PDA

View Full Version : Important update of forum and discussions

AB
15th January 2014, 03:18 PM
Hi folks,

I'm a little bit freaked out by doing this due to the size of the forum but we need to update the forum to a newer version for many reasons...

Without getting into too much detail on a public forum Tapatalk are now taking over full control of their apps and putting their own advertising on there meaning MC will also be effected. By upgrading to a newer version of our forum software we can have our own built in mobile version of the site similar to TT which we have full control of rather than relying off a third party which is very important for the direction and growth of the forum.
I have never updated the forum and the site could be vulnerable to attacks, which it has been in the past and is hard for me to resolve. By upgrading we can eliminate the majority of that in one shot.
More plugins and options to grow features of the software and not be left behind like many forums do.
My main concerns are loosing the Thanks tallys and the video section plug ins. The person who designed the Thanks plugin has vanished and all of the forum owners who used his plugin are left on their own with no support.

I really don't know if it will work properly when we upgrade. Actually, I know it will work but I am very concerned people will loose their Thanks tallys.

I will of course back everything up before I do anything in case it falls apart and we can go back to this software until we work it out.

Any other comments or important add ons we have made that I have forgotten about or anything I may have forgotten then feel free to let us know below.

No ETA yet, just found out I have to do this so will spend this week researching the best way, safest way and umm....How to do it...lol

BigRAWesty
15th January 2014, 03:22 PM
If you need a contact yo bounce things Off of who has done a bigger migration with VB just drop a line mate.
This bloke runs his own server business.

Anyway, have fun..

MudRunnerTD
15th January 2014, 03:34 PM
Well that will suk a bit mate! Although my Thanks tally is appreciated the way the Thanks is embedded into every thread is far more beneficial to the forum. Ghee it would be disappointing to loose this foundation. Oh Well. Do what you have to do there mate! Just DONT FARK IT UP!!!!! ;)

Bob
15th January 2014, 03:40 PM
Thanks Tally is not important to me but it is always nice to thank someone for Input sometimes

Bloodyaussie
15th January 2014, 03:43 PM
God you are boring......!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stick to making ovens and drinking crap beer!!!

Winnie
15th January 2014, 03:53 PM
Who cares about the thanks tally? Really? It's about as important as the post count.

AB
15th January 2014, 03:59 PM
I'll get it going gents...

What I might do is get everyone to record their tallys later on and if it fails I'll work out a way to re write it all back in if need be.

It'll be ok...BAHAHHA....Who am I kidding, we are all doomed!!!

Maxhead
15th January 2014, 04:08 PM
Couldn't give a fark about the thanks , thanks mate...lol

Edit. It is kind of nice though

the evil twin
15th January 2014, 06:10 PM
PFFFT... its the info that is important not the points score so just do it AB...

Oh and "Thanks"

Stropp
15th January 2014, 07:03 PM
yeh just do it.

NissanGQ4.2
15th January 2014, 07:05 PM
About farken time Andy!!!

Look forward 2 it, I use a more recent version on another forum and the attachment uploading is 100% better than what we use currently.

I don't care about the thanks or been thanked counts, at ET said its the info on here that's important

Also Andy the other forum I use which uses VB 4.2.0 uses a thanks and a like post option if u want I can suss out what there using

NP99
15th January 2014, 07:26 PM
As long as the site maintains its mateship aura, nothing else matters. Good luck with the upgrade mate.

AB
15th January 2014, 07:35 PM
Thanks blokes, yeah we just can't update to 5.0 only up to 4.9 as the thanks won't work on the latest.

Let me thoroughly go through it all this week and well make it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

growler2058
15th January 2014, 07:39 PM
Bloody bugger bum what are you thinking!!!!!!!!!

Whatever works mate. Just DONT FORK IT UP!!

Jonesy_sa
15th January 2014, 07:46 PM
From experience a long time ago; just back up, back up and back up. People can be quick to complain when posts are lost; just imagine if all those TB to TD posts vanished ;-)
Haven't been here long but it's a great forum, you doing a great job.
PS - my thanks tally is one million; feel free to fix that post update ;-)

Woof
15th January 2014, 08:11 PM
We all know that you are going to stuff it up AB.................................but we are used to that mate...
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/01/3.gif

Sir Roofy
15th January 2014, 09:25 PM
just do it mate

Cuppa
16th January 2014, 07:51 AM
Like others the thanks tally is unimportant to me, but I do hope it will be possible to retain the thanks function ..... Saves heaps of work in the photo comps!

threedogs
16th January 2014, 08:44 AM
gotta do what ya gotta do eh

mudski
16th January 2014, 08:48 AM
Who cares about the thanks tally? Really? It's about as important as the post count.
Hit it right on the head there mate....

I just thanked you for your comment too.... :p How ironic.

Wouldn't it be funny if the post counts were lost too. None of us could download the manuals... I could see the intro section being spammed big time and the race would be on to see who hit the 1k first...