PDA

View Full Version : MDC Camper Trailer

Tonks
5th January 2014, 05:26 PM
Thinking of buying an Offroad TBox V3, has anyone had any experience with them,
Cheers Tonks

mudski
13th January 2014, 10:40 PM
Hey mate I have the Step Through V3. If I was given a second chance to buy this or any MDC product again? Hell no!
This is the first time I have openly spoken about this camper I only purchased late last year. I'm quite embarrassed to tell you the truth but people need to know. i looked at so many campers before I went out and bought this one and I though I was on a good one. But you know what start the alarm bells ringing? Was too late by then anyhow as we had paid for it, the guy at MDC told me Roothy has got his tockley dangling in the chaff bag too now with MDC. I should have cancelled my cheque there and then and walked out.
I'll give you a list of issues I have found...

Tested the kitchen sink pump out two days before we went camping, water pissed out through the barb fitting on the tap. Went to tighten it up and the barb fitting snapped off. The hose used was too big for the barb and would tighten up. fixed it myself...
small side skirts I supposed you'd call them with led side lights on them were all loose, seems that they can't even use a rivet gun properly. Even though it seems half the trailer is held together from them. Fixed it myself...
Having a gas bottle holder in one of the side cupboards, when you already have two others!!! Not an error but a useless waster of space...
The gas bottle holders only sort of held in by two 6mm bolts and the bolts weren't even long enough to catch on the nyloc section on the nut!!!! WTF!!! Removed gas bottle holder...
All the fittings to the water tank under the trailer are made from plastic!!!! Again. WTF! One hit from even a small stone and they will snap of and there goes your water.
The holes cut in the paneling for the water hoses to go through don't even have a rubber grommet around them to stop the sharp metal edge of the holes cutting through the hose. Again. WTF!!!
The holes cut in the paneling for the electrical cables to go through don't even have a rubber grommet around them to stop the sharp metal edge of the holes cutting through the cables. Again. WTF!!!
Found numerous loose bolts on the trailer.
No pegs were supplied to hold the annex down. Only found this out once we got to camp. AT 8PM!!! I wasn't happy that evening...
Trailer wiring. Seriously MDC! Atleast use seven core wire to make it look half proffessional. Not 5 core plus a row of twin core next to it. I want to hook up some led reverse lights to the rear of the trailer. Think this should be an easy thing to do? Yes? Easy, find the black wire at the plug and then find it down the back at the lights. Well, the black wire is cut off at the plug and not even attached to the plug. Even if they don't use it, its there FFS! attach it! Then I head to the rear of the trailer, find the other end of the five core, and the black has magically turned to blue at this end!!! What happen MDC? You run out of cable half way through the job and used what ever you had?
There is some cover they have made up that go over the back of the lights to protect the wiring. There is two, twin core wires poking out of this cover going to the pump and a socket. BOTH are almost cut right through as the LAZY F%$Ks must have found it too hard to file out a small section of this cover so the wires don't get squashed.
The amount of advertising splashed all over the eff'ing thing is ridiculous. Remove all of it bar the largest piece on the rear of the cover. Thinking of changing the sign to POS campers!!!
The hold down latches on the lid for the trailer are not attached correctly so over adjusting of the latches is required to get it to pull down tight enough on the lid.
The battery box was going to be put in one of the side cupboards, on the side you have the annex on. I asked them to move it to the other side as the cupboard on the annex side will be handy to store items you need to grab whilst in the annex. The box was moved into the tool box on the front...:clapping:

If they actually assemble the trailers they import properly they might even be a half decent camper. Me? I'm stuck with mine now, so I am just making it better myself from here on, changing things as I see them fark up in front of me. I've only had it for less than two months, while it has done what we want it to do I am not real ecstatic about the workmanship. I'm sure I will find more issues as I go along, I'm just hoping that they will stop, eventually. I suppose its like when I first started to do stuff to my Patrol. I was cursing the old owners for all the crap they had done. As I am sure most of us have done. I still do actually...
I know the should haves and could haves, its all too late now, but we need a trailer large enough to store the 75L Combi Engel in the trailer. This trailer was the only one that could, in any brand, in our price range.
So thats ll the cons I have found so far. For the pro's...

Good size, I wanted a big trailer.
Fits our fridge in it.
Oodles of storage space.

I forgot to add another issue...

Finally went camping in it and the pump only lasted for around 20 minutes before it just stopped and made all sorts of noises. Once we got home I pulled the pump apart and found it full of black plastic shavings. I soon realised it was from the black plastic tank.Finally went camping in it and the pump only lasted for around 20 minutes before it just stopped and made all sorts of noises. Once we got home I pulled the pump apart and found it full of black plastic shavings. I soon realised it was from the black plastic tank, when the threaded holes get cut. The idiots didn't even bother to clean out the tank before plumbing it up.:animierte-smilies-f

megatexture
13th January 2014, 11:04 PM
Not good but at least you have the tools and the know how to notice/fix these issues.
imagine some of the less fortunate driving around Australia to find out they are with no water and no gas and wiring that's a time bomb waiting to catch fire!.
How are the welds over all ? and have you checked out the brakes? Did it come with brake pads? Lol

mudski
13th January 2014, 11:24 PM
Not good but at least you have the tools and the know how to notice/fix these issues.
imagine some of the less fortunate driving around Australia to find out they are with no water and no gas and wiring that's a time bomb waiting to catch fire!.
How are the welds over all ? and have you checked out the brakes? Did it come with brake pads? Lol
I have checked the welds, they actually look pretty good. Its all the bolt on bits that I'm not happy how they have done it. Not very well is how. As for the brakes, I am taking them off during the week to have a look at them as I am a bit sus that they are working. But my knowledge of elec brakes iv very limited.

megatexture
14th January 2014, 12:41 AM
Do you have a manual lock up on your controller ? Just adjust your controller to max and hit the manual knob/ lever and they should lock up and skid,when stationary if you hit your brakes and you can't hear a buzzing sound close to the brakes (two ppl job) there's a good chance they aren't working

mudski
14th January 2014, 01:12 AM
I'll get that a shot tomorrow. My controller has all the bells and whistles on it. I have set it too high TBH. I think I need to have a play around with it as last trip my car brakes were smelling a bit funky after coming off a long hill on the brakes. I touched the brakes on the trailer and they were just warm...

megatexture
14th January 2014, 01:58 AM
I have to adjust my brakes between on and off road or it will lock up on dirt and sand roads or be too soft on road and not contribute to the braking enough. Easy to change and I've marked the spots I like to make it easier.

megatexture
14th January 2014, 02:03 AM
Mdc are on truelocal web site so you could give them a nice review if you like .. But they can report the review to get it reviewed and removed . Just cut and paste lol

http://www.truelocal.com.au/business/market-direct-campers/acacia-ridge

Maxhead
14th January 2014, 07:47 AM
Also check your leaf springs regularly as they straighten out flat:(
If you have shocks, chuck them and put new ones in. Those are there for looks only

mudski
14th January 2014, 11:39 AM
Mdc are on truelocal web site so you could give them a nice review if you like .. But they can report the review to get it reviewed and removed . Just cut and paste lol

http://www.truelocal.com.au/business/market-direct-campers/acacia-ridge
I copied and pasted my review, with a little editing. Just waiting on the moderators to o.k my review. Don't like my chances.

