PDA

View Full Version : Auto transmission fluid change problem

iac27
12th January 2014, 04:58 PM
Hi, I need some help I e searched everywhere and can't find any answers. I have a 95 safari with 172xxx km on it. Changed the atf recently, cycled it through with shell spirax s5 fluid (drain pan and refill, run vehicle for two minutes and repeat 3x) new gasket and filter. Used about 15 quarts in total. I measured what I took out and replaced it almost exactly. The old fluid was black. Didn't really smell burned. Fine metal filings on the magnet.

Started the vehicle and drove it for a kilometre. Felt clutches were not catching so I added some more fluid. Symptoms improved. Now it would only drop out of gear when I applied the brakes and came to a stop.

The next day I spent an hour fine tuning the fluid level at operating temp in park. Transmission shifts smooth but will sometimes drop out of gear when I am stopped and will need some gentle revs before it catches.

I've disconnected my batteries and turned the starter for a minute to drain before reconnecting the battered 10 min later in case it was the ecu or tcu ( if this truck has one) acting up. No success.

Help! I'm worried I've somehow damaged the transmission. It was working fine before this but I didn't know the previous history of the fluid.

Thanks
Ian

Clunk
12th January 2014, 05:19 PM
You'll need to find out if the ATF you've used is the same or has the same properties as The Nissan dmatic ATF that Nissan recommends or these autos.

iac27
12th January 2014, 05:32 PM
It's equivalent to nissmatic d. Says on shells site.

Parksy
12th January 2014, 06:44 PM
Might be a stupid question, but did you check the fluid level while the engine is idling?

lhurley
12th January 2014, 07:00 PM
My guess is wrong fluid, or there was already an underlying issue that has come up due to the new oil being thinner (less junk in it).

Could also be insufficient level. It has to be checked while idling in park. They do take a lot of oil. Including the torque converter, it's some 12L. Should be able to get about 5-6L out of it.

NissanGQ4.2
12th January 2014, 07:04 PM
Also needs to be run up and down through the gears before putting it into park and checking it while idling

iac27
12th January 2014, 07:42 PM
It has been checked in park at idle after warming up.

Parksy
12th January 2014, 08:38 PM
If the transmission hasn't been serviced regularly, it's possible that the fresh detergents in the new oil has dislodged years of built up grime and have blocked the valve body/servos.

iac27
13th January 2014, 03:46 AM
Figured it out. The atf is correct. My filter is not quite the right one. I ordered a Infiniti q45 filter because its the same transmission BUT they have different capacities so the pipe is the wrong length. Anyone know if its bad to drive my vehicle before I replace the filter?

BillsGU
13th January 2014, 11:05 AM
Good news mate! Thanks for the feedback. Personally - I would not risk it. AT repairs are VERY expensive - especially for the sake of a filter which you have to replace anyway. Just for interest sake - does it get so cold in BC that the ATF freezes? Do you need special fluids / anti freezes up your way?

NissanGQ4.2
13th January 2014, 11:12 AM
Anyone know if its bad to drive my vehicle before I replace the filter?

Don't know, but I wouldn't risk it. Could do damage and then need to spend a fortune in repairs

iac27
15th January 2014, 11:32 AM
It doesn't get that cold where I live. Mind you, I'm in the warmest part of Canada.
Farther north you might need special atf and never turn your diesel truck off
But that's far away from me.

iac27
1st March 2014, 07:18 AM
It was my mistake for this one. I got the wrong filter. It's for the right transmission but for the wrong pan depth....so the inlet pipe wasn't long enough to suck up the ATF. All fixed now and runs great!

NissanGQ4.2
1st March 2014, 07:38 AM
It was my mistake for this one. I got the wrong filter. It's for the right transmission but for the wrong pan depth....so the inlet pipe wasn't long enough to suck up the ATF. All fixed now and runs great!

Good 2 hear, I assume you didn't end up driving it around until you got it fixed?