PDA

View Full Version : I want more torque, Cheap options?

ThomasWatson
11th January 2014, 02:35 PM
hi i own a 3.0lt td gu 2 whats the best way to get more power it sucks up even the slightest hill

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as its stock and i have read alot about upping the boost

Bloodyaussie
11th January 2014, 03:06 PM
Talk to Mudski... 3inch exhaust blah blah blah..... I dont know about cheap..... 4wd and cheap dont go together!!!!

Drewboyaus
11th January 2014, 04:28 PM
I reckon the cheapest way would be to sell the GU and buy a GQ!!!
LOL.
Not really helpful I know, but there are a few here that have had success improving the performance if the ZD30.
As Bloodyaussie said though, there is nothing cheap about this lifestyle.

threedogs
11th January 2014, 04:46 PM
first chip and exhaust then high flow billet MAF and alloy air cleaner housing, Bigger IC.
just out of interest how quick do you think a 3 ltr would go.
I've done plenty and happy as power to tow and overtake safely.
never ever gunna be a rocket ship, and the further you go from std the more things can go wrong

BigRAWesty
11th January 2014, 05:03 PM
Have you installed the NADS system??
You could possibly be seeing the beginning of the end.

Beno
12th January 2014, 02:37 PM
first chip and exhaust then high flow billet MAF and alloy air cleaner housing, Bigger IC.
just out of interest how quick do you think a 3 ltr would go.
I've done plenty and happy as power to tow and overtake safely.
never ever gunna be a rocket ship, and the further you go from std the more things can go wrong

What ECM/Chip did you purchase, did you do any dyno before/after to see actual results? I will dyno a before and after but still new wagon (only 3,000km on her so far)....

threedogs
12th January 2014, 02:51 PM
No Dyno, just fiddling with the Dawes valve, trying to find the sweet spot. STD they say 118Kw with a DP chip 138Kw I think.
goes hard enough for my liking, efficiency is what I'm after ,
First fit the NADS, to protect your ride

the evil twin
12th January 2014, 06:57 PM
hi i own a 3.0lt td gu 2 whats the best way to get more power it sucks up even the slightest hill

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as its stock and i have read alot about upping the boost

Up the boost on a GU 2 ZD30 and you'll blow the engine sure as shit sticks to a blanket and there is no cheap option for more torque.

The only way is more fuel and more air by more efficient intercooling not higher boost.
Indeed NADS and Dawes valve etc is to limit boost and usually at a lower pressure than what you have now.

First mods you need to do are NADS then you can work on a Chip, bigger free flowing exhaust and better intercooler.

Other alternative is to just accept the vehicle for what it is and enjoy it. They go more than OK stock off road, aren't a sprint car on road and when towing can't pull the skin off custard at RPM below 2200

Mud Gecko
12th January 2014, 07:31 PM
Up the boost on a GU 2 ZD30 and you'll blow the engine sure as shit sticks to a blanket and there is no cheap option for more torque.

First mods you need to do are NADS then you can work on a Chip, bigger free flowing exhaust and better intercooler.

I wouldn't agree that high boost kills these motors, it's heat. By having control of boost you can bring your EGTs down which in turn allows you to put more fuel in. NADS is a must.

I'm running 18psi in mine and I rarely see EGTs go over 500°C. My probe is 50mm after the turbo.

ZD's are definitely no torque monster but in my opinion do a good job of moving a big car. There are a few guys getting really good torque numbers but as said its not cheap.

See this link for a good visual representation of boost/EGT relationship.

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/zd30-di-engine-3-litre-71/boost-drop-egt-rise-help-133666/

happygu
12th January 2014, 07:54 PM
My Brother-in-law added a manual boost controller, and said it was like adding a second chip......I think this would be the cheapest way to improve torque, or by blocking the EGR

Mic

Beno
12th January 2014, 10:42 PM
I wouldn't agree that high boost kills these motors, it's heat. By having control of boost you can bring your EGTs down which in turn allows you to put more fuel in. NADS is a must.

I'm running 18psi in mine and I rarely see EGTs go over 500°C. My probe is 50mm after the turbo.

ZD's are definitely no torque monster but in my opinion do a good job of moving a big car. There are a few guys getting really good torque numbers but as said its not cheap.

See this link for a good visual representation of boost/EGT relationship.

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/zd30-di-engine-3-litre-71/boost-drop-egt-rise-help-133666/

Good link :) Thanks.

