PDA

View Full Version : Gu 3L diesel just stopped

Glen 93 patrol
14th January 2014, 07:57 PM
G'day all.

I've got a sticky one for you on behalf of my brother.

His rig is a 2000 gu 3L diesel with a 2005 model zd30 engine.
He was driving home one night and his truck just stopped as if someone just turned the ignition off. No warming lights or sounds we're seen before and truck was running well and had been for 10,000km.
About 150km ago he did a service and changed fuel filter too. When he changed the filter the connected all fuel lines and wires back up correctly then pressurised the lines by pumping it hard. Ran fine for the next 150 odd km then just stopped. Now I had a bit of a look see at it this arvo and the priming pump was soft for one or two pumps then went rock hard. He then cranked it over and the priming pump went soft again for one or two pumps.

Is it possible to have an air lock in the lines between the filter and injector pump or air leak somewhere? Injector pump itself maybe?

Also YES he does have fuel. 3/4 of a tank.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Cheers Glen.

Rumcajs
14th January 2014, 08:08 PM
Is the battery OK? Check the voltage EDC engines are very sensitive to battery voltage.
Is the engine check lamp on/blinking? If it was a pump there would be some code indication too. Also is the engine ECU powered up? Check fuses etc.. This seems like electrical fault not mechanical.
If the primer "hardens up" after a couple of presses it means the fuel is OK.
Cheers

Glen 93 patrol
14th January 2014, 08:17 PM
Dual battery. Both 12.7 volts. I've check all fuses and relays. All are working and seem fine. I've swapped some over with others aswell. No engine lights of error codes or anything light up. To me it does seem electrical not mechanical. I was thinking maybe a crank angle sensor.

Rumcajs
14th January 2014, 08:24 PM
Well just to confirm that check lamp does lights up initially when ignition is turned on. If it doesn't than ECU is not on.
Cheers

Glen 93 patrol
15th January 2014, 10:15 AM
The normal lights come on in the dash when ignition is on. Ecu does power up.

pbk1776
15th January 2014, 10:34 AM
Yo Glen - RAF here

Warrick had the same problem - they changed the whole pump housing because it was failing hard
and sometime air gets into the fuel system.

Try to get this check mate - might be the same deal with your Brother

threedogs
15th January 2014, 11:07 AM
Could it be cracked or perished fuel lines ?

ThomasWatson
15th January 2014, 04:28 PM
I had that exact problem about a week ago and replaced pump and filter all genuine and no more issues