PDA

View Full Version : TD42 engine failure at hight rpm

didak
7th January 2014, 04:09 AM
Hello all!!

This weekend I test my GQ on his first trip... All perfect excep for a engine fail at hight rpm.

I will tray to explain, maybe somebody can help me:

The engine run perfect on normal driving. But when I pull full throtle on second gear to 3600 rpm (no fails) and then I put third gear and pull full throtle , at 3000 rpm begin to fail the engine.. as it not get diesel enought.

Only this occurs after full throtle on second gear until hight rpm and the put third gear. If I test only full throtle on third gear, no fails...

Do you think is posible I have air on the fuel system?? A litle air leak into fuel system or fuel lines??

If was a diesel pump or injectors problem, I should have the fail every time, right?? Not only sometimes, right??

Another info, if I check the purge on the fuel filter, it is soft the first 3 o 4 press...

If I have air leak on fuel lines, is this engine fail the syntom??

Has anyone had this problem??

Thank you in advance.. and sorry for my English.. :)

didak
7th January 2014, 04:34 AM
more info:

usually my engine starts super fast. But sometimes takes 4 or 5 seconds to start on cold... (I live in tropical weather, cold I mean in the mornig, or few days without use the car).

And yesterday I saw the tubs on the diesel tank are wet. I have 2" bodylift, is easy to see, I will take some pics.

BigRAWesty
7th January 2014, 06:11 AM
Your theory On the air leak sounds like a good place to start.
Our TD engines have a mechanical fuel pump on the motor so it's sucking fuel from the tank.
The pump supplies more Fuel than what's needed, thus the return lines so a small air bubble in the mix won't affect it.
But it is an odd fault.
Also I thought your English was pretty good.

GU 2
7th January 2014, 09:07 AM
What about blockage to the fuel filter, this will cause a fuel starving effect at high revs.

nissannewby
7th January 2014, 10:58 AM
Also there can be a small gauze filter on the inlet of the injector pump, this can clog easily and cause similar problems.

didak
7th January 2014, 04:15 PM
Thank you for your answer mates!!

The fuel filter is Brand new and OEM, and I still have the problem.

I will check the fuel lines, for posible air leaks.

GU 2, where is this second gauze filter?? I didn't know about that, and never check it...

Stropp
7th January 2014, 05:34 PM
on the inlet side of the pump, take off the banjo fitting and the gauze is in there, needs to be removed with a thin pick or tweezwers.

didak
9th January 2014, 08:13 AM
Thank you very much.. I will check it :)

Avo
28th April 2014, 01:32 PM
hey guys looking for this gause filter on injector pump,pulled off banjo fitting and all I found is a spring?am I correct in thinking this one doesn't have it,it's my work ute.GQ 4.2 d

Avo
28th April 2014, 01:33 PM
Also I am trying to solve a missing problem.As soon as I hit huigh rpm(2200)-and over it starts spluttering or missing and the vehicle blows nice black smoke.

nissannewby
28th April 2014, 03:50 PM
hey guys looking for this gause filter on injector pump,pulled off banjo fitting and all I found is a spring?am I correct in thinking this one doesn't have it,it's my work ute.GQ 4.2 d

It should be under that spring mate. If the filter isn't there then the spring shouldn't be either. It is quite small and down a little way.

Avo
28th April 2014, 08:29 PM
Thanks mate,found it cleaned it out and put it back in,alls good and boss is happy.ute revs well up to 3000rpm no probs now.he rung a fuel injection place before I had a go and did a bit of a search and it looks like I just saved us a bit of coin.