PDA

View Full Version : Nissan GU swivel axle leak

tb45owner
3rd January 2014, 03:48 PM
Hi all I have been looking through threads and found Tony's pics and descriptions, very detailed and great, but they do not seem the same as my GU.

The swivel ball on my GU is actually part of the axle, with the hub connected to it.
Are there any descriptions with pics for how to replace the seals and bearings on the GU that anyone can point me to, as it looks like you cannot pull out the spindle.

I have added a pic of my leaking axle for reference.

Thanks

MudRunnerTD
3rd January 2014, 03:51 PM
The GQ and the GU are Identical mate. The pics from Tony could be either a GU or GQ diff as it would be impossible to tell the difference on a bench.

growler2058
3rd January 2014, 04:45 PM
Tonys was a GU diff but as Darren said no difference for the job at hand. (actually that my have been auto locking hubs) but still same same

PATROL KING
3rd January 2014, 06:23 PM
If you replace the inner seal and it starts leaking again it is a good bet the you have a bent axle tube and thus the seal not sealing...

tb45owner
3rd January 2014, 06:33 PM
Hi Mudrunner & Growler, the thread I was looking at was the 27th Dec 2010 10.43pm. can you link me to the GU one as I'm struggling with the differences. I have auto hubs.
Is the CV joint inside the round ball part that you can see in my pic?
Sorry guys just trying to make sure Ive got my head around this before I try it!!
Thanks

NP99
3rd January 2014, 10:46 PM
I'll get some pics up mate, you're getting confused. Yes the cv is in there.

NP99
4th January 2014, 10:35 AM
These pics were taken when Mat (Nissannewby) did my seals and bearings. The lower pic you can see where the cv shaft enters and where the seal goes. Any questions just shout out...

tb45owner
4th January 2014, 01:15 PM
Brilliant!! thanks NP99 this makes things alot clearer. This morning I bought the CV kit, new bearings, 2.5kg grease and started stripping down about half an hour ago. Just thought I would refresh my memory before I continue. Will take photos as I go in case.
Thanks again to everyone thats replied with info.

NP99
4th January 2014, 02:54 PM
There is another current thread with similar work happening today....