TimE
14th January 2014, 12:03 PM
Sounds a bit like the GIC saga, promoted by Roothy and of similar quality to your experience with MDC.

mudski
14th January 2014, 12:28 PM
Sounds a bit like the GIC saga, promoted by Roothy and of similar quality to your experience with MDC.
The actual structural side of things to me look good. Its the way they went in adding all the "bolt on bits" to the trailer. We won't be doing any "off road" adventures in it. Too farkin heavy for that. Plus we have kids and the amount of crap they bring, plus the wife, amounts to as much as the trailer in weight...
When the kids don't want to go camping anymore or have moved out etc etc then I will get a real off road camper just for the two of us.

Warwick89
22nd January 2014, 06:42 PM
Yep have to agree, picked ours up just before Christmas after sitting in the waiting room (display model) for 2.5 hrs after we were told we could pick it up. Multiple issues straight away (ie. wrong poles, insufficient poles, broken drain on kitchen sink, missing drain hose, steps don't seal, pin hole in fridge compartment about 2mm diameter and the tent wasn't secured on trailer properly) just to name a few. While there have been a lot of hassles and the trailer still isn't fixed we took it on a 4 night camp trip and it is very comfortable and easy to use and tow. All in all shocking and I mean absolutely shocking quality standards apron collection they are all pretty easy fixes BUT after paying over 20k for a camper trailer I shouldn't be putting in a warranty claim less then a month after taking receipt.

MEGOMONSTER
25th January 2014, 02:17 PM
Yep have to agree, picked ours up just before Christmas after sitting in the waiting room (display model) for 2.5 hrs after we were told we could pick it up. Multiple issues straight away (ie. wrong poles, insufficient poles, broken drain on kitchen sink, missing drain hose, steps don't seal, pin hole in fridge compartment about 2mm diameter and the tent wasn't secured on trailer properly) just to name a few. While there have been a lot of hassles and the trailer still isn't fixed we took it on a 4 night camp trip and it is very comfortable and easy to use and tow. All in all shocking and I mean absolutely shocking quality standards apron collection they are all pretty easy fixes BUT after paying over 20k for a camper trailer I shouldn't be putting in a warranty claim less then a month after taking receipt.

Thanks for sharing.
That's a pretty long list of faults.
By the time they fix it all it will be well and truly second hand.
Push for a replacement unit maybe.
But we all know that'll never happen.

mudski
25th January 2014, 02:57 PM
Thanks for sharing.
That's a pretty long list of faults.
By the time they fix it all it will be well and truly second hand.
Push for a replacement unit maybe.
But we all know that'll never happen.

I'd rather push for a refund. But I have already fixed half the issues and will be modifying the others. After that and after if add a few things I will end up a much better camper.

threedogs
25th January 2014, 03:15 PM
Its still a trailer and a tent for what $20K get serious
Better off getting a Jayco dove and fitting 16" wheels to it
Then you have medium off road ability, cause its got be beat why you want to take a trailer 4x4ing
Plus a kitchen and plenty of beds etc for little ones

MudRunnerTD
25th January 2014, 03:22 PM
Its still a trailer and a tent for what $20K get serious
Better off getting a Jayco dove and fitting 16" wheels to it
Then you have medium off road ability, cause its got be beat why you want to take a trailer 4x4ing
Plus a kitchen and plenty of beds etc for little ones

It's interesting. I own a Tambo Camper and it's a good unit. Spent about $16k on it at the time and got it how I wanted it. I have added a heap of stuff to it too.

In hindsight a Jayco Outback would have been a much smarter buy. A little more out of pocket but you should not tow a camper across the likes of the Simpson and CSR anyway!

Go the Jayco Off-road for my money next time.

threedogs
25th January 2014, 03:27 PM
@ MR I would not want to burden other 4x4ers for my short comings on my camper if it failed where ever.
I would never tow to the Cape, CSR or the simmo. too much pressure on other users when it fails
Still RLMFAO $20k for a 6x4 trailer and a tent, there are good ones out there but for what they ask no way
Jayco Dove for me when the time comes

kevin07
25th January 2014, 03:38 PM
It's interesting. I own a Tambo Camper and it's a good unit. Spent about $16k on it at the time and got it how I wanted it. I have added a heap of stuff to it too.

In hindsight a Jayco Outback would have been a much smarter buy. A little more out of pocket but you should not tow a camper across the likes of the Simpson and CSR anyway!

Go the Jayco Off-road for my money next time.

jayco built down to a price

mudski
25th January 2014, 03:56 PM
Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it? Not point listening to the should haves, I will just make mine better, which im already doing. I will bother about a better camper just fir me and the missus when the kids get sick of it.

MudRunnerTD
25th January 2014, 04:03 PM
jayco built down to a price

yes i agree, i am a big bloke and lifted the seat cushions of the Jayco before i went eh camper trailer and thought id break them quickly. Look nice though and the convenience of the Jayco is very nice.

Your right Mudski, as long as the purchase price was in line with the product them make the changes. if you paid big bux then the quality should be there, its reasonable.

megatexture
25th January 2014, 07:12 PM
I copied and pasted my review, with a little editing. Just waiting on the moderators to o.k my review. Don't like my chances.

They may be in contact with you to verify your claims as they have to be carefully what they allow but fingers x

We have had two reviews on us removed as one was a competitor who gave us and another a bad review , the other was some moron commenting to get in a competition

mudski
25th January 2014, 10:49 PM
Well bugger me they posted my rant on True Local...

megatexture
25th January 2014, 10:55 PM
Well bugger me they posted my rant on True Local...

It's been put up and they will get a notification that a review has been posted and when they look at it and possibly report it it will be removed pending investigation and that's when they may contact you.. But that's only if they report it.

Steve4wdin
26th January 2014, 10:24 AM
I have been surprised by some of the comments in this thread about camper trailers. I have one, and love it. My wife loves it. They are not the convenience of a caravan but a lot easier to store when not in use. I would without hesitation take mine to the top end or across AU. I believe in the old adage, you get what you pay for, you pay what you can afford. I believe they all come with there problems, you either fix it yourself or put up with it.

megatexture
26th January 2014, 10:38 AM
Same here I've taken ours over some rough terrain in the past and wouldn't think twice about it ( not a mdc ).
it was a basic camper when we got it, and we have modified it to suit our needs

MudRunnerTD
26th January 2014, 10:54 AM
Yeah don't get me wrong my Tambo is built for the roughest terrain. That was the point. I have taken it across some very tough country and it past with flying colours. I would have no hesitation taking it to the tip.

