a good 5 to 7 hours of sunlight, I can keep the batteries topped up to pretty well full charge.

Drew
19th February 2014, 10:25 AM
I had the same problem rainsey, genny running for ages currently saving for a bigger charger :)

http://www.fridge-and-solar.net/gen_charge.htm

rainsey
19th February 2014, 05:19 PM
I had the same problem rainsey, genny running for ages currently saving for a bigger charger :)

http://www.fridge-and-solar.net/gen_charge.htm

Hey thanks for that link. Have not seen it before and it confirms what I have discovered as well.

Personally, before solar I was going to buy a 35 amp charger. Now I have the solar setup and a very grunty DC -DC charger, the 7 amp charger will probably stay as I plan to only need it in emergencies.

Over the past 3 years I have done 2 trips over to middle of WA and last year Cameron Corner / Innaminka / Cunnamulla and back. Each time after about the 3rd day of camping we had to spend a day at a caravan park just to get a powered site to keep the fridges running.

Now ... Hopefully, no more:)

Drew
19th February 2014, 06:13 PM
I left the engel in the car last weekend and it was not kind to the battery, took all night to get to 3/4 charge. I even thought it was charging the main as well :(

So the 7amp charger is going in the garage and the 25amp will be for the trips away coz i don't want to be left hanging when trying to charge 240ah in the van :(

DX grunt
19th February 2014, 07:19 PM
I swear by solar - except on overcast days. lol.

I've got 2 x 120w BP solar panels on the roof of my pod and they serve their purpose, well. My 2nd battery got down to about 65% by this morning, due to my car being serviced yesterday and me leaving my fridge freezer connected, and we still have a few hrs of sunlight left over here today and it's up to 93%.

I keep forgetting my 95lt Evakool Fridge/Freezer sucks up more juice than a smaller fridge/freezer. It doesn't help that I have a small power leak somewhere, either. lol

Rossco

rainsey
19th February 2014, 08:03 PM
I left the engel in the car last weekend and it was not kind to the battery, took all night to get to 3/4 charge. I even thought it was charging the main as well :(

So the 7amp charger is going in the garage and the 25amp will be for the trips away coz i don't want to be left hanging when trying to charge 240ah in the van :(

A great book to read is Solar that really works by Collyn Rivers.

I bought a copy ( 3rd edition ) from Jaycar. Read this and you will learn every thing you need to know.

One thing he states is not to have more battery capacity than you have solar.

But ... Some has to be better than none. I have a Waeco CF 40 in my truck and I habitually leave it on 24 x 7. More than once I did what you have done.

Not sure where you live and what your solar hours are like, but I am guessing your Engel probably draws about 4 amps when pumping and a pofteenth of nothing when it is not. Once it gets up to temperature depending the ambient temp, and your batteries are full, you would not need a large panel on the roof to trickle charge your batteries.

Oh, another thing. If you do not have one, get a cover for your fridge. The more insulation you can give it the better.

Drew
19th February 2014, 09:09 PM
Have a cover for the fridge, I'd hate to see it without one. Seriously, I thought vacuum cleaners suck :)

Drew
19th February 2014, 09:13 PM
I finally found that spreadsheet.

http://www.campertrailers.org/solar_spreadsheet.htm

rainsey
20th February 2014, 08:04 AM
Good one, thanks for that.

As stated on the spreadsheet it does not cover the use of MPPT controllers. IMO you would be mad not to use one as they really allow you to suck the most out of the solar array.

Re the table on solar hours, yep spot on and for my area at least very accurate.

Kindest regards
Rainsey

HuskyInAuz
22nd February 2014, 01:02 PM
FWIW here is another site with a couple of folks which are very respected in the marine community in 12vdc living. Learning and reference books are "Living on 12 volts with Ample Power" and "Wiring for 12 volts" by Ample Power.

www.amplepower.com
'Technical Documents' tab

I have both books, old editions, and they are excellent although they have a marine theme there is a lot of information to gain from the site itself. Doing about 35K NM of offshore sailing including Seattle to Sydney we're transitioning to land cruising and self sufficiency is a fundamental theme to both. I plan on building systems in the caravan and tug (4.2 now but considering, no stones please, a Iveco Daily 4x4) as we prepare to cast off our land lines. Solar potential here is 'spectacular' versus where a lot of our cruising was done and the possibilities extensive IMHO.

Drew
28th February 2014, 06:14 PM
Yay got my new 25amp charger.... Noice !! :)

threedogs
28th February 2014, 06:21 PM
you know the rules Drew Pic or it never happened lol

Cuppa
28th February 2014, 06:47 PM
Good one mate. I am looking hard at the Tvan as a possible future purchase myself. They look like a great bit of kit whilst still keeping things simple.

I stopped to look at one with a for sale sign on it by the side of the road recently. Owner came out & asked I I’d like him to open it up for me, I declined as by then I had read the $59k asking price! Not cheap!

rainsey
28th February 2014, 09:17 PM
I stopped to look at one with a for sale sign on it by the side of the road recently. Owner came out & asked I I’d like him to open it up for me, I declined as by then I had read the $59k asking price! Not cheap!

What the ...

I bought a top of the line Murrunji tvan with near every option brand spanking new only 3 months ago and I did not pay that much.

Tell him ' he's dreaming '

Drew
1st March 2014, 01:05 PM
you know the rules Drew Pic or it never happened lol
For you sweetie :)

Cuppa
1st March 2014, 04:12 PM
What the ...

I bought a top of the line Murrunji tvan with near every option brand spanking new only 3 months ago and I did not pay that much.

Tell him ' he's dreaming '

Not sure what model it was, but made in 2010 with every bell & whistle. Was a great set up, but not at that sort of money.

threedogs
1st March 2014, 05:00 PM
its still a trailer with a tent IMO well overpriced but ppl are prepared to buy them.
Mate just brought a big Bushtrakka caravan for a ridiculas amount of money

Drew
1st March 2014, 05:11 PM
its still a trailer with a tent IMO well overpriced but ppl are prepared to buy them.
Mate just brought a big Bushtrakka caravan for a ridiculas amount of money

We had a Kimberley and my brother has a tvan both nice pieces of kit. Sure a trailer with a tent but with heaps of extras.