ThomasWatson
12th January 2014, 10:57 PM
Might sound like a newby because I am but NADS I'm guessing is the egr block off?
I have done all that well I bought it with that done

megatexture
12th January 2014, 11:00 PM
What ECM/Chip did you purchase, did you do any dyno before/after to see actual results? I will dyno a before and after but still new wagon (only 3,000km on her so far)....

If you go a plug and play unit like a steinbauer chip it takes 15 mins to remove it and nissan are none the wiser when you get a service done.

ThomasWatson
12th January 2014, 11:08 PM
I want to find out what the nads is as I have only just bought my rig and I want it to last

megatexture
12th January 2014, 11:28 PM
Block egr, Dawes and needle valve and catch can is the basics and regularly clean your maf sensor, there are lots of threads about it you just have to look ill post up a link later if you like.

ThomasWatson
12th January 2014, 11:54 PM
i just read snickos write up about it but i am an apprentice motor mechanic so will tackle myself with my dads help as he is qualified

ThomasWatson
12th January 2014, 11:54 PM
how to do it all would be great though

megatexture
13th January 2014, 12:10 AM
There is a reference document that's a good read
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?89-Nissan-Patrol-Reference-Document.

threedogs
13th January 2014, 08:08 AM
All these differing opinions, just read what Chaz Yellowfoot [Google] has to say about the ZD30 engine or RUMJAS
could put you on the right path, but first get the NADS in place

ThomasWatson
13th January 2014, 08:40 AM
Thanks TD I was a bit skeptical buying a ZD but with all you guys having the same I can sit back a little and relax lol

threedogs
13th January 2014, 08:50 AM
They are just high maintenance, get yourself some MAF cleaner
from super cheap and keep it in the Patrol and the correct torx tool to remove it,
I've just ticked over 200,000Ks with no major problems other than a broken alternator

ThomasWatson
13th January 2014, 09:21 AM
Mine has 322000 on the clock but just run into a wierd issue the engine light came on and now on initial take off had to press the accelerator twice

ThomasWatson
13th January 2014, 09:22 AM
My dad said it's more than likely O2 sensor or tps

threedogs
13th January 2014, 09:26 AM
Sounds a bit like over boosting or limp mode needing to press the pedal twice.
Disconnect the battery for 1/2 hr or so, It will do it again until you can control the boost
as in manual boost comtroller

BigRAWesty
13th January 2014, 10:54 AM
Search NADS are start spending..

ThomasWatson
13th January 2014, 01:22 PM
Manual boost controller = Dawes and Needle Valve?

threedogs
13th January 2014, 01:23 PM
engine light might also mean blocked fuel filter

ThomasWatson
13th January 2014, 01:49 PM
engine light might also mean blocked fuel filter

I changed the fuel filter and primer pump last month

oddkid82
13th January 2014, 02:04 PM
I changed the fuel filter and primer pump last month

What fuel filter did you use?
I used a repco brand one and the patrol didn't like it, engine light came on. Changed it over for a genuine one and no problems.

threedogs
13th January 2014, 02:27 PM
yeah manual boost controller is a Dawes Valve

ThomasWatson
13th January 2014, 08:49 PM
I bought a Dawes valve today egr was already fitted, how do you guys tap into the boost hose the black metal one?

ThomasWatson
13th January 2014, 08:51 PM
And where can I buy a needle valve in the Campbeltown area?

MEGOMONSTER
20th January 2014, 10:30 PM
Check for compression loss

Seriously mate stop posting up BS.
There's a right way and a wrong way to get a manual, and your definitely going about the wrong way.
The moderators will most likely ban you and you wont get your manuals then.

NissanGQ4.2
20th January 2014, 10:34 PM
Seriously mate stop posting up BS.
There's a right way and a wrong way to get a manual, and your definitely going about the wrong way.
The moderators will most likely ban you and you wont get your manuals then.

Certainly is a right and wrong way and he is already on the ban list. But I'm sure he won't read this as he is already posting crap in another thread

MEGOMONSTER
20th January 2014, 10:35 PM
Certainly is a right and wrong way and he is already on the ban list. But I'm sure he won't read this as he is already posting crap in another thread

thanks Todd.

ThomasWatson
20th January 2014, 11:06 PM
That wasn't aimed at me was it?

mudski
20th January 2014, 11:09 PM

The only way is more fuel and more air by more efficient intercooling not higher boost.
Indeed NADS and Dawes valve etc is to limit boost and usually at a lower pressure than what you have now.

