PDA

View Full Version : Spare wheel damage if not covered.

Patrol-Guy
13th January 2014, 08:26 PM
Hey all, someone said to me the other day that I really need to get a spare wheel cover because the weather damages the tyre if not covered.

I don't mind getting a cover, in fact I'm going to get one, but it was wondering, does the weather actually damage the tyre?

The spare looks brand new and possibly been there since 2008. Doesn't look damaged to me . . . . . or is there hidden dangers lurking.

Anyone had any issues with this before?

Paul

Winnie
13th January 2014, 08:33 PM
Sometimes you see real old ones that have been sitting on the rear door for decades, the top of them is much brighter than the bottom and the white writing is running. Surely the tyre would not be very good, but I wonder if a tyre cover would stop the tyre from going rock hard?
A Redback spare wheel rubbish bag is a great tyre cover =]

AB
13th January 2014, 08:34 PM
The uv can break down the rubber in direct sunlight after many years for sure.

You could get a wheel cover and then a redback 4x4 spare wheel cover over that for added protection and functionality all in one...lol...wink wink.

P4trol
13th January 2014, 08:37 PM
It is true, tyres in hot climates perish quicker than cold climates. It's happening to the ones on the car too... And sitting on concrete is bad too. The air is what detonates the rubber. Sun doesn't help either

But including the spare in the rotation will allow you to use it and extend your tyre wear life by as much as 1/5 more if it doesn't perish first.

Beware the trapped moisture isn't going to cause other troubles.

MudRunnerTD
13th January 2014, 08:51 PM
Yes it's paramount that you rotate your tyres including the spare for equal tyre life.

I have had a Cooper AT fully delaminate at 100kmh after I fitted it when I smashed a rim on the beach a few years ago. The tyre did not match the rest on the car and I assume it had been on the back door a few years.

I had the family in the car, it was the Sunday before the return to work in the new year and it was 40d and I was towing the camper at the time!!!

I expected Cooper to warrant it but they denied the warranty. They noted the the tyre was date stamped 4.5 years old but as it had been on the back door it had not been rotated and had broken down on the back door.

If it's a new tyre on the back from 2008 I would be dubious about using it. It's a safety issue.

If you have a look at the small print on the tyre markings you will probably find the date of manufacture.

The UV light is the killer.

AB
13th January 2014, 09:05 PM
Slight hijack but where was that thread and diagram on rotating tyres with a spare?

Winnie
13th January 2014, 09:09 PM
Slight hijack but where was that thread and diagram on rotating tyres with a spare?

I've got this saved on my phone and use it when I change tyres

jack
13th January 2014, 09:13 PM
Hey AB, could print that inside the redback 4x4 spare wheel cover.

AB
13th January 2014, 09:15 PM
Hey AB, could print that inside the redback 4x4 spare wheel cover.

That would be a great idea!!!

ThomasWatson
13th January 2014, 09:25 PM
Being a mechanic by trade, tyres crack with age and to legally pass rego. One of the four on the car can be cracked anywhere and just so your safe check your tyres tread for any slight cracks they go a lot deeper than you think

lhurley
13th January 2014, 10:07 PM
When rotating tyres, does anyone rotate the rim so that the tyre is facing the same direction but on the other sure?
Eg, front right, rim rotated to make it left

Reason I say that is, I heard that the belt in the tyre moves and turns slightly with driving in 1 direction, when you turn the tyre around (not flip the rim) the belt then starts to turn the other way and in doing so becomes weaker as it moves in the rubber to much.

MudRunnerTD
13th January 2014, 10:28 PM
When rotating tyres, does anyone rotate the rim so that the tyre is facing the same direction but on the other sure?
Eg, front right, rim rotated to make it left

Reason I say that is, I heard that the belt in the tyre moves and turns slightly with driving in 1 direction, when you turn the tyre around (not flip the rim) the belt then starts to turn the other way and in doing so becomes weaker as it moves in the rubber to much.

I am running directional tread tyres and am forced to keep them in the same direction (pain in the arse!!) to do a full rotation I have to get all 4 tyres stripped off rims and refitted every third rotation to get the best wear. Adding this into the cost of purchase and a cheap tyre becomes an expensive tyre over the life.

If I was running BFgs or something I'd have no hesitation flipping and swapping sides every rotation. Rotate every 10,000 and I doubt it would be a big problem. IMO

lhurley
13th January 2014, 11:02 PM
I am running directional tread tyres and am forced to keep them in the same direction (pain in the arse!!) to do a full rotation I have to get all 4 tyres stripped off rims and refitted every third rotation to get the best wear. Adding this into the cost of purchase and a cheap tyre becomes an expensive tyre over the life.