Not long after buying the camper some really crappy club politics kinda wrecked that whole experience for me and I have not used it much since damn it. I had intended to get a mountain of use.

In saying that I have also set myself up for remote touring running light and would now choose to travel light into the hardest stuff with the OZ tent and avoid the duress on the equipment both vehicle and trailer. Hence doing the Simpson with the OzTent and the flinders with the trailer.

megatexture
26th January 2014, 11:00 AM
Yeah don't get me wrong my Tambo is built for the roughest terrain. That was the point. I have taken it across some very tough country and it past with flying colours. I would have no hesitation taking it to the tip.

Not long after buying the camper some really crappy club politics kinda wrecked that whole experience for me and I have not used it much since damn it. I had intended to get a mountain of use.

In saying that I have also set myself up for remote touring running light and would now choose to travel light into the hardest stuff with the OZ tent and avoid the duress on the equipment both vehicle and trailer. Hence doing the Simpson with the OzTent and the flinders with the trailer.

Have they banned use of them on club trips?

MudRunnerTD
26th January 2014, 11:07 AM
Have they banned use of them on club trips?

No they turned out to be pretty Average people! Sometimes true colours come shining through mate and they let you down.

People can be very disappointing sometimes. Shame.

threedogs
26th January 2014, 12:10 PM
3975339752I think the clubs ban them for insurance reasons and holding up other members if something goes wrong.
I've built my camper using the best quality gear available as in Orac off road greasable shackle leaf springs
I might fit shockers yet not sure. I also use an O'Brien off road coupling which I find easy to set up.
Cant see the chassis breaking as its 40x40x3 fully welded with a triple 100x50 draw bar 1800 long.
Tows great very stable, easy to set up etc. but I wouldn't take it across the Simmo just for somewhere to sleep for 3 days.
Nor would I take it to the Tip. Infact I'm just about to sell it as its overkill for be being solo all the time

liftlid
26th January 2014, 01:40 PM
I've got a hawk outback and it's a great camper, but I don't use it on outback trips as a camper would cramp my style.
Thus we have decided to sell it as all our trips are in a tent, much easier!

Warwick89
26th January 2014, 02:48 PM
I have been surprised by some of the comments in this thread about camper trailers. I have one, and love it. My wife loves it. They are not the convenience of a caravan but a lot easier to store when not in use. I would without hesitation take mine to the top end or across AU. I believe in the old adage, you get what you pay for, you pay what you can afford. I believe they all come with there problems, you either fix it yourself or put up with it.

I agree with you on everything you said mate except for the fact I paid 25k and the doors don't even seal lol. But I have no issues taking camper trailers anywhere.

mudski
27th January 2014, 12:04 AM
I believe they all come with there problems, you either fix it yourself or put up with it.
It shouldn't come with any problems if buying brand new. Especially the problem I have had, i would expect that if buying second hand though. So, I am fixing them myself as I won't put up with it. Nor will I even bother taking the trailer back to MDC as we all know whats the outcome of that would be. So I just accepted the fact that it was built in a real hurry, and I will fix the issues myself properly and I will make the trailer even better than what it was when it rolled of the showroom floor. As for taking it up to the tip. I have no doubt that after a few tweaks it would do it. Would I though? Erm, mine being one of the largest and heaviest models, I would have to carefully think about it. I would definately take it up the Strezlecki or Birdsville though. Nothing but flat dirt and the odd corrugation on those tracks. Well was like that when I was on them last.

Steve4wdin
27th January 2014, 09:43 AM
I don't mean to argue Mudski, how ever, I give a prime example. Nissan Patrol.ZD30. Look a there inherit problems. Engine detonating, wheel nuts coming loose, for say a price of $54k. My point is if you buy some thing, yes it "should be" right when it leaves the factory but some times there are issues. By the sounds of it you are a perfectionist, that's good.
Now I will duck for cover.

megatexture
27th January 2014, 09:58 AM
Wheel nuts are any car, I know 2 landcruiser a navara and a hilux that have lost studs/ wheels

threedogs
27th January 2014, 10:11 AM
Getting off topic but my point was why tow a trailer across the Simmo or CSR.
There must be heaps of wrecked trailers on the side of the road,
Why burden fellow traveller in your convoy let alone the extra fuel you will use
Birdsville is a HWY even though its a track, book in advance and hire a cabin they are awesome

Steve4wdin
27th January 2014, 10:33 AM
Getting off topic but my point was why tow a trailer across the Simmo or CSR.
Why burden fellow traveller in your convoy let alone the extra fuel you will use
Birdsville is a HWY even though its a track, book in advance and hire a cabin they are awesome

I 100% agree with you John, if I was travelling by myself, I reckon the ideal set up would be awning with a side or two, and a swag. Small amount of real estate and quick to set up at end of a day travelling. I generally travel with my wife and daughter, hence the camper trailer.

mudski
25th February 2014, 12:49 PM
Lol I just got a call frpm MDC. They somehow have lost their paperwork or invoices and asked me if I can email them a copy of mine as they dont have a record of the deposit I gave them. Great work...:thumbup:

BigRAWesty
25th February 2014, 01:41 PM
Lol I just got a call frpm MDC. They somehow have lost their paperwork or invoices and asked me if I can email them a copy of mine as they dont have a record of the deposit I gave them. Great work...:thumbup:

Did you expect anything more mate??
Piss poor..

threedogs
25th February 2014, 02:03 PM
If you can get your hands on the latest 4x4 austrailia mag there is an interesting article on flat packed campers.
The Australian camper trailer makers in the $15k und under bracket can't and wont put a trailer on the market
to compete with the cheapies, who bolts on a drw bar WTF I'll try and put a link, you might change your mind , you might
As the article states just because you own a welder doesn't mean you are one .
Anyway its the feb 2014 edition and well worth reading , it has 4x4 of the year on the cover

shina
25th February 2014, 02:41 PM
Mudski don't know if you noticed but one of the blokes who owns MDC was a owner of GIC most likely brought his poor quality over with him.

mudski
25th February 2014, 04:58 PM
Did you expect anything more mate??
Piss poor..

I actually laughed at them when they asked me to email them a copy of my invoice. I might drag it out a while and see if they ring back. Bloody nongs made me go out on my first trip with no pegs, a badly leaking tap and a pump full of plastic shavings...Amongst other things...

If you can get your hands on the latest 4x4 austrailia mag there is an interesting article on flat packed campers.
The Australian camper trailer makers in the $15k und under bracket can't and wont put a trailer on the market
to compete with the cheapies, who bolts on a drw bar WTF I'll try and put a link, you might change your mind , you might
As the article states just because you own a welder doesn't mean you are one .
Anyway its the feb 2014 edition and well worth reading , it has 4x4 of the year on the cover

Change my mind about what? I already own one of their campers....