Other alternative is to just accept the vehicle for what it is and enjoy it. They go more than OK stock off road, aren't a sprint car on road and when towing can't pull the skin off custard at RPM below 2200

I'd really like to know what the limit is for these donks. I run mine at 20psi and just did an hour hour run towing a 1.4T trailer with thew boost at full prolly 60% of the trip. Ran like a dream apart from the hills where I could have gotten out and pushed. Lol
I did set it to 25psi just to see, still no limp mode and jesus! It really went but was to worried to leave it. Once my TD42 build is ready to drop in I might screw it up just to see what goes bang first as I won't be able to sell the engine for anything so I might aswell do some r & d with it.

Drewboyaus
20th January 2014, 11:13 PM

No mate.
Someone else spamming for a manual who has had their posts deleted.

mudski
20th January 2014, 11:13 PM
I bought a Dawes valve today egr was already fitted, how do you guys tap into the boost hose the black metal one?

TW, there is multiple ways mate. I used what is called a bulkhead fitting, do a google image search to see what it is. But I welded mine in for a better seal. Or you can use a purpose made weldable fitting, that I happen to sell lol, which is made for both pyro fittings and boost fittings.
Either way it good though. just weld it in though if you use the bulkhead fittings. They seal a lot better that way.

Avo
20th January 2014, 11:14 PM

nah mate doesn't look like it your still here.....

Drewboyaus
20th January 2014, 11:15 PM
I'd really like to know what the limit is for these donks. I run mine at 20psi and just did an hour hour run towing a 1.4T trailer with thew boost at full prolly 60% of the trip. Ran like a dream apart from the hills where I could have gotten out and pushed. Lol
I did set it to 25psi just to see, still no limp mode and jesus! It really went but was to worried to leave it. Once my TD42 build is ready to drop in I might screw it up just to see what goes bang first as I won't be able to sell the engine for anything so I might aswell do some r & d with it.

Didn't know you were building a TD42 mate.

happygu
20th January 2014, 11:15 PM

Thomas, No you are fine .....

How is it all going?

I would bite the bullet and spend the money on a decent chip to improve your off idle torque. That is what I did with my early 3 Litre Di's and it made huge difference.

Mic

ThomasWatson
20th January 2014, 11:58 PM
Thomas, No you are fine .....

How is it all going?

I would bite the bullet and spend the money on a decent chip to improve your off idle torque. That is what I did with my early 3 Litre Di's and it made huge difference.

Mic

I have the car I wanted just the engine in it sucks majorly lol I will be buying a chip in near future just don't know which one is best, what brand did you use?

the evil twin
21st January 2014, 12:12 AM

Holy Cow 35 to 40 PSIA (or MAP if anyone prefers) into a ZD30 is 650 to 700 PSI on compression.

No wonder she pulled like a teenager, I would have bet a 6 pack she would have let go before the hour... guess I was wrong... yet again :1087::smileyvault-cute-bi

ThomasWatson
21st January 2014, 12:35 AM

Mudski what needs to be done to fit a td42 to these big beasts is there much to be changed over

ECU?
Wiring harness ?

What else

mudski
21st January 2014, 12:41 PM
Mudski what needs to be done to fit a td42 to these big beasts is there much to be changed over

ECU?
Wiring harness ?

What else

Also radiator, a/c pump, alternator, pwr steering, pretty much everything that attaches to the engine. Engine mount brackets need to be cut off and new ones relocated and welded on. Bell housing, clutch, flywheel, air box, new wiring loom. Im sure there's more as I am only just starting with mine. This will be a long term project for me as my ZD30 is still going strong plus I have a 5spd box I am building up as well so they can go in together.
So as I get further along I will be scratching a few members brains for info.

ThomasWatson
21st January 2014, 01:00 PM
Also radiator, a/c pump, alternator, pwr steering, pretty much everything that attaches to the engine. Engine mount brackets need to be cut off and new ones relocated and welded on. Bell housing, clutch, flywheel, air box, new wiring loom. Im sure there's more as I am only just starting with mine. This will be a long term project for me as my ZD30 is still going strong plus I have a 5spd box I am building up as well so they can go in together.
So as I get further along I will be scratching a few members brains for info.

