PDA

View Full Version : UHF install into an Outback Overhead console

FNQGU
5th January 2014, 04:49 PM
Has anyone installed their UHF into one of these Outback overhead consoles?

I have got an iCom 400 that I am installing in there at the moment. I've got the power and antenna wiring sorted and I have got one of those rubber fascia kits for the sizing, but how do you secure the unit itself? There are no screw holes or obvious mounting points.

Double sided tape perhaps?

Anyone else done one of these before?

threedogs
5th January 2014, 05:07 PM
Don't they pick up the centre cabin light and the front rear vision mirror mount

macca
5th January 2014, 05:15 PM
Maybe a couple of small angle brackets screwed to the radio (check the screw doesn't foul anything) then sikaflex or similar to the console.

FNQGU
5th January 2014, 05:19 PM
TD - I have the console fixing points sorted. That isn't the drama. I probably wasn't clear above. Am just referring to securing the iCom in the console.

Macca, yeah - sikaflex might be the go. Looks like I need to build it up slightly to get the mounting angles right, and then secure it. Certainly not much else to secure it to that's for sure.

FNQGU
5th January 2014, 06:08 PM
Thought I'd show a few pics if anyone else is thinking of doing this. The console itself is pretty simple to install. As TD mentioned - the front mounts up to the three screws from your rear view mirror. The rear mounts to a plate that screws to the cross-member in the roof and they give you a template to tell you where to drill the two holes.

Wiring for your UHF has to be run through the roof lining at the front of the vehicle and then down the pillar. I took my power off one pole on my SBI12 (VSR) that feeds off the Aux battery. This means I can run it without the ignition on when in base camp, but have to be careful to switch it off when not in use.

The Console itself has pre-wired LED lights and a master switch and it connects straight up to the wires that were previously powering the interior overhead lights for the middle seats. The other wires I just tucked away with a zip tie.

As you can see, there is nowhere really to screw in any brackets. The UHF just sits in a bit of a tray. I have opted to build it up with some double sided taped foam which seems pretty secure now. The underside of the iCom has a good flat surface and it sticks well. i'll give it a go anyway and see if it comes loose.

Anyway, will screw it all up tomorrow.

rottodiver
6th January 2014, 07:34 PM
I used a few strips of double sided tape.... It has not moved( admittedly my UHF is a little larger than yours but a few layers if tape will do it)

Scotty

FNQGU
6th January 2014, 09:12 PM
Screwed it all into place today and it seems to be sitting nicely. The layers of double sided taped foam are working well for the UHF so far. No discernible movement anyway.

At some future stage I think I would like to install a red light or two in the front of the overhead console, and a 3-way switch so you can chose between red light or white light. Only a small thing, but those are bright white LED lights and they do muck with your night vision a bit.

On a side note, I was hoping to mount the head unit from my Redarc BMS up on this console. I am not so sure that this is doable now as it might be a little narrow where I was hoping to put it.

Will play with that tomorrow….

philfree
6th January 2014, 09:55 PM
when i brought mine it came with a rubber do dad that the pushes in the you push the radio into it thats what the instructions said and its been in their for 2 years

FNQGU
7th January 2014, 12:06 AM
Yeah, got that rubber insert. It helps with a neat fitting but doesn't exactly support the UHF and stop it moving around. Not on mine anyway. Think I have it sorted now though. Cheers.

FNQGU
7th January 2014, 11:27 AM
Installed.

The 3rd pic shows the plate screwed in beneath the rear view mirror. Bit hard to see though. I had to use a second pair of hands to hold it while screwing it up, but otherwise very simple.

threedogs
7th January 2014, 11:53 AM
Britelites auto Do a great red/white courtesy light and larger red/white dome lights .
I have the larger on in mine and love it I also have the dome one which I'd like to install on the door pockets.

FNQGU
7th January 2014, 11:59 AM
Thanks, I'll have a look online for them.

Am planning for a couple of red strip lights to mount parallel to the white ones in the awning as well. Better in places where there are loads of bugs too.

threedogs
7th January 2014, 12:47 PM
The door ones or about 70mm round the centre cargo is 150mm.
You could also cut some foam to take up any slack as well