PDA

View Full Version : How to prepare my Patrol for the Nullabor?

Leighw85
17th January 2014, 11:29 AM
Hey all

Im in the process of organising a trip across the Nullabor.
Im not very mechanically minded, so I'm wanting to prepare my GU in the best way possible.
It is the 2001 GU 3.0 ZD30. And have done a fair few of the mods to keep on top of the problems.

My car is due for the major service, so i will definitely be getting that done.

What other things mechanically on the car can i do to make sure i get there and back.
Might be a silly question but as i said i know very little mechanically. I just know how to drive it haha.

Any info and tips would be fantastic.

Thanks

MudRunnerTD
17th January 2014, 11:34 AM
Hi mate, have you done the NADS? The 2001 is renound for problems unfortunately. If your not up for it then find a good mechanic who will not rip you off and have the major service done and a Health Check done on the motor, how many kms has it done?

Consider hiring a Sat Phone, take out the highest RAC membership for best towing and pack plenty of food and water. If you break down stay with the car. Plenty of traffic should see you safe and well.

Hodge
17th January 2014, 11:34 AM
G'day mate. As many here will probably suggest. Being a ZD30, the NADS will be your most important preparation, unless you've already done so. That being fitting EGT and boost gauges, check for leaking intercooler, blanking off the EGR and maybe a catch can. This way your engine will breather easier and with your gauges, you'll be able to monitor how and what the engine is doing.

Stropp
17th January 2014, 11:51 AM
to add to the above with the temps we have been having i would get the viscous fan hub serviced and the radiator core rodded to ensure that is all good as weel as what the others have said. Also take enough fuel if you have room to get from Norseman to Cedunu as its horrendously expensive in between, cheapest fuel in Ceduna is usually the shell in town on the old hwy not the one on the bypass, they also accept shell discount vouchers.

Leighw85
17th January 2014, 12:17 PM
Hey

I have got some if the NADS done.
I have had the boost and EGT gauges fitted. Dawes and needle valve. Oil catch can also. But I have not blocked the EGR!

Would you recommend anything else?

My patrol has done about 270,000km.
Not sure if that's a heap for a diesel. I will get the major service done by my mechanic!
I just want to get the thing mechanically sound before I think about stuff to take, as I probably won't be going for 6 months yet! Just gives me plenty of time to sort my shit out!

Thanks

threedogs
17th January 2014, 12:49 PM
I've been across 16 times but never since it was sealed some by motor bike some by train the rest by car.
When you get your Patrol serviced get a pre trip inspection if you feel you need to. its not a difficult trip just long
and straight. Remember prices may be triple what you'll pay in a town, take heaps of water and not all in one container,
spread it around, plan your fill up points to avoid the high fuel costs, look out the window and play "Spot the Tree"

Cuppa
17th January 2014, 01:10 PM
The advice you've been given about getting the vehicle serviced & having the NADS done are really all you need to do, no different than any other long trip. Crossing the Nullarbor isn't what it once was. It's just a long drive. Plenty of other folk doing the same which makes it less 'remote'.
Most folk take the attitude of 'just getting across', driving for long hours & putting their vehicles under more stress, particularly in hot weather. If you can, I recommend taking your time, check out the sights along the way. There is more out there to see than many folk realise. Our two favourite overnight camps were at Newman Rocks & Cocklebiddy cave. The latter is about 10 or 15kms off the highway, multiple tracks all end up joining together. Great 'middle of nowhere' camping experience. no facilities at either though. Take your shovel or portapotti.
Out of Penola is a great little low cost surf camp at Cactus Beach. Lots of free camp areas along the highway, but expect to find them littered with dunny paper streamers, & other people's crap & rubbish. (Take what you need to avoid adding to it!). The Bunda cliffs are worth a look, especially in whale season & the Caiguna 'blowhole' is worth stopping at for a leg stretch.

This link will have more of interest. http://www.nullarbornet.com.au (http://www.nullarbornet.com.au/)
As I say, as well as having a well serviced car, taking your time will place far less stress on you & more importantly in hot weather, your car. Leave early, camp early.

