PDA

View Full Version : basic info for a td42 Newbie??

Bulldozen
11th January 2014, 03:20 PM
Hey guys I've been doing a conversion (TD42 na/black top) into a mq ute. The issues I'm faced with are not only do I have next to no experience with this type of motor but I also have a turbo to go with it, the turbo is a Swichtzer oil feed comes from sender and return goes to the block just behind alt. I've been sifting through al the info here and I'm not finding the answers I need can any of you fellas school me on how to get the best proformance out of what I have to work with , should I buy a inter cooler? If so what sort? Should I sell the oil cooled Schwitzer and buy a water cooled turbo? How much boost is safe? Should I put return straight to the sump?? And the list goes on. Hope you blokes can help me out cheers,

growler2058
11th January 2014, 03:36 PM
One of the td42 guru boys will help you out no doubt mate, beneboy or nissanewby

Bulldozen
11th January 2014, 04:04 PM
Yeah thanks mate also need to find some were to buy a egt gauge..

BigRAWesty
11th January 2014, 05:09 PM
When people say water cooled they mean the air is cooled by the water instead of a traditional air cooler.
All turbos have oil running threw the body.

Any specs On the turbo?

Also buy your egt and boost gauges from the same place to get matching.
Heaps On eBay.

Dales300exc
11th January 2014, 05:12 PM
Thats half correct. All turbos have oil running through them. Some also have water in a different part of the housing. Its no difference really. They will both work perfectly.

Intercooled is always better. No exceptions. It comes down to budget. Non intercooled will still be ok. Just need to be more careful on a black top.

Bulldozen
13th January 2014, 04:16 PM
Ok cool cheers an inter cooler will lower egt meaning I can run higher boost safely is that right?? And not sure on turbo specs will dig some up though. Am I better of with a water cooled inter cooler? And a 3inch dump is better for a td42? I currently have a 2,1/2 inch.