Mudski don't know if you noticed but one of the blokes who owns MDC was a owner of GIC most likely brought his poor quality over with him.

I heard that. But I have said before and will say again, I think the build of the trailer isn't too bad. The size and layout of the trailer is awesome, copious amounts of storage too. Its the bolt on bits that is where it really lacks. It looks like it was literally thrown together in a big rush. Even though I have them plenty of time to get it together.
But I'm getting through all the issues slowly, just trying to find the parts and the time to do it is slowing my progress. Lol, I sound like MDC...

BigRAWesty
25th February 2014, 06:50 PM
It's like all these cheap imports. They are a great layout, but the quality and finish is below par..

oncedisturbed
25th February 2014, 07:03 PM
I know this is a different make but I checked MDC, GIC and Leisure Matters campers out last year at 4wd show here in Perth and LM won hands down with comparative inclusions, layout, workmanship and overall cost.

Maybe some food for thought for anyone looking at a CT :)

mudski
25th February 2014, 09:42 PM
My camper will suffice until the kids grow up and don't want to go anymore.

mudski
26th February 2014, 09:04 AM
I just got an email from them. They are asking for the EFT slip for the deposit we paid them. When the woman rang yesterday, her accent was that strong I though she was asking for another grand. Then I thought she wanted the invoice for the trailer. But they need the deposit slip.

BigRAWesty
26th February 2014, 09:35 AM
I just got an email from them. They are asking for the EFT slip for the deposit we paid them. When the woman rang yesterday, her accent was that strong I though she was asking for another grand. Then I thought she wanted the invoice for the trailer. But they need the deposit slip.

Just send em the receipt number..

oncedisturbed
26th February 2014, 11:03 AM

Something is sounding very fishy

mudski
26th February 2014, 11:17 AM
Something is sounding very fishy

They have obviously lost the slip from the eft machine and they dont get payment unless they have it.

rkinsey
26th February 2014, 11:56 AM
We bought the Offroad V3 Deluxe MDC camper with annexe and Kids room last November. Cost $6500.00 brand new and its all welded. Nothing bolted on apart from the jockey wheel and tool box ofcourse.

We love the camper and it does setup reasonably well. Took us about an hour to get it right the first time. More practice required though.

As for the service from MDC, I couldn't ask for more. They were great. Friendly people to talk to and happy to help. (I know this doesnt happen all of the time as I am in the IT service industry and believe me you can get some wallys out there) After we got it home I decided to set it up so we could check that we had all of the bits needed before we went away and discovered that one of the upright poles had been bent. So I called them up and sent them a few pictures with a straight forward explanation of what I had found, they sent me a complete assembly no questions asked.

I have found similar issues as well Mudski that you have. The hand pump leaks like a sieve and the 20L Jerry can holders arent big enough to fit a 20L Jerry can at all and too big for a 10L one.

I have written to MDC via email and am awaiting their response. (sent today thanks for reminding me)

For those of you who are looking I suggest going out there and put your hands on them and looking at your budget and what you want to do with the camper. With care, whatever you purchase, it will last you a lifetime and the MDC I am sure will do just that.

Cheers,

Rob

mudski
26th February 2014, 01:42 PM
Lol sorry Rob. We are talking about MDC aren't we? You didnt just have a dream last night and thought it was real? :D

rkinsey
26th February 2014, 01:50 PM
Not at all Mudski. That's been my experience with them.

mudski
26th February 2014, 01:53 PM
Yeah mate. Im just trying to be a funny bugger...:rolleyes:

rkinsey
26th February 2014, 02:41 PM
Crikey Mudski....3000 comedians out of work and your trying to be funny....:hpfredgeorge1:

Its all good mate.

In all seriousness. Every manufacturer for any product will always have an element of failure. If they are smart, they will actually factor the cost of first time failures into the budget of any product. Its usually around the 2 - 3% mark. The reason is because whenever there is a human involved in the manufacturing process, something is bound to go wrong.

Its how we as consumers react to this failure that causes some friction (again with the human factor) and then from there problems occur.

You are correct in saying that some of their attention to detail could be better managed and its always the little things (compared to the product as a whole) that bring the expectation of any product or service down.

Have you written to them to make any suggestions as to how to improve their product quality? They will listen, especially if they get a dozen or so similar reports.

Tonks
26th February 2014, 04:30 PM
Well, after posting about this in early January and after looking for about 12 months,
I have finally found a second hand Johnnos offroad deluxe full duragal aussie made and in great shape with all the fruit,
Wax converters canvas, dometic stainless kitchen, internal fridge slide, battery setup,,
Can't be happier,
Did the tele track last year in the wagon, lets see how the camper goes this year.
Cheers,
Tonks.

rkinsey
26th February 2014, 04:36 PM
Nice one Tonks. Lucky bugger!

Moral to this story is....Shop around!

mudski
26th February 2014, 05:06 PM
Well done tonks. Unfortunately for me the trailer I bought is the only one big enough to store my 75l Engel in so my choice was very limited. Still happy with what I have though dont get me wrong. Im just making changes to it to make it better...

mudski
1st March 2014, 06:01 PM
Ok just found something else to put on the fix list that goes to prove they are douche bags.
The tyre on the jockey wheel is solid rubber. From day one I have noticed the tyre looking like its going flat. I put it down to the weight if the trailer squashing the rubber. Well upon closer inspection today if found one of the four bolts that hold the two halfs of the rim together almost right off and the other three I undid with my fingers. The result of this has made the rubber tyre shift in the rim and create the flat spot. To top it off the shit bearings in the hub of the rim are so loose i am amazed how the wheel spun on the shaft.
Awesome work MDC.

mudski
17th April 2014, 05:41 PM
Just thought I'd add to the list of issues with this trailer after returning back from our latest trip.

Two front side tool boxes were full of water. Water proof? Not!
Front main tool box, albeit massive, had a small swimming pool in it and all the gear inside the box soaked up the water like a sponge and anything that was in boxes, the boxes had to be thrown out.

Woof
17th April 2014, 07:59 PM
Bought one of these http://www.marketdirectcampertrailers.com.au/en/voyager-rf/ about a month ago at the Perth Caravan & Camping Show, have not had time to check everything out yet.

mudski
17th April 2014, 08:29 PM
Good luck doggy. All I can say is go over the thing wife a fine tooth comb. 100 times. If you intend on doing any distance trips on corrugation I would recommend ripping out the wheel bearings and putting in some decent branded ones. When they gave me spare wheel bearings that raised the alarm mighty quick that the bearings where cheap chit. Plus make sure everything works and you have everything before your first trip.
I didn't, and I got caught out.