Cuppa

Stropp
17th January 2014, 01:42 PM
and definitely get the egr block plate in.

threedogs
17th January 2014, 02:05 PM
beware of puff adders in the sand dunes

Leighw85
17th January 2014, 08:02 PM
and definitely get the egr block plate in.

The mechanic i take my Patrol to is a very well known place in Perth and they were really hesitant on blocking the EGR?
Im not sure why......... Any ideas?

It wild be a trip we take our time on for sure. Thats why we want to do it. Take in all the stops and attractions.
Would it be worth driving over with the rooftop tent? Not sure how much use it would get, for the amount of drag i would get driving so far with it?

Clunk
17th January 2014, 08:42 PM
The mechanic i take my Patrol to is a very well known place in Perth and they were really hesitant on blocking the EGR?

I

Hey Leigh, long time no see on here bud, hope all is well. Blocking the EGR it isn't quite legal, so I'm guessing they wouldn't want to be found out, specially if the mechanics are who I think they are.

Leighw85
17th January 2014, 09:06 PM
Hey Leigh, long time no see on here bud, hope all is well. Blocking the EGR it isn't quite legal, so I'm guessing they wouldn't want to be found out, specially if the mechanics are who I think they are.

Hey mate. I ain't been around to much, so bloody busy hey. Have been a way a while with work, now I can finally start planning a trip with so,em time off! How you been?

Is the EGR easy to myself? Looks like a pretty straight forward piece to put on!
So this is an important par to add?

Clunk
17th January 2014, 10:17 PM
Hey mate. I ain't been around to much, so bloody busy hey. Have been a way a while with work, now I can finally start planning a trip with so,em time off! How you been?

Is the EGR easy to myself? Looks like a pretty straight forward piece to put on!
So this is an important par to add?

Yeah not to bad this way mate, Mudski I believe is the man to ask about the EGR plate, not being a diesel owner I haven't paid to much attention but I believe it stops all the EGR gunk going into the intake and clogging it all up (or something like that).......... Bucket loads of info on it in here somewhere.

the evil twin
17th January 2014, 11:04 PM

Because
a) EGR blocks are illegal and
b) they screw with the ECU and will illuminate the check engine light with P0401 fault codes

but...

there is NO WAY I would be without an EGR block on any ZD30 Patrol I owned

Leighw85
17th January 2014, 11:20 PM
So it's a pretty important mod?
Doesn't it raise your EGT's also?

Is there any adjustments that are needed once it's installed. To anything? And how easy is it to fit?

BigRAWesty
18th January 2014, 12:14 AM
So it's a pretty important mod?
Doesn't it raise your EGT's also?

Is there any adjustments that are needed once it's installed. To anything? And how easy is it to fit?

From reading about the zd30 engines the egr system is one if the main causes of blowen engines.
It cakes the intake and head with soot which in turn creates uneven hot spots and then it's down hill from there.

To do it properly you need to block the egr, 2 bolts which can be stubborn so prep with the wd40 is recommend, slip the plate in and refit pipe.
But also you need to remove all the crap which will be plastering your intake manifold, intercooler and intake pipes.

So if you have the time strip your intake Off and give it all a good clean out..

Leighw85
18th January 2014, 05:47 AM
So just say I unbolted and fitted a EGR blocking plate and bolted it back up. ( is it really just that easy? )
Or is there boosting issues I have to sort or anything afterwards?

threedogs
18th January 2014, 08:02 AM
Block it at the top of the motor too, yes very easy to do remove engine cover,
you'll see it on the LHS of motor un-do 2 x 10mm bolts, place the plate behind
with the OE gasket and tighten.

my third 256
18th January 2014, 08:24 AM
as you are in perth talk to the ferret he sells them and is a member here
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/member.php?659-the-ferret

BigRAWesty
18th January 2014, 08:32 AM
Yea that easy to do.
To get best outta the patrol
A re tune could be on the card, but it will run fine as is. You may notice a small power increase due to drawing 100% fresh air.

