PDA

View Full Version : havin starting problems

wookie
28th January 2011, 10:24 PM
:furious::furious:hey guys was wantin sum help havin problems gettin the old girl startin. first thought was battery(replaced with new ) second thought glow relay (replaced with new)not sure what else. I turn the key glow light go's off then try starting an all i get is a cliking noise from the relay she dosent turn, any help would be awsome thanx boys WOOKI...........

Finly Owner
28th January 2011, 11:02 PM
check that the start wire is on starter motor. It's the thin wire that connects onto spade fitting on your starter. it activates starter when relay iniates power. This can fall off and motor remains running until you shut it off. So if it fell off when last moved, would create your confusion you are having at mo.

Tim

wookie
28th January 2011, 11:09 PM
hey tim

yeah dosen't do it all the time has done it a few times on an off some times worse than others

Finly Owner
28th January 2011, 11:13 PM
It may the bridging wire from soleniod to actual starter on the starter motor, loose or breaking. You'll need to slide underneath with small bright torch to check it's ok.

Apart from that check the wires on your ignition are all well connected.

Any other thoughts Tony and all.

YNOT
29th January 2011, 01:10 AM
The first thing I would do is put a relay in for the start wire (the thin wire Tim was referring to in post #2) to make sure you are getting full current to the solenoid. Just wire it up like a spotlight relay.
Also check the condition of the big red power cable to the starter and the earth cables from the engine block to the chassis and battery.
If that does not fix it then I would suspect a faulty starter motor.

Tony

MQ MAD
29th January 2011, 04:54 PM
Check ALL the earth straps

Make sure there got good clean contact
IF the contacts are rusty or such you wont get good contact
Maybe unbolt givem a quick scuff with sand paper or such
Then see what happens

Finly Owner
29th January 2011, 10:52 PM
and let us know how you went.

Tim

wookie
30th January 2011, 12:08 PM
thanx guys ill give it a crack and let ya know how she go's

wookie
14th February 2011, 07:10 PM
hey guys got the startin problem sorted turnd out to be a dud soleniod got it rebuilt and go's good thanxs for all the input

YNOT
14th February 2011, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

Tony

patch697
14th February 2011, 07:55 PM
X2..................That go's for me too.

Cheers
Paul

timbar
14th February 2011, 08:12 PM
Another happy customer !!! Good job guys :)

mrmilf
22nd April 2012, 01:27 PM
hi wookie, im having the same problem... what solenoid was the problem?

mrmilf
22nd April 2012, 02:10 PM
okay excellent.. gave it a nice solid tap and it started! time for a rebuild i guess..

patto826
20th May 2012, 01:26 PM
Any idea roughly on what a new solenoid is or to get it rebuilt? cheers

luvpsi
20th May 2012, 06:27 PM
i know that you can get a whole starter rebuilt for roughly 180 im in need of one aswell as i have to park on a hill at the moment haha