Harps
18th April 2014, 05:58 AM
where i use to work i dealt with a some guys from MDC a couple of times, i asked them would they ever buy one of there trailers they laughed and said f&%k

mudski
18th April 2014, 12:46 PM
Encouraging that isn't it? Atleast I can say that I am slowly making my camper better. All I need to do is figure out how to remove their massive logo from the cover on the trailer. Any idea's on that? Looks like its painted on. I though about trying turps or thinners but they would attack the material I think.

Winnie
18th April 2014, 01:19 PM
Encouraging that isn't it? Atleast I can say that I am slowly making my camper better. All I need to do is figure out how to remove their massive logo from the cover on the trailer. Any idea's on that? Looks like its painted on. I though about trying turps or thinners but they would attack the material I think.

In the end though Mark you will end up with a very nice camper trailer. It's disappointing that you have to do so much work to a brand new trailer though

Bloodyaussie
18th April 2014, 02:13 PM
It sucks hey.... the power of advertising and a bit of glitter and we part with good money !!!

mudski
18th April 2014, 02:13 PM
It is disappointing but atleast it will be better.
I will be really happy if I can get rid of their massive logo painted on the back cover. I turfed all the mudflaps and replaced the with plain black ones. The spare wheel cover was thrown out. Just one more to go.
Oh yeah. They still email me asking for the deposit receipt. If I didn't have all these issues I would have helped them out.

mudski
25th April 2014, 09:00 PM
Ok gents! More issues! Yes more...

After ripping out the water pump from the tailgate kitchen to move it closer to the tank, where it should be, I thought I will wire in a manual switch to the pump so I can shut it off via the switch with ease. So off came the covers that conceal all the wiring behind the tail light and it was an absolute abortion! Soldiering done by a two year old! I have two LED spot lights here I thought I would mount at the back so when reversing at night these LED spot light will come on. WRONG! The reverse wire at the plug is non existent and non existent down the back of the trailer.
SO. I though I would check the other side of the trailer at the lights. Upon removing the cover I found this... A stripped green wire!!!

Then I thought to uncover the rest and unwound the electrical tape just below this...

WTF!!!!!

So guess what I will be doing to this trailer? Removing the entire wiring and starting again!

PLUS!!!!

While I was under the trailer I noticed one of the shockers is FUBAR! It has leaked all its oil out. Pics to come later.

Atleast the kitchen sink tap will be much better...

From this...

to this...

I'm seriously thinking about starting a new thread on this entire trailer saga and also posting up all my issue's on Explore OZ forums or something.

Edit : I forgot. Check this out for laziness...

lhurley
25th April 2014, 10:00 PM
I was actually thinking about getting a mdc trailer a little while ago, that's thoughts gone. I want to make it my own not rebuild the entire thing.

mudnut
25th April 2014, 11:39 PM
If they are asking for the paper work, Mudski, you should make them fix the wiring, replace the shockers with decent ones and pay for some of the items you have replaced. Making sure all is done to your satisfaction, before handing over what they want.

mudski
26th April 2014, 12:14 AM
If they are asking for the paper work, Mudski, you should make them fix the wiring, replace the shockers with decent ones and pay for some of the items you have replaced. Making sure all is done to your satisfaction, before handing over what they want.

And what about the ever growing list of shite I have already fixed and haven't yet fixed? People have asked me why I don't just go back to them and complain. What will this gain? Me getting irate at them, and them only to replace the crap with crap again? The wiring they will just patch up for starters... As for that paperwork they have lost. They won't be getting it off me. I'm not even going to waste my time going back there. I am compiling a group of photos and will be finding a forum where their product is most talked about and dump it there for all to see. Problem is I keep finding more issues every time I look at this trailer. I wonder what I will find when I remove the wheels to inspect the brakes.

mudnut
26th April 2014, 12:17 AM
Fair enough, mate. I can certainly understand where you're coming from. Do the job once and do it right.

mudski
26th April 2014, 12:25 AM
Fair enough, mate. I can certainly understand where you're coming from. Do the job once and do it right.

Exactly....

Woof
26th April 2014, 06:25 PM
Been checking mine out, so far so good just a few little things that they will fix whether they like it or not.
Taking it out for 3 days next weekend, so will have a better chance to check it out completely.

mudski
27th April 2014, 12:52 AM
Good luck doggy. My reasons for not taking it back is they will only patch the crap work up and replace the garbage with garbage again. I want it right, so I'll do it myself. And it will be a better trailer than when I got it new.

What model did you get?

Bigcol
28th April 2014, 05:50 PM
I have been following this for awhile......
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CampingGear/permalink/477352992378250/

some interesting reading.......

I think Buyer Beware - and have a good look at what your handing money over for should be manditory

cheers

mudski
28th April 2014, 09:37 PM
I have been following this for awhile......
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CampingGear/permalink/477352992378250/

some interesting reading.......

I think Buyer Beware - and have a good look at what your handing money over for should be manditory

cheers

Anyway of telling me what it says? I don't have faceache...

the evil twin
28th April 2014, 11:04 PM
Anyway of telling me what it says? I don't have faceache...

MDC sold Punter a POS
Punter took trailer back for repairs
MDC said all fixed
It wasnt so Punter took trailer back for repairs
MDC said all fixed
MDC said all fixed
MDC said all fixed
MDC said all fixed
MDC said all fixed
MDC said they were sick of repairs so told Punter to Piss Off
Punter took MDC to Court
Punter won compo and costs
MDC still yet to pay Punter

mudski
28th April 2014, 11:31 PM
MDC sold Punter a POS
Punter took trailer back for repairs
MDC said all fixed
MDC said all fixed
MDC said all fixed
MDC said all fixed
MDC said all fixed
MDC said all fixed
MDC said they were sick of repairs so told Punter to Piss Off
Punter took MDC to Court
Punter won compo and costs
MDC still yet to pay Punter
Lol thanks. Nuff said about MDC hey...

Robo
17th May 2014, 01:59 AM
After reading this, I have to add.
At Sydney mtr show I looked at MDC display they looked the goods.
I asked a couple of ? as you do, and to my surprise the sales man didn't know the specs, but hay I thought he may just be someone filling in locally as the companys all the way down from Qld. "trying to be fair I thought"
Wrong assumption he was senior management as I recently saw on 1 of Roothys mdc vids.
So it would seem they don't know whats in there own trailers.
(no surprise after reading posts.)

And I also happened along someone recently who had been chasing parts for a Jayco off Rd camper.
To his dismay Jayco don't and wont supply parts for their older vans.
He was told by Jayco, go aftermarket and see if you can get aftermarket parts that way as jayco DON'T do em anymore.
these 2 senarios have me convinced to build my own if I ever do want this type of trailer.
m2cw said.

menace 2
17th May 2014, 01:30 PM
[QUOTE=threedogs;473313]Getting off topic but my point was why tow a trailer across the Simmo or CSR.