BigRAWesty
18th January 2014, 08:35 AM
Because
a) EGR blocks are illegal and
b) they screw with the ECU and will illuminate the check engine light with P0401 fault codes

but...

there is NO WAY I would be without an EGR block on any ZD30 Patrol I owned

Why does it throw the code?? Didn't think there was an egr sensor??

Leighw85
18th January 2014, 10:09 AM
So get the plate, whack it in and that is absolutely all?
Sounds and looks easy enough.
I though i read somewhere that it effete the boots levels or something.

Also having a little problem with my diesel gas conversion.
The gas is full, its turned on but it does not seem to be mixing and working.
Where would i take my car to get this gas system looked at?

threedogs
18th January 2014, 10:42 AM
You will need to find a place that does Diesel/gas conversions.
may be just a gas conversion centre may be able to help
Check wires to the switching solenoid for power

Stropp
18th January 2014, 01:40 PM
try united fuel injection in redcliff mate.

the evil twin
19th January 2014, 01:10 AM

Your correct, it is a fiddly job but anyone can do it and, yes, it changes the Turbo behaviour.
I adjusted my Turbo as per the Nissan Bible and she has been good as gold ever since (did EGR about 70,000 K's ago)

There are reports that the early ZD30's won't throw an error code. I don't know if that is true or not as I haven't owned one.
The later ones certainly do and the code is P0401 "Exhaust Gas Recirculation flow insufficient"
If yours doesn't the thats tickety boo, if it does then you have a few choices to "fix" the check engine light coming on...
Some people drill a small hole in the plate (I think 10mm but could be wrong).
If you have a CRD you can clear it with a Scangauge
You can just ignore it and hope it was the EGR block

BigRAWesty
19th January 2014, 08:25 AM

Also having a little problem with my diesel gas conversion.
The gas is full, its turned on but it does not seem to be mixing and working.
Where would i take my car to get this gas system looked at?

It does affect boost levels if fitted alone.
You have fitted the dawnes valve so this should still hold its setting.

the evil twin
19th January 2014, 03:42 PM
Sorry Westy... it was you that mentioned some ZD's not throwing error codes and I didn't acknowledge that earlier.

Onya for posting that up mate, I wasn't aware of that only having had a CRD in the 3 litre.

Totally agree that the Dawes will hold boost level before and after however the Needle may or may not need a tweak to get the desired spool rate.
Again I base that on having to adjust the actuator on the CRD's so could be wrong... again... :clownredpuff:

BigRAWesty
19th January 2014, 04:23 PM
Sorry Westy... it was you that mentioned some ZD's not throwing error codes and I didn't acknowledge that earlier.

Onya for posting that up mate, I wasn't aware of that only having had a CRD in the 3 litre.

Totally agree that the Dawes will hold boost level before and after however the Needle may or may not need a tweak to get the desired spool rate.
Again I base that on having to adjust the actuator on the CRD's so could be wrong... again... :clownredpuff:

And I'm only going on what I read lol.
So really we should be the last 2 to listen to.. :cool:

Leighw85
19th January 2014, 08:13 PM
Cheers fellas.
Ill get this sorted when i get home from work in a couple of weeks.

There is power getting to the switch of my diesel gas as the lights are on it saying its full.
Looks like i will need to take it to United in Redcliffe. Thats the place that keeps popping up in my searches also.

outback
20th January 2014, 03:55 PM
Just 2 things you might want to consider:
1. Bigger intercooler with attached fan.
2. If your current glow plugs have done about 80,000K get them physically checked or just replaced.

threedogs
20th January 2014, 04:05 PM
Doing this cross country jaunt you have your Patrol sorted but what about you.
Don't know what head set you run be it SD card or USB or Ipod get 100 of your best songs andput them on random/
My small SD card is only 4gb but has over 1000 songs and 48 hrs of music. Think you would get pretty sick of radio if you could get reception'
Bit of The three tenors ,Choir boys worlds your oyster, even a DVD for the passenger is not out of the question either

Leighw85
21st January 2014, 08:09 PM
Thats all sorted mate. Very important all the time, not just a big trip :P
Thanks for the heads up but!

Heinzy
23rd October 2015, 02:27 PM
How did your trip turn out