PDA

View Full Version : GU Aircon fan switch fault

Graymare
8th January 2014, 08:37 PM
The fan for my aircon stopped working on the 1 setting a few weeks ago and now will only work on setting 4. Can anyone advise if this is likely to be a faulty switch or something else. If it is a switch, where to get one and are they difficult to change?

the evil twin
8th January 2014, 08:39 PM
99% chance it is the ballast resistor pack for the fan motor cobber and not the switch

Hodge
8th January 2014, 08:42 PM
100% the resistor is gone. On setting 4 the resistor is by-passed so it's as if it isn't there. Cheap part, but a PITA to replace.
Good luck. BY the way welcome to the forum!

Graymare
8th January 2014, 09:13 PM
Thanks for responses guys. Does this mean removing the Fan Motor? Any clues on this? Or do I need to take this to an auto electrician?

happygu
8th January 2014, 09:49 PM
Here you go Graymare....

http://www.patrolapart.com.au/product/switches-sensors/nissan-patrol-gu-heater-fan-2

The page tells you where to find it too....

Mic

Graymare
8th January 2014, 11:15 PM
Thanks mate, really appreciate your help.

Yendor
9th January 2014, 12:01 AM
The fan resistor sits behind the glove box next to the interior fan motor

It is the brown plug bottom right of photo. You can remove it with out removing the glovebox but it much easier with the glovebox removed and it's only 6 screws to get the glovebox out.

It would also be a good idea to remove the interior fan motor (black cylinder in centre of photo) and make sure the fan spins freely by hand. If it doesn't this can cause the resistor to burn out.

Also the resistor need to be cooled by air from the interior fan motor so don't plug the new one in without it being screwed back into the housing.

Graymare
17th January 2014, 03:43 PM
Well done guys. I got the part through Patrolapart for $30 and fitted it in 10 mins and it all works well. Thanks for your advice, hope I can return the favour sometime.

Roman
25th March 2019, 01:07 PM
hi Graymare,

I have the same problem. what is the part that you had to purchase? would you have a part number? i know this is 5 years since your post lol.

Grant209
25th January 2020, 10:23 AM
My Fan Speed Resistor Pack went on me a week or so ago.

New eBay Ballast Resistor Pack arrived today, and in true eBay fashion only the 4th Speed Setting only working.

Read here on the forum about another member bridging the burnt out resistor on the circuit board, so thought what the hell . . . out with the solder iron and the temporary Mod to Original Resistor Pack . . . a small wire bridge where the blown resistor was . . . simple . . . and now all four speed settings working.

I've ordered another Resistor Pack, so the temporary fix should hopefully do the the job till the other Resistor Pack arrives.79993