Well in that case I might start building mine on the way over and come out the other side with a complete camper trailer ....hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

mudski
26th May 2014, 12:59 AM
After reading this, I have to add.
At Sydney mtr show I looked at MDC display they looked the goods.
I asked a couple of ? as you do, and to my surprise the sales man didn't know the specs, but hay I thought he may just be someone filling in locally as the companys all the way down from Qld. "trying to be fair I thought"
Wrong assumption he was senior management as I recently saw on 1 of Roothys mdc vids.
So it would seem they don't know whats in there own trailers.
(no surprise after reading posts.)

And I also happened along someone recently who had been chasing parts for a Jayco off Rd camper.
To his dismay Jayco don't and wont supply parts for their older vans.
He was told by Jayco, go aftermarket and see if you can get aftermarket parts that way as jayco DON'T do em anymore.
these 2 senarios have me convinced to build my own if I ever do want this type of trailer.
m2cw said.

Depending on the age of the Jayco Robo. One can't expect them to keep every part for every model they ever built. Atleast Jayco know how to built a trailer...

Robo
28th May 2014, 02:38 AM
Depending on the age of the Jayco Robo. One can't expect them to keep every part for every model they ever built. Atleast Jayco know how to built a trailer...

We agree there, If I had the cash, I'd probably spend on a new or newer jayco.
part supply or lack of still remains,those of us who maybe thinking of restoring an older jayco, you may or may not be able to get that part so research first.
cheers bro

mudski
24th October 2014, 06:38 PM
Almost finished re-wiring the entire trailer. I have now added two LED reverse lights. I am still yet to decide on the final placement of the water pump. I have replaced all the cheap clear PVC hose with food grade hose. This I am not sure on the laws, but I would have thought it would need to be food grade hose they need to use. By Law.
I was just about to start putting the fitting back in the tank and I thought to jam the hose in the tank and flush it out. See pics for what and how much came out!!!
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50722&stc=1
Mind you this was the second time around draining the tank...

The hose supplied by MDC...
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50725&stc=1http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50726&stc=1

And yet another stripped lead found...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50727&stc=1

So all I have left to do, for now, is plumb the pump, replace the leaking shocker and figure out this volt/ amp meter gauge wiring.

megatexture
24th October 2014, 08:49 PM
Just pull off the shocks?, mine has none and it doesn't bounce around. or pull one side off and see if it jumps more on that side and then decide

Family4x4
24th October 2014, 10:55 PM
We are looking at a camper thanks for the advice Mark, I am sorry it has come at such a great price to you.

mudski
24th October 2014, 11:01 PM
I have contemplated it. But doing all the other crap on the trailer, and still doing it, I haven't really though much about them. Getting this amp meter wired in will do my head in I think.

megatexture
24th October 2014, 11:19 PM
It's not difficult at all, just don't wind out the wire clamps on the board too far or you will want to smash it into pieces lol

mudski
24th October 2014, 11:34 PM
It's not difficult at all, just don't wind out the wire clamps on the board too far or you will want to smash it into pieces lol

Yeah I know. I the type if I don't quite understand how and why something works, I find it difficult to install. I just need to sit down and work it out first. Adding the second battery and the BCDC1225 in and so it can be charged via the car, panels or mains was a task for me. But I got it...

mudski
24th October 2014, 11:57 PM
We are looking at a camper thanks for the advice Mark, I am sorry it has come at such a great price to you.

It's a bloody shame isn't it. But the trailer is big and has bucket loads of space. Which is what we wanted. We just didn't want to be fixing it when it was bought brand new. But in the end mate, it will be a better trailer than what is was new.

4bye4
13th June 2015, 09:12 PM
Hi all. Thinking of getting the V5 from MDC and was just wondering if there has been any changes to the quality. The last previous post on this was Oct 2014, so any updates. Mudski - all good now or still fixing things?

mudski
14th June 2015, 01:13 AM
Hi all. Thinking of getting the V5 from MDC and was just wondering if there has been any changes to the quality. The last previous post on this was Oct 2014, so any updates. Mudski - all good now or still fixing things?
Dont buy one mate. Rays have dropped the line of MDC campers. They soon realised how shite they are... well actually i will say this again. They are a good trailer, built well, mine has oodles of storage. They just throw the trailers together without a care. All the eff' ups on my trailer are from whoever assembled it.
I thought i had fixed all issues, but found another. Coming back from our easter trip we pulled into a small town for lunch and a car pulls up behind us. The chap gets out and says he noticed my trailer tracks slightly to one side of the car. I had seen ghis in the mirrors but just thought it was the angle of the mirror to the trailer.
So i get home and run a piece of wood across the guard of the trailer. I have found the axle is not exactly 90 degrees to the trailer. Explains the trailer tracking to one side.
So another thing to fix....
I do contract work for the SCA group, Supercheap, BCF, Rays etc etc. I have bumped into quite a few disgruntled MDC owners now who come into the stores. All have said the same thing, trailer is built pretty good but put together by a 2 year old. And all have said the same about the after sales service. Rude and appalling.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

BigRAWesty
14th June 2015, 08:55 AM
Friends of ours just bought one. I laughed at him and maybe offended him but silly him for not researching and he got sucked into the sales pitch..
They stated all damage was mainly caused by delivery companies. Bahahahaha.
Anyway they paid top dollar for the "first 2015 black" pro whatever it is.
Tbh.... It looks like a cheap black trailer with a tent on it.
They still use a cheap cramp imported tent setup which is crap.
They only pivot 2 roof supports from the trailer.
My olds camper had 3 and the father Inlaw modded his now to swing 3 from the trailer.
That leaves only one roof support (end wall) to be erected manually.
Windows only open from the outside. That's a pain.
Inlaws is a chinese camper around 5 years old. Canvas seals are letting go.

