PDA

View Full Version : chip and exhaust gu iv 3.0lt

ScottHorwood
7th January 2014, 11:13 PM
Has anyone fitted a chip and exhaust package to their 3.0lt patrol. If so what package did you go with and what results are you getting.

Cheers
Scott

MEGOMONSTER
8th January 2014, 12:47 AM
Has anyone fitted a chip and exhaust package to their 3.0lt patrol. If so what package did you go with and what results are you getting.

Cheers
Scott

I went Taipan 3" zorst with a DPChip.
Definitely had better fuel economy over standard and definitely had better power outputs.
Off the line it feels like nothing has change, it's still a 4 cylinder pulling a 3 tonne car.
But at speed, overtaking is a breeze.
Much better when towing too.
It goes like a go kart now. A real heavy one.
To be honest I was quite disappointed when I drove out the shop but it wasn't till I drive it for a while when I could notice the difference in performance and the economy I noted for about 20 tank loads.
5 tanks before.
5 tanks with chip on 7
5 tanks with chip on 5
5 tanks with chip on 3 being the best fuel economy with a little performance lift.
Normally I just drive it on 5.
But I decided to go up to 7 for that extra kick. Fuel economy is around
13.5-13.8L/100 at the moment driving conservatively. A little more when zipping around.
Definitely drinks more under towing conditions.

MEGOMONSTER
8th January 2014, 12:53 AM
Plus EGR blocked and K&N air filter change.
Then I needed bucket seat from the speed I was now getting. Lol

threedogs
8th January 2014, 06:39 AM
Much the same as Mego except the seats lol. I have 3" exhaust from the turbo back and a DP chip. Normally I have the chip on 5,
but just recently turned it up to 8, great power for overtaking at HWY speeds, Towing I get 15/100 and around town !3/100 Ks.

Bloodyaussie
8th January 2014, 07:37 AM
Plus EGR blocked and K&N air filter change.
Then I needed bucket seat from the speed I was now getting. Lol

Thats it Mick I am going to get my step ladder for sure now and punch you in the neck.......... bloody seats!!!!!!

BillsGU
8th January 2014, 08:29 AM
Best thing I ever did. 3 inch from turbo back with a Steinbaur chip. Filled up yesterday and it took 65 litres for 550 ks. You do the sums - but it is great economy. Also I tow a two ton off road caravan and the Patrol now tows it with ease. Economy drops to between 5 and 6 litres per km, depending on terrain and wind.

Its not a racing car but the Patrol drives so much better, both around town and on the highway.

Apart from that, my EGTs are a lot lower so I am more confident in the longevity of the engine.

Its not a cheap exercise - but well worth it.

ScottHorwood
9th January 2014, 08:10 PM
thanks for the feed back guys ill keep you posted on what system I choose. Currently looking at roosystems chip and exhaust.
cheers

happygu
9th January 2014, 08:29 PM
Hi Scott,

All my Patrols have run 33" tyres

On my previous Di Patrols I ran just a Dtronic Chip only, which added a small but noticeable improvement right through the Rev Range.

On my previous CRD, I did nothing and was fairly happy, but it was at a stage where I was doing a lot of road commuting for my job, and I was patiently waiting for Dtronic to get their act into gear.

On my current CRD, I have done the Beaudesert 2.75" exhaust, and am yet to put on a chip, but am heading towards a UniChip for its tuning flexibility.

I have looked at all the chips available, and tried to make up my own mind with an open mind to all the possibilities. After all the considerations, it has come down to this ... the chips that have been recommended to me, by experts with no affiliation to their own brand, are ChipIt and UniChip..... so I am the most keen on these.

The main reason for me to go the exhaust first was to lower combustion temps as I was doing a double Simpson Crossing, and to keep them in check so that the exhaust manifold and EGR hang together for longer.....

Mic