PDA

View Full Version : Mq td 4.2 conversion

Bulldozen
6th January 2014, 06:22 PM
Hey I stacked my gq great fully the motor and gearbox survived I've started converting it all into a old mq ute I had sitting around I've centred and mounted the motor and gearbox and have modified diffs to fitt problem is that the mq was 24v and the td42 is 12v any one that could tell me how to wire it up?? As far as I can tell if I hook glow plugs up to a manual switch/button get power to injector pump and starter motor it should be a goer correct?? And help much appreciated.

AB
6th January 2014, 06:53 PM
Hopefully yendor or ET see this to help you out with the electronics but...

If money permits being a td42 I would be finding a gq tb42 cheap for the transplant mate.

A lot more benefits with the body, drivetrain etc.

GQ TANK
6th January 2014, 08:23 PM
I would convert the MQ to 12 volt.

The td has a 12 volt internal regulated alternator.

You will need to change the dash, lights, remove the external 24 volt regulator etc.

I didn't think a gq donk and box would go into a MQ due to diff offsets etc

Bulldozen
6th January 2014, 10:31 PM
Yeah it was a mission putting it in there I've put basically all the running gear into it just need to get it fired up, I was thinking if I could put mq 12v wiring through the cab that would sort out the alt and starter motor issues because I would only be running the one battery is it as simple as manual glowing button and running power to the injector pump??

Bulldozen
6th January 2014, 10:41 PM
Hopefully yendor or ET see this to help you out with the electronics but...

If money permits being a td42 I would be finding a gq tb42 cheap for the transplant mate.

A lot more benefits with the body, drivetrain etc.

Is there any way you could ask those guys to post on here??

MudRunnerTD
6th January 2014, 11:16 PM
Hey Bud,

Welcome to the forum mate, plenty to learn here and lots of answers available. We generally ask new members to head over to the Introduction section and post an a intro thread mate. It's nice to say Gday mate.

Post an intro thread mate, some of the guys will be far more inclined to respond to your questions after a little curtesy.

Cheers MR

Yendor
6th January 2014, 11:56 PM
Yes you'll need an ignition feed to the pump.

A momentary push button switch and a relay for the glow plugs.

Connect the starter motor and earths to engine and body.

You will also need a warning light for the alternator and main positive cable to alternator.

Is this vehicle for road use or farm use? do you need everything electrical to work?

I would change the MQ over to 12 volts. This way you can use the 12 volt starter motor, alternator, injector pump solenoid and glow plugs from the GQ.

You don't need to change the wire harness, the old MQ harness will work fine on 12 volts. You will need to change over all bulbs in the vehicle.

You will need to change over the wiper motor to a 12 volt one, if it's needed.

I have a feeling the gauges are already 12 volt in the MQ , you'll just need to bypass the dropping resistor. If you want the gauges to work I will have to look into this for you.

Bulldozen
7th January 2014, 08:23 PM
Could you give me more details on the alt wiring?? And ignition to pump meaning wire it so that has power when I turn the key to ignition? Thanks for the post aswell

Yendor
7th January 2014, 10:28 PM
Could you give me more details on the alt wiring?? And ignition to pump meaning wire it so that has power when I turn the key to ignition? Thanks for the post aswell

Yes is has power when the ignition is turned on

The GQ alternator has 3 electrical connections

B+.......10mm nut
S - battery sensor (2 pin plug)
L - warning light (2 pin plug)

Run some 8B&S cable from the B+ terminal of the alternator to the battery in conduit. You will also need an 80amp fuse. Mount this as close as possible to the battery's positive post, connect the cable from the alternator to one side of the 80amp fuse and the other side of the fuse to the positive battery post.

The S terminal at the alternator can be connected to the B+ terminal at the alternator. Make up a short lead and connect the S to the B+. This can be light gauge wire such as 3mm.

The L terminal needs to be connected to a warning light in the dash.

Bulldozen
7th January 2014, 11:17 PM
That's awesome thank you mr yendor. Another question in a factory gq td42 lets say the cars running when you turn the ignition to off what makes the motor stop is it the power cutting off from the injector pump?

Yendor
7th January 2014, 11:39 PM
That's awesome thank you mr yendor. Another question in a factory gq td42 lets say the cars running when you turn the ignition to off what makes the motor stop is it the power cutting off from the injector pump?

Yes that is correct.

Bulldozen
9th January 2014, 12:29 AM
Awesome. If anyone ever decides to do this conversion and wants advice and or photos let me know happy to help.