PDA

View Full Version : 3 inch lift

red patrol
3rd January 2014, 12:21 PM
hi all, just wondering what I have to replace when installing a 3 inch lift and can it be done at home? I have a 1995 gq st :D
cheers Jordan

MEGOMONSTER
3rd January 2014, 01:05 PM
hi all, just wondering what I have to replace when installing a 3 inch lift and can it be done at home? I have a 1995 gq st :D
cheers Jordan

There is a fair bit of talk about big lifts and what's required.
Have a crack at the search bar and see what comes up.

I too would like to go 3" lift.
But there's a but.

MudRunnerTD
3rd January 2014, 01:07 PM
Hey. Jordan,

Springs
Shocks
Brake line
Brake bias plate
Extend diff breathers
Caster correction of some kind (drop boxes for me)

You will have to remove your steering wheel and adjust it to a new centre.

All can be done in the driveway

89gqpatrol4x4
3rd January 2014, 10:40 PM
Yeah mate, just done the three inch lift thanks to mudrunners advice and all done in the driveway. No special tools and haven't done anything like it before. All pretty basic really. Just changed all that MR suggests above.

red patrol
4th January 2014, 11:25 AM
awesome thanks for the help guys

BigRAWesty
4th January 2014, 05:32 PM
Some will say adjustable panhard rods, but MR is proof that there not really needed..

MEGOMONSTER
7th January 2014, 12:05 AM
Hey. Jordan,

Springs
Shocks
Brake line
Brake bias plate
Extend diff breathers
Caster correction of some kind (drop boxes for me)

You will have to remove your steering wheel and adjust it to a new centre.

All can be done in the driveway

Is this the same for a GU or is it more parts and difficult.

MudRunnerTD
7th January 2014, 12:07 AM
Is this the same for a GU or is it more parts and difficult.

You will also need an adjustable drag link also to adjust your steering wheel back to centre too Mick.

MEGOMONSTER
7th January 2014, 12:17 AM
You will also need an adjustable drag link also to adjust your steering wheel back to centre too Mick.

Thanks, didn't think I'd get an answer tonight, you know it's 11:30pm. Lol

MudRunnerTD
7th January 2014, 12:19 AM
Thanks, didn't think I'd get an answer tonight, you know it's 11:30pm. Lol

Lol. Yeah I should go to bed. Got an early morning. MC sent me a notification and I had my iPad in front of me ;)

Shoulda been out on the weekend mate, missed a good weekend mate

MEGOMONSTER
7th January 2014, 12:22 AM
Lol. Yeah I should go to bed. Got an early morning. MC sent me a notification and I had my iPad in front of me ;)

Shoulda been out on the weekend mate, missed a good weekend mate

I know, I know.

MEGOMONSTER
7th January 2014, 12:23 AM

When or why do you change F/R panhard and radius arms.

MudRunnerTD
7th January 2014, 12:33 AM

I have a 3" lift and expected to fit adjustable panards but my car sits perfectly. A panards not required for me, this might not be right for all but I would be surprised.

So on the list above I note "caster Correction" is required, this can be achieved via caster correction bushes, caster plates, drop boxes or dropped radius arms. All do the same thing, all do it differently, in the order of my list is how effective they are. I am a Big fan of Drop Boxes and have them on both cars mate. BA just fitted Drop boxes last week and can't believe the improvement.

You will need something and I'd recommend the Drop Boxes mate.

Ben-e-boy
7th January 2014, 07:05 AM

The panhard rod and the drag link ulimately should be at the same angle and length and low. As a patrol panhard is not the same length as the drag link, and it is where it is, it is good to have it on the same angle.

When the axle travels up and down (both wheels not articulation) the panhard and draglink are going to travel on their own radius. When there is a difference in angle the panhard and draglink will travel on a different radius to each other. As the panhard is fixed and the draglink is not. So the the only way the can both move on a seperate radius is for the steering wheel to turn as the axle travels up and down. This is called bump steer.

Bloodyaussie
7th January 2014, 08:05 AM
The panhard rod and the drag link ulimately should be at the same angle and length and low. As a patrol panhard is not the same length as the drag link, and it is where it is, it is good to have it on the same angle.

When the axle travels up and down (both wheels not articulation) the panhard and draglink are going to travel on their own radius. When there is a difference in angle the panhard and draglink will travel on a different radius to each other. As the panhard is fixed and the draglink is not. So the the only way the can both move on a seperate radius is for the steering wheel to turn as the axle travels up and down. This is called bump steer.

Love it when you talk all sexy!!!!!!