If I was running BFgs or something I'd have no hesitation flipping and swapping sides every rotation. Rotate every 10,000 and I doubt it would be a big problem. IMO

I usually rotate every 5k. I just did my first 5k rotation on my km2s today. It shouldn't be to much to get them swapped. It's usually about $100 with a balance as well for my local. If your paying to get a balance (very important to tyre wear) then why not pay the little extra for a rotation?? What I've heard makes sense to me, whether or not my previous comment pertrays that right is another thing.

my third 256
14th January 2014, 08:14 AM
i found with big chunky tyers they needed to be run backwards then forwards as per winnies diagrams
because they get a wedge on the tread and needs to be warn back to smooth again
learnt the hard way myself
everyone in the street could here me comming as they were so noisy

threedogs
14th January 2014, 09:14 AM
My thinking is the spare on the door is just that a spare, its only purpose it to get you out of the shite and
enable you to get to a servo to repair the other tyre,
Guy I know just brought a 08 model Patrol and Cops gave him a un-rwc for his spare being bald.
If he threw it in the back he would of been fine, as you don't have to carry a spare, but bloody handy if you get a flat

MudRunnerTD
14th January 2014, 09:36 AM
i found with big chunky tyers they needed to be run backwards then forwards as per winnies diagrams
because they get a wedge on the tread and needs to be warn back to smooth again
learnt the hard way myself
everyone in the street could here me comming as they were so noisy

This is my current problem with my Khumo KL71s, they have scalloped and need to run backwards to flatten out but they are directional.

Mud Gecko
14th January 2014, 09:38 AM
I rotate my spare in too. The way I see it is by the time I'm ready for a new set of treads I may not want the same tyres or like others have said the spare would be no good. Up here the sun kills everything much quicker than down south. I have KM2's and haven't had any issues turning the tyres to run the opposite way.

oddkid82
14th January 2014, 10:58 AM
[QUOTE=P4trol;468062]It is true, tyres in hot climates perish quicker than cold climates. It's happening to the ones on the car too... And sitting on concrete is bad too. The air is what detonates the rubber.

I have a set of mtz for weekend fun. I store them in the shed in the concrete floor, would this be bad for them, if so, what would be the right way to store them?

BigRAWesty
14th January 2014, 11:13 AM
[QUOTE=P4trol;468062]It is true, tyres in hot climates perish quicker than cold climates. It's happening to the ones on the car too... And sitting on concrete is bad too. The air is what detonates the rubber.

I have a set of mtz for weekend fun. I store them in the shed in the concrete floor, would this be bad for them, if so, what would be the right way to store them?

I think long storage On floor creates flat spots.

But were talking a decade of our climate for deterioration. A year or 2 will do fa.

threedogs
14th January 2014, 11:19 AM
directional tyres are a PITB IMO but MR wouldn't hurt to turn them around to even out the tread,
going to be very noisy and chatter for a while I would think.
Directionals make you think every bearing in the Patrol is shot lol

Wizard52
14th January 2014, 02:44 PM
I rotate my spare in too. The way I see it is by the time I'm ready for a new set of treads I may not want the same tyres or like others have said the spare would be no good. Up here the sun kills everything much quicker than down south. I have KM2's and haven't had any issues turning the tyres to run the opposite way.

Agree. By rotating all 5 we get max use as the older they get, the harder they get up to a point where UV light destroys them. Bridgestone dealer said 6 yrs is normal max SAFE life of tyres. I've had an old tyre blow out on caravan because it had been sitting on side of van facing sun.

threedogs
14th January 2014, 03:05 PM
a lot of old timers used to buy 4 tyres and throw them up on the roof of their shed for a month or so to "harden" up
Thinking being hard they will last longer

ben ren
14th January 2014, 08:04 PM
Rotating your spare tyre through will prevent it from becoming damaged from the elements-as the tyre "blooms" and antiozonant is forced to the outer surface forming a protective layer

Stropp
15th January 2014, 11:25 PM
I have two spares so rotate spares to rear and rear to front and front to spare and cross the spares when they go on.

Bluecrab
20th January 2014, 10:25 PM

Same tyres x5, same drill ere

mudski
20th January 2014, 11:24 PM
a lot of old timers used to buy 4 tyres and throw them up on the roof of their shed for a month or so to "harden" up
Thinking being hard they will last longer

Hehe. Theres a few members here that need to thrown up on the roof of a shed for a bit too....
As for me I don't rotate my tyres as they only cost me $400 for five with rims so when they wear out I'll just get another set and worry about it then.

Winnie
20th January 2014, 11:26 PM
Hehe. Theres a few members here that need to thrown up on the roof of a shed for a bit too....

Baaahahhaahah! Good post Mark