PDA

View Full Version : Sydney to kalgoorlie

statok
6th January 2014, 04:04 PM
Hey has anyone done the trip from Sydney to kalgoorlie?

Im doing the trip on monday, Never done it before and tips or things to watch out for?

Where did people stop for the night?

Cheers

Avo
6th January 2014, 09:54 PM
Firm351 has a trip ,log in the WA section of treks and trips covering part of your journey,think he's still driving around over that way somewhere
hope that helps.
here ya go mate tracked it down for ya to read.. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?25019-Firmy-s-big-trip.

the evil twin
6th January 2014, 10:53 PM
Just got back to Perth a couple of months ago from a visit to Ballina.
I swagged it going over but stopped for a shower and a kip at Border village for the night coming back 'cause it was raining heaps.
I used to go through Hay years ago but went through Broken Hill this time, doesn't really matter, roads are pretty good overall.
Fuel prices at Ceduna and Norseman is quite reasonable and as I have a long range tank I didn't need fuel in between them.
Yes, fuel is expensive in between but I don't know that it is worth carrying any Jerry's. Just do a splash and dash if you need to but up to you.
There wasn't many critters to dodge after getting out of the timbered country and I prefer driving at night so I usually tuck in behind a road train across the western SA and the Nullarbor and sit on 100.
I always ask if it is OK on the CB and then shut up, some truckies like a chat but the majority just get in the groove and drive and natter on the CB gives 'em the shytes
It can be a loooong trip on your own if you aren't used to big K's. If you have someone with you it helps
Some of the lookouts over the Southern Ocean are awesome so if it is daytime during that part of your trip its worth 10 minutes for a look and some pics
There heaps of rest spots along the way for a combat nap or an overnight stop if you wish. Some are quite flash some have bugger all.
Take plenty of water or drinks unless you want to spend up at the Roadhouses
Take the obvious spares and a few tools goes without saying.
Enjoy the trip, its pretty safe these days but still ranks as an adventure

Stropp
7th January 2014, 12:43 AM
Try to avoid nullabor and Madura pass for fuel, as ET says ceduna and Norseman but if you need to fuel in between border village was best priced last time I went thru.

statok
8th January 2014, 09:44 AM
Thanks fellas. Yeh heard about getting fuel at ceduna. There is 5 of us in 1 patrol so we are just going to switch drivers to get there asap. But on the way back we are going to stop and look at the sights.
I am pritty excited. My wife and I have wanted to do this trip for a few years now. I dont think ill be doing any off road stuff whilst im heading there or back. I have just bought myself a set of285 75 16 all terrain tyres and have taken the mtz's off for this trip.

Really appreciate the advise

the evil twin
8th January 2014, 07:53 PM
Thanks fellas. Yeh heard about getting fuel at ceduna. There is 5 of us in 1 patrol so we are just going to switch drivers to get there asap. But on the way back we are going to stop and look at the sights.
I am pritty excited. My wife and I have wanted to do this trip for a few years now. I dont think ill be doing any off road stuff whilst im heading there or back. I have just bought myself a set of285 75 16 all terrain tyres and have taken the mtz's off for this trip.

Really appreciate the advise

No worries... just a suggestion... do lots of seating swaps. It's amazing how early onset the cases of "Tractor Arrse" happen esp in the back seat