PDA

View Full Version : King pin bearings

Lewy
17th January 2014, 04:56 PM
Gday all.. Just doing my service on the king pin bearings and well they feel good no movement in them and spin nicely but they look burnt/overheated?
What do you guys think?

Cheers Lewy

MudRunnerTD
17th January 2014, 05:09 PM
yeah they look pretty used mate. If you have some new ones then strip them off bud

nissannewby
17th January 2014, 05:10 PM
I would more likely say water ingress and it's surface rust.

Lewy
17th January 2014, 05:20 PM
Yer if say it's not rust as it's not able to move but might be. I don't have new bearings but will now look in to getting some! We are doing cape York for our honey moon this year so got to make sure all is up to scratch!

Parksy
17th January 2014, 05:21 PM
What above said. These bearings don't get hot, but they do cop a lot of abuse, generally in the same positions creating high and low spots.

Lewy
17th January 2014, 05:35 PM
So rust is what you think it is too.. Well bugger me LOL ok will look at ordering new ones :-) Im guessing Ill need a small press to put the new ones on? All good I like buying new tools :-)

Thanks every one!!

BigRAWesty
17th January 2014, 06:45 PM
So rust is what you think it is too.. Well bugger me LOL ok will look at ordering new ones :-) Im guessing Ill need a small press to put the new ones on? All good I like buying new tools :-)

Thanks every one!!

They actually come Off quite easily with a heat gun and some big screwdrivers or pinch bars.

MudRunnerTD
17th January 2014, 07:33 PM
Consider a Swivel Hub Rebuild Kit and do the lot mate, your front end will thank you. If the king pin bearings look like that the rest is likely less than average too.

Search on this forum for a number of very good threads on the How Too of the swivel hub rebuild.

Lewy
17th January 2014, 07:51 PM
Yep! That's now the plan! Thanks guys your all ever so helpful :-)

Cheers Lewy

Goldifox
24th February 2014, 10:40 PM
Hi Lewy,
I am looking to do the same thing, wondering how you went ?

GQ TANK
2nd March 2014, 10:14 PM
I rebuilt my front end over Christmas (also installed a LSD in the front)

Kit cost around $210 from evil bay (including a hub tool)

P4trol
3rd March 2014, 12:11 AM
How does that go?

GQ TANK
5th March 2014, 09:19 PM
im doing further testing this weekend - it made a difference in a couple of mud holes.

love ke70
6th March 2014, 10:44 PM
I would suggest if doing it, use a genuine kit. nothing worse than leaking axle seals after you done it all...just ask me.
Next time I am buying a genuine kit from patrolapart (follow the tab at the top title patrol parts), $400 and they do the tool for $35 and give forumers good deals from time to time. and pay to keep this forum running which is invaluable to me...

Cheers, Andy