Anyway. If it was me and your looking at budget Id by a second hand quality one for sure. There is a wicked one down here atm and they can't move it.
They are watching cheap ones go for $500 less. If your interested I'll get some details to you

Bigcol
14th June 2015, 11:02 AM
years ago, I had a Jayco Cub Swan......... pushup roof, slide out beds....... pretty much one of the first of that type
had it for years and years, when I needed parts for it, as Robbo said - Jayco dont hold spares for them for very long, and I couldn't afford the $$$$ aftermarket were charging, so I made what I needed myself......

got out of camping for a few years, kids were growing up, life was getting in the way, holiday camping time was over - (went camping Via Sheraton & Flag motor Inns)
once the kids were gone, I thought, "hey I wanna go camping again...."

so started the long process (2.5 years) of looking at :-
swags - SWMBO was not impressed
Tents - we started that way before the kids came along...... SWMBO was not impressed
Camper Trailers -
started at the real cheap end.... wasn't big enough, maybe a few $$$ more.......
mid priced ones - didnt like the layouts, or the tent material, or the size,maybe a few $$$ more........
horribly expensive for what you get ones - its a tent on a trailer for Fooks sake, for a few $$$ more, I can get a Camper Van

righto

Camper Vans :-
fold up Cub types - too small, maybe a few $$$ more,
Jayco types - hmmmm not bad thank you, now to find the size and style we like
for only a few ($2000.00) more than the top of the wazza Camper Trailer, I brought a 1 year old Flamingo Outback
I had this for 5 years, and did numerous trips around WA
when I sold it, I lost $2000.00 on the deal from what I paid
I upgraded 2 years ago into a Jayco Expanda Outback, and have never looked back

yes I know of people with heaps of problems with their Jayco's from new
but Jayco's after sales service is second to NONE in the industry - ring them up, tell them the problem, they send you to a repairer, and its fixed, even when its out of warranty (as long as its design fault),
I have heard of people with the same problems as Mudski - crap wiring, crap in the water tanks, etc - and they have been fixed no problemo

when we looked at the Expanda, we also looked at the Windsor Rapid
better fittings, crappy colours, better built, heavier, and $10K dearer

I'm happy with my Expanda, it ticks all the boxes for me - maybe not everyone, but I brought it for me............

same as Mudski - he brought what would suit his needs, unfortunately MDC have a bad rap for build quality, after sales service, and product - but he is fixing his problems to make it better.

my advice is
if you know how to, and can fix things - buyer beware
if you know sod all, and cant boil an egg - buyer beware

4bye4
14th June 2015, 11:06 AM
Friends of ours just bought one. I laughed at him and maybe offended him but silly him for not researching and he got sucked into the sales pitch..
They stated all damage was mainly caused by delivery companies. Bahahahaha.
Anyway they paid top dollar for the "first 2015 black" pro whatever it is.
Tbh.... It looks like a cheap black trailer with a tent on it.
They still use a cheap cramp imported tent setup which is crap.
They only pivot 2 roof supports from the trailer.
My olds camper had 3 and the father Inlaw modded his now to swing 3 from the trailer.
That leaves only one roof support (end wall) to be erected manually.
Windows only open from the outside. That's a pain.
Inlaws is a chinese camper around 5 years old. Canvas seals are letting go.

Anyway. If it was me and your looking at budget Id by a second hand quality one for sure. There is a wicked one down here atm and they can't move it.
They are watching cheap ones go for $500 less. If your interested I'll get some details to you

I would have a look at the details if its on internet - but a bit far from me to actually buy it I reckon. Thanks for the info though, as I said in my post I thought they may have lifted their game since the last post but it appears not.

the evil twin
14th June 2015, 01:54 PM
I've had my MDC XT10 for over a year now.
Have had no problems with after sales service here in WA, indeed would rate it pretty high actually.

When an axle failed at Docker River on it's maiden voyage MDC went all out to get me back on the road ASAP, organised the freight etc from Perth/Adelaide/Yulara and paid the Yulara repairer direct.
When I got back to Perth they removed all the original suspension completely and fitted a complete new (and much better) version.

Agree with comments about assembly, it is a kinda rocks or diamonds scenario but is def improving.
I was in the showroom the other day and most of the "rocks" I know about on mine have been improved on the new ones.

A few of my fellow Clubbies have MDC trailers now and seem OK with them but I guess the best comment I can make is they are what you pay for.
You won't get a $70,000 off road awesomely put together trailer, say, Kimberley standard construction for $35,000.

mudski
14th June 2015, 02:09 PM
Your a lucky man ET. They have a really bad rep here in Melbourne. Buy you do get what you pay for. Ive spent a fair bit on mine since the purchace of it, so now its even better than new. I just need to fix the axle issue before the next trip.

Woof
14th June 2015, 02:18 PM
I had an issue with water leaking into the top seal and caused mould to grow all over the tent, the Perth dealer has completely replaced all of the canvas components with new tent and all others. Have not checked it since as I have been over East for a while, will check it when I return and then I will be selling it as it is way too big for me now.

mudski
14th June 2015, 03:56 PM
Hmm seems the western distributors for MDC actually care about their customers once they have made the purchase. Thats a good thing....

the evil twin
14th June 2015, 07:09 PM
Hmm seems the western distributors for MDC actually care about their customers once they have made the purchase. Thats a good thing....

Yeah, agree with you there.

I found the S.A. MDC guys very easy to deal with when they had to act as middlemen to get the gear to Yulara to fix mine as well but cannot comment on service issues with them.
Brissy head office seemed good but can be very hard to get the right person so I found email best but still have to wait a while if they are out on the road

I've also spent a lot of time on mine changing things to suit like replacing a fasteners with longer ones or Stainless and the stone guard doesn't suit my Ute so I'll get a custom one done.
Water tankage plumbing wasn't how I wanted it either (all 3 tanks interconnected) so I have added extra plumbing and stop cocks

I kinda look at it like my 'Trol... a work in progress and marginally cheaper than owning a boat

mudski
14th June 2015, 10:36 PM
Yeah, agree with you there.

I found the S.A. MDC guys very easy to deal with when they had to act as middlemen to get the gear to Yulara to fix mine as well but cannot comment on service issues with them.
Brissy head office seemed good but can be very hard to get the right person so I found email best but still have to wait a while if they are out on the road

I've also spent a lot of time on mine changing things to suit like replacing a fasteners with longer ones or Stainless and the stone guard doesn't suit my Ute so I'll get a custom one done.
Water tankage plumbing wasn't how I wanted it either (all 3 tanks interconnected) so I have added extra plumbing and stop cocks

I kinda look at it like my 'Trol... a work in progress and marginally cheaper than owning a boat
Amen to that....

4bye4
15th June 2015, 12:27 AM
Hmmm you guys are starting to scare me. Might have to look at putting a tent on my POD.
Sent an email to the manufacturer and he replied to just bring it into the factory and they could do it. Just sent another email pointing out he is in Victoria and I am in WA. Trying to find out if they do a kit.

mudski
15th June 2015, 10:00 AM
Its seems mate that the WA MDC guys are good. Their rep here in Melbourne, and from what I have read in QLD, is in tatters. Ray's dropped the line because of issue with them here in Melbourne. They are a cheap/er trailer, you do get what you pay for. But even though they are cheaper than other known branded trailers, doesn't make it ok for things to go wrong in my eyes. I forked out around 14k for our trailer and have spent around $1500 on top. About $500 of it was buying things just to fix up their stuff ups, not to mention the amount of hours doing all this.
Its still a good trailer, no doubt. Well built, or designed I should say. Its just their assembly left a lot to be desired.
Just keep this in mind.

threedogs
15th June 2015, 10:06 AM
PML at the $$$$$ paid for a trailer and a tent,
BA may trump everyone building his own.
IMO $14k plus for a trailer/tent is ridiculas.
Not sure what other options are better,
but sellers are laughing all the way to the bank
Sort of like lures catch more fisherman than fish

Rock Trol
15th June 2015, 03:50 PM
Hmmm you guys are starting to scare me. Might have to look at putting a tent on my POD.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58907&stc=1
Sent an email to the manufacturer and he replied to just bring it into the factory and they could do it. Just sent another email pointing out he is in Victoria and I am in WA. Trying to find out if they do a kit.