Exactly what I want to do and throw in an auto maybe to get the power down as my left leg cramps

threedogs
21st January 2014, 04:21 PM
@ Thomas that's why I brought an auto as the nerve to my leg would pinch at any time and engage the clutch
very dangerous, but had my last 4x4 for over 400k so over a manual 4x4 big time, as for motor not sure what I would put in
Turbo diesel not ideal as an off roaded,need to be on boost all the time,, maybe the Infinity motor// who knows what will
be available when the time comes. But updating to a CR makes sense as a lot of my accessories will fit

NissanGQ4.2
21st January 2014, 05:21 PM

No sorry it wasn't aimed at you, someone was after the manuals so posted some crap in your thread which was deleted before you had seen it. But our comments 2 him are still in your thread

No mate.
Someone else spamming for a manual who has had their posts deleted.

Thanks Drew :)

mudski
21st January 2014, 05:26 PM
Turbo diesel not ideal as an off roaded,need to be on boost all the time,

John you need to slow down on those meds mate.

Drewboyaus
21st January 2014, 05:52 PM
John you need to slow down on those meds mate.

He does make some sense in that if you don't need the economy (for touring and distance), something like an LS1, bang for buck can be more responsive. I guess why many comp guys run V8's and turbo'd TB's......
Not saying a TD isn't better in the majority of applications though.

threedogs
21st January 2014, 05:56 PM
Turbo diesel is not ideal for off road work , perfect for towing.
what do you think the top comp trucks have its not a turbo diesel that's for sure.
trying to keep them on boost all the time.
My last 4x4 will go up hills @ 1000RMP tell me your TD will do that

Ben-e-boy
21st January 2014, 06:31 PM
what do you think the top comp trucks have its not a turbo diesel that's for sure.

Mine will and does everytime I go offroad, it always has, with the old turbo and before the crawler gears went in. An NA td42 will pull from 600rpm...... mine starts boosting at 1100 rpm 30psi at just under 2000rpm.

Ben-e-boy
21st January 2014, 06:40 PM
A good upgrade would be a more efficient turbo and intercooler, you could also get the die grinder out and match port the manifolds and flange on the turbine housing

threedogs
21st January 2014, 06:43 PM
Talking joe blow yes crawler gears will help heaps as would any highly modified rig
but getting away from OP .

Ben-e-boy
21st January 2014, 06:50 PM
A td42 will maintain its ability to pull from from around idle turbo or not.

happygu
21st January 2014, 07:37 PM
I have the car I wanted just the engine in it sucks majorly lol I will be buying a chip in near future just don't know which one is best, what brand did you use?

Thomas,

I used to have the Dtronic Chip, and mine was great.... only available second hand now.

I would look at Chip-It, Diesel Smart or Steinbeuer .... there was a chip comparison done somewhere which lists the benefits and modes of operstion for each of the major chips

Mic

ThomasWatson
21st January 2014, 07:38 PM
I want the distance and torque of a diesel with the capabilities of towing and going off road but as many of us have the ZD's they aren't good on torque

happygu
21st January 2014, 07:54 PM
I want the distance and torque of a diesel with the capabilities of towing and going off road but as many of us have the ZD's they aren't good on torque

They arent that bad on torque....just missing a little down low, and a chip really does wonders for this....

Ben-e-boy
21st January 2014, 08:04 PM
A good upgrade would be a more efficient turbo and intercooler, you could also get the die grinder out and match port the manifolds and flange on the turbine housing

What I mentioned would be good, you could also get some head work

ThomasWatson
21st January 2014, 08:04 PM
They arent that bad on torque....just missing a little down low, and a chip really does wonders for this....

What chip do you recommend to fit?

ThomasWatson
21st January 2014, 08:05 PM
What I mentioned would be good

Will look into that ben i have to get a VNT turbo though yeah?

ThomasWatson
21st January 2014, 08:08 PM
What I mentioned would be good, you could also get some head work

What turbo would fit on my ZD?

Ben-e-boy
21st January 2014, 08:47 PM
What turbo would fit on my ZD?

Dunno to be honest might have to talk to someone MTQ,

Mud Gecko
21st January 2014, 10:17 PM
Gturbo do a bolt on upgrade turbo for Di and CRD.

http://gturbo.com.au/

mudski
22nd January 2014, 12:01 AM

Sorry John but I strongly disagree with that, your in low range and even the ZD30's have more than enough torque with out stepping on the pedal for boost, but I'm on holidays and too pissed to care atm.

mudski
22nd January 2014, 12:10 AM
Didn't know you were building a TD42 mate.

Yeah just in the very early stages mate. Its a long term build....

Holy Cow 35 to 40 PSIA (or MAP if anyone prefers) into a ZD30 is 650 to 700 PSI on compression.

No wonder she pulled like a teenager, I would have bet a 6 pack she would have let go before the hour... guess I was wrong... yet again :1087::smileyvault-cute-bi

Sorry ET, I just read my OP. Was a bit drunk last night, it was an eight hour trip I did with the trailer. From Melbourne to Merimbula. South coast of NSW.

ThomasWatson
22nd January 2014, 12:30 AM
Gturbo do a bolt on upgrade turbo for Di and CRD.

http://gturbo.com.au/

Thanks MG I have sent off an enquiry to them

Lozwestoz
30th January 2014, 06:57 PM
Hi TW,

I would echo what some others have already said and from my own experience I would suggest a good chip, a 3" exhaust, an EGT monitor and a Dawes valve is all you will need to get a reliable, better performing vehicle that you can enjoy for years. There are heaps of extra mods that can be done but - how deep is your (or my) wallet? This is plenty and relatively inexpensive (for the results anyway).

Chip-It are an excellent product - possibly the least expensive of all the chips and a good company to deal with. You get the USB with all the tune-ups on it so you can bung it on the lappy and adjust as you wish and for whatever application - mine has 17 different tunes from factory to full comp - I run it on a 4 for around home and put it to a 7 or 8 when hooking up the camper and heading off - lift it up to an 11 if towing and hit strong headwinds or mountains - only takes about 3 minutes to set up the lappy and do the adjustments. Much improved performance and better economy at the same time - cant get better than that!
Plus I can leave it on and working when I get services done and that is at Nissan so no dramas there either.
They are about $1100 to $1300 which is far better than almost all others.

Manta make a great 3" exhaust system for the 3.0 - mine is turbo-back as I got rid of the cat, so quicker response and low-down torque is a heap better - probably about $1150 fitted.

The EGT gauge and Dawes valve you can fit at home and they will be a big help in keeping an eye in all things that make us nervous - if you want to get someone else to do the work then the EGT can range from $250 to $500 supplied and fitted, the Dawes Valve should cost under $200 supplied and fitted.

Hope this helps (and no, I am not affiliated with any of the products, they just work and I am happy with them).

Good luck Thomas, and have fun in the Patrol no matter what.

ThomasWatson
31st January 2014, 03:05 PM
Hi TW,

I would echo what some others have already said and from my own experience I would suggest a good chip, a 3" exhaust, an EGT monitor and a Dawes valve is all you will need to get a reliable, better performing vehicle that you can enjoy for years. There are heaps of extra mods that can be done but - how deep is your (or my) wallet? This is plenty and relatively inexpensive (for the results anyway).

Chip-It are an excellent product - possibly the least expensive of all the chips and a good company to deal with. You get the USB with all the tune-ups on it so you can bung it on the lappy and adjust as you wish and for whatever application - mine has 17 different tunes from factory to full comp - I run it on a 4 for around home and put it to a 7 or 8 when hooking up the camper and heading off - lift it up to an 11 if towing and hit strong headwinds or mountains - only takes about 3 minutes to set up the lappy and do the adjustments. Much improved performance and better economy at the same time - cant get better than that!
Plus I can leave it on and working when I get services done and that is at Nissan so no dramas there either.
They are about $1100 to $1300 which is far better than almost all others.

Manta make a great 3" exhaust system for the 3.0 - mine is turbo-back as I got rid of the cat, so quicker response and low-down torque is a heap better - probably about $1150 fitted.

The EGT gauge and Dawes valve you can fit at home and they will be a big help in keeping an eye in all things that make us nervous - if you want to get someone else to do the work then the EGT can range from $250 to $500 supplied and fitted, the Dawes Valve should cost under $200 supplied and fitted.

Hope this helps (and no, I am not affiliated with any of the products, they just work and I am happy with them).

Good luck Thomas, and have fun in the Patrol no matter what.

Thanks Loz,

I have the following already installed
-egr block
-Dawes and needle valve
-boost gauge

Next on my list is a egt gauge and a chip

threedogs
31st January 2014, 03:43 PM
to get the best from your chip it should be done in conjunction with the exhaust.

ThomasWatson
31st January 2014, 03:45 PM
Maybe I might lift it first then and save more afterwards

threedogs
31st January 2014, 04:26 PM
put everything on before fitting your springs , winch, dual batteries extra fuel and storage boxes all adds up to weight,
which will need to be taken into account when selecting the right set up for you.
You could do what big fletch did and fit a 2" flexi coils with 4" over shocks.
only heard good things about the flexi coils