Hi 4bye4. They do make a couple of camper options for the pod trailer. A rear folding quick tent and a side folding tent that is a little larger. There is a dealer here in SA (The Dirt 4WD) that sells them I have put a link in to their site.

http://www.thedirt4wd.com.au/Pod_Trailer.html

The other advantage is that you will have a very light and fuel efficient set up compared to the MDC which is a traditional steel trailer type of set up. Corrosion resistant as well!

4bye4
15th June 2015, 04:22 PM
Hi 4bye4. They do make a couple of camper options for the pod trailer. A rear folding quick tent and a side folding tent that is a little larger. There is a dealer here in SA (The Dirt 4WD) that sells them I have put a link in to their site.

http://www.thedirt4wd.com.au/Pod_Trailer.html

The other advantage is that you will have a very light and fuel efficient set up compared to the MDC which is a traditional steel trailer type of set up. Corrosion resistant as well!

Thank for the link mate - I have been talking to the manufacturer in Vic. The want $9995 for the tent and a new top plus postage. Good quality Southern Cross material but still out of my budget at this time. I would thing that the lick to Sa company will be just an onseller of the Vic manufacturer so price will not be much different.

Rock Trol
15th June 2015, 05:03 PM
Anything quality in this industry costs a sh1te load. How much would the MDC cost? Surely over $10000?
Maybe a good second hand Aussie built camper might be the go.

Winnie
15th June 2015, 05:20 PM
Maybe a good second hand Aussie built camper might be the go.

That's what I've done and it's a decision I don't think I'll ever regret.
Paid a damn site less than what a new MDC or similar would cost, may not have all the gadgets but the trailer and the tent are a lot better quality.

gaddy
15th June 2015, 08:04 PM
Evolution of camping ! ( for me)
1 surfboard cover on the beach
2 tent
3 ute decked out
4 camper trailer ( modified jayco )
5 off road van ( modified jayco )
Hind sight and wallet tell me should have skipped 2,3 and 4 , but had a shit load of fun anyway !

4bye4
15th June 2015, 08:26 PM
Evolution of camping ! ( for me)
1 surfboard cover on the beach
2 tent
3 ute decked out
4 camper trailer ( modified jayco )
5 off road van ( modified jayco )
Hind sight and wallet tell me should have skipped 2,3 and 4 , but had a shit load of fun anyway !

Thanks mate - it's not done to mention a ladies age, but lets say I'm 64 and my missus is the same age as me. Surfboard cover on the beach just ain't gonna hack it.Best for her would be luxury hotel in each town, me I don't mind so much. Somewhere in between is what we need to do. Rock Trol asked how much MDC stuff cost. Cheapest one is about $5000. and not worth it. Without starting a blog about shonkey advertising, they advertise $3999, $4999 etc, but when you add the extras like spare tires, kitchen and things it gets more expensive. $3999 for instance pretty much gets you a trailer, built from flat pack and minimum quality and size tent on top. I was never going into the basic model. I revived the thread because they had a name for falling apart and I wondered if they had improved. Appears not. Anyway its interesting to see what people think and recommend and I am watching all replied. Incidentally, I can understand that if you buy cheap you may have to tweak a bit and tighten a few bolts, but axles mounted off straight, well that got to be almost unroadworthy in my mind. I'd be pissed if I got yellowed as I drove home from the store.

mudski
15th June 2015, 08:31 PM
PML at the $$$$$ paid for a trailer and a tent,
BA may trump everyone building his own.
IMO $14k plus for a trailer/tent is ridiculas.
Not sure what other options are better,
but sellers are laughing all the way to the bank
Sort of like lures catch more fisherman than fish
I used to camp with a trailer and a tent John. Two very different things. In many ways. Theres no way you can compare, or relate moreso a trailer and a tent to camper trailer.

4bye4
15th June 2015, 08:51 PM
Incidentally guys, we are currently using a tent.

Clunk
15th June 2015, 10:04 PM
Incidentally guys, we are currently using a tent.
What about raising the hight of those bars on the trailer and fit a roof top tent?........ but I'm guessing trouble will ensue if the need to retrieve anything from inside the trailer

4bye4
15th June 2015, 10:11 PM
Yea thanks Clunk - that's a possibility and also taking the pod top off and putting a camper tent on top. I'm sure you know the feeling starting off with a simple idea and ending up trying to rearrange the universe.

Clunk
15th June 2015, 10:18 PM
Yea thanks Clunk - that's a possibility and also taking the pod top off and putting a camper tent on top. I'm sure you know the feeling starting off with a simple idea and ending up trying to rearrange the universe.
Nah, I usually give up before having an idea [emoji12]

mudski
16th June 2015, 09:02 AM
What about raising the hight of those bars on the trailer and fit a roof top tent?........ but I'm guessing trouble will ensue if the need to retrieve anything from inside the trailer

Now thats a good idea... You'd need stabilizer legs on the trailer but may work. Make the entire thing removable so you can even sit it on the ground and still use the roof top tent. I saw this when up on the Murray last easter. A falcon ute drove part our camp with this steel frame thing bolted to his ute tray, this frame had the roof top tent on it. The next day we went for a walk and the entire frame was off the ute and on the ground and the tent still ontop but all setup. the then had covered storage underneath the tent and still had their car to drive around in.
Wish I had taken a photo of this. Awsome setup...

threedogs
16th June 2015, 01:48 PM

Might be possible to hinge it using some solid gate weldable hinges

rusty_nail
16th June 2015, 02:10 PM
thats a very similar setup to my trailer guys(the hinging part), mark, youve seen it i think? ill dig up the thread and post it in here for ideas. very very easy to use.

rusty_nail
16th June 2015, 02:14 PM
check that out for build ideas, ive got heavy duty long gas struts underneath it and it lifts up all nice and easy. its hinged from two but removable gate hinges from bunnings, and its held down by two of those clips things that hold ute tray sides on??? lol

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?18205-My-Camper-Trailer-Build-Thread&highlight=camper+trailer+build+thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsDS1VCJ-qk

BigRAWesty
19th June 2015, 08:23 PM
I would have a look at the details if its on internet - but a bit far from me to actually buy it I reckon. Thanks for the info though, as I said in my post I thought they may have lifted their game since the last post but it appears not.
Here ya go. Maybe someone will be interested

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk