PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol fuelled violence

NP99
3rd January 2014, 09:29 AM
As you are aware there has been some cowardly king hit attacks in the media of late. Often the excuse used by the attacker is they were under the influence of drugs and or alcohol. That is their choice to engage in those activities as is ours. We are responsible for our actions, drunk or sober. Now there is talk of restricting venue hours etc etc. yet again, punish us all for the actions of a few. How about severe punishments for the trouble makers! Your thoughts!

Mud Gecko
3rd January 2014, 09:33 AM
These gutless wankers should be charged with attempted murder.

TimE
3rd January 2014, 10:16 AM
I'm 61 and this has been going on since before I was a boy, but a lot fewer instances and not reported with the media hysteria it is today. The difference is the population, and the extended time that people are out. In my day the pub shut at 10 and we would head off to someones house, so no crowds wandering the streets, in my dads day it was 6pm closing and very little money to spend on booze so not quite so much strife, BUT there have always been wankers with small dicks that think that they can prove what a man they are by COWARD hitting another, usually drunk, person.

Too many people, too much money, too little respect for others and way too much advertising telling the impressionable that the only way they can have a good time is drink drink drink.

I shall now get off my high horse and go and have a XXXX

Bush Ranger
3rd January 2014, 10:39 AM
Give them a month in gaol to see if it sorts them out. Sorry boss, I can`t come to work to day, I`m in the government hotel. Equals no job hopefully.

Cuppa
3rd January 2014, 11:12 AM
Yeah, not a new issue. I certainly agree that individuals should be held responsible for their behaviours, & that alcohol consumption should not be considered a mitigating factor.

However that said, I also have views which at different times have seen me labelled a wowser & an apologist for these alcohol fuelled thugs. Nothing, I might add, could be further from the truth. I do nevertheless believe that we all, as a society need to accept some responsibility for the problems in our midst. Basically I think Australia has a real problem with alcohol. It is not alone in this, but it does stand out above many other countries. I also think that over the past few decades as a society we have become worse at parenting our youngsters. There are many reasons for this, but suffice it to say put together poorer parenting & and the modeling our youngsters are subjected to with regard to alcohol consumption, it is hardly surprising that some of the youngsters do stupid, dangerous, violent & anti social things when drunk.

I'll make it clear again, I am not excusing their behaviours, but I am saying that it is predictable.

In Australia it is almost impossible to conceive of any celebration or social gathering where alcohol is not present. Drinking daily is the norm for a huge percentage of our community. Note I said drinking, not getting drunk. Somehow we expect our youngsters to follow the drinking without getting drunk modeling. How many here who drink can honestly say they have never been drunk? Yeah there is 'acceptable' & 'unacceptable' drunk, but I bet there are very few who learned that from observing or being told, they learned it from experience. Let's face it, a drunk teenager is not a pleasant thing. All they see is the adults around them with a can, stubbie or glass in their hand, enjoying their adult friend's company, & talking about booze with an enthusiasm that accompanies very little else. As youngsters they want to be 'adult' too. But they have to learn how through experience, & some get it horribly wrong & will be left dealing with it for the rest of their lives.

If we want our youngsters to learn not to misuse alcohol, we have to accept how our own adult behaviours impact upon them, & to be prepared to modify our own behaviours. This does not mean that we should all be teetotallers, nor does it mean that we should point fingers of blame & carry on regardless. It also doesn't mean that we have to be drunk & or violent to pass on the wrong messages.

Just consider the many & varied references to alcohol consumption & getting pissed just on this forum. Multiply that right across society & you begin to understand just how pervasive it really is, & yet we expect our youngsters to negotiate the minefield without problems.

Some of the best people I know enjoy a drink..... Come to think of it, most of them do.

If anyone wants to take issue with me, first consider your own drinking habits & the way you talk about alcohol with your mates & in your family & consider the possibilities I've raised. You might not like it, but don't shoot me, I'm only a messenger.

Should you wonder whether I drink, yes I do, but rarely. I didn't get called Cuppa for nothing.

End of rant!

threedogs
3rd January 2014, 11:42 AM
I don't have an alcohol problem, I drink, I fall down, no problem lol
I'm with TimE, total lack of respect these days shite I still call my BFF mums Mrs Canning
yet all my sons mate call me John. Yeah lack of respect

Edit I cant remember the last time I was drunkmust be a few years ago for sure maybe 5

Avo
3rd January 2014, 12:05 PM
Cuppa I repect your opinion but don't agree that we should take responsability for whats happening,these people are not going to give a shit ,their first intent is to hit someone and knocking them to the ground..I personally think this is there mindset before they set out for the night.

As for drinking and setting a bad example...meh...I drink,more than most I know mate and my kids turned out alright(well the oldest 2 have)I think like you said modify your behaviours....but why..i brought my eldest up on a sole parents pension (and worked) till I met my partner...so my influence was huge...I instilled morals and respect.......she graduated school yr 12 and by the time she was 19 worked for the minister of environment here in WA...she is now 24 her and her partner just bought there 2nd house.......The sad thing about kids who they hang around is the biggest factor of where they'll end up in society...ie if they hang around trouble they get into it...therefor it is up to us as parents to guide them...I think most on this forum that drink and get on it would have respectful children who'd all be a pleasure to meet(I know mine are)

No offence Cuppa in any way just trying to say,just cause we drink don't mean our kids are shit....

threedogs
3rd January 2014, 01:36 PM
My rules here are DON'T LIE. STEAL OR CHEAT I think its working

Hodge
3rd January 2014, 01:39 PM
That sort of behavior should not be tolerated whatsoever. The excuse that they were under the influence, which quiet often let's them go with a slap on the wrist, is just so f'in ridiculous. This is how a lot of crooks get away with various crimes. The law in this country is so utterly piss weak, it might as well not exist.

I believe there is a far more sinister problem in society, which has been clouded by this alcohol fueled violence thrown across the media. Drugs. The amount of people found on the streets overdosed daily is staggering. Relative is a cop, and has had years of exposure to places like footscray, CBD, st. kilda etc... And he reckons the alcohol is the least of their issues. The violence nurses and doctors in the emergency cop daily, by people under the influence of ice has risen exponentially over the last few years, greatly overshadowing and outnumbering alcohol problems, yet very very little of it is in the media and not much done about it. The stories he has told me, makes one sit back and ask how such things are happening in our streets in this day and age and majority of the population wouldn't have a clue about it.

There is a reason I stopped going out many many years ago, and replaced the concrete jungle ( CBD ) with camping as my getaway. It became not very hard to find trouble that's triggered by people who can't handle a few drinks, and/or drugs in their system. Don't get me wrong, alcohol fueled stupidity is a horrible thing, making people who do have a responsible drink look bad as well. But as my comment above, I think there is a far bigger demon above our heads on our streets day and night.

Cuppa
3rd January 2014, 02:49 PM
No offence Cuppa in any way just trying to say,just cause we drink don't mean our kids are shit....

No offence taken, & I agree with you that parents who drink don't necessarily have shit kids. As you would know, the relationship is everything. If you had not had a good relationship with your kids, they could well have turned out to be alcohol fuelled shits.

You have clearly done a great parenting job in difficult circumstances & from that I would assume you were lucky enough to have been parented well yourself. Not everybody is or can. (Note, I'm just commenting, not expecting you to reveal your life history online!). For folks in that latter group, which is far larger today than in the past, the disproportionate role that alcohol plays in our society can be a real problem.

I am not excusing bad behaviour, I do think that bad behaviour should invite the full force of the law, but I also think we should consider trying to understand the behaviour of others to prevent it becoming an increasing problem to society & it is my view that both poor parenting skills & alcohol are major contributing factors. The shape of our society has changed a great deal over the past 4 or 5 decades. Support from extended family is no longer the norm. Many parents struggle to adequately parent because they have not had the chance to learn how to parent from their own parents. One generation missing out is becomes a multi generational loss. By the time their kids become 'shits' it's too late, the cycle begins again. What is required is more support for parents. Government is never going to be able to provide adequate support. It's a huge problem with no easy answers. Really it is quite amazing that things aren't much worse.
I believe that what is required is a move back to the extended family & a re-valuing of our older generations, but today's employment structures make this difficult, & it may be too late anyway. We have created our own 'lost generations'.

taslucas
3rd January 2014, 03:24 PM
The reason i dont turn into a fighting tuckfard when i drink has nothing to do with how much i drink, where i drink, what time i drink till, who's around me when i drink, what type of alcohol i drink, or even what someone else says to me while im drunk......... it has to do with my parents instilling me with a sense of respect for others and giving me enough intelligence and self worth not to need to be in the attention spotlight like these little ADHD fcukers. I laugh at them and say they cant handle there pi$$..... and yes, ive been hit a few times and from luck i didnt get put in hospital but by good management of my own i didnt get into a fight (even when society tells you to be a man and fight back....)

Stropp
3rd January 2014, 03:35 PM
my saying to my kids when growing up is "will it hurt me, will it hurt someone else, will i get into trouble? if yes dont do it" not sure how well it worked as the young bloke still got into strife but overall has turned out ok,, but i agree there is a total lack of respect for anyone or anything with most kids today.

Clunk
3rd January 2014, 06:03 PM
And that lack of respect has more to do with the lack of discipline this generation have had..... I'm from a family of drinkers and no matter how pissed we've got, we have always shown respect and restraint, even to those that gave shown us none.
All the rights have been taken away by teachers police, parents to give reasonable discipline...... Christ I can't even tell my kids off when they running amok at the shops without some busy body raising a look of disdain...

Yes Cuppa, it is partly to do with parenting but it's more to do with those in society wanting to take the more softly softly approach to how respect is taught........

People who do shit like this are a product of today's soft society. Let parents parent and teachers teach and police police once again.......

Bring back corporal punishment

Cuppa
3rd January 2014, 06:40 PM
I reckon you all make good points. I actually think we are all saying fairly similar things, just in different ways.

NissanGQ4.2
3rd January 2014, 06:50 PM
I believe that what is required is a move back to the extended family & a re-valuing of our older generations

So basically go back to the day when you could give your kid a smack, kick up the arse, whipping with the belt or anything else that tickled the parents fancy at the time for doing wrong or disrespecting there elders.....

x2 on what growlers said, more 2 do with a lack of discipline these days than alcohol. My dad is a non drinker, but my mum would probable drink most of u guys under the table. I was disciplined as a kid when I was up 2 no good, I was raised 2 respect others especially my elders. I still to this day will what a minute or so and hold open a door for anybody that is walking behind me regardless if its a man women or child, to me that's just plain courtesy which is very lacking these days.

Do I smack my children when they do wrong...YES...... even though it frowned upon these days. My partner is all for the naughty chair, if I had my way that chair would be electrified! ( yep unfortunately we don't agree on this subject ).

Am I an alcoholic, maybe..... I have probable 3 beers a day during the week maybe 4 on the weekend, may splurge every now and then and drink a bottle of bourbon in 2 days. I actually don't really care if I am labelled an alcoholic or not.... I smack my children regardless if I have had a few drinks or not......mmm I tend to get more argumentative with the missus after a few drinks but who really cares.

At no point in my drinking do I every get to the stage where I want to go out and punch someone in the head or kick them in the head while there down, even when I was a teen and drank 2 the stage of passing out or in the good old days of smoking pot or taking acid every other night did I get to the stage where I wanted to unleash on a person.

Don't know why anyone wants to close pubs earlier as if that's going to solve anything. Won't they just start drinking earlier or drink a lot quicker......yep makes a lot of sense 2 me......

Any-how's I could go on about this more but my beer is getting warm with all this typing.

Peace out lets go smoke some weed...................... I hear it legal now somewhere in the USA I think it was Colorado...................yeh legal weed and legal guns = FUN FUN FUN.......god I need to move 2 where people are aloud to have fun rather than here were we wrap them up in a cotton ball and if they do wrong its someone else's fault.

Winnie
3rd January 2014, 07:48 PM
People who get angry or violent when they drink should just not drink. I'm a cunny funt when I drunk =)

growler2058
3rd January 2014, 08:00 PM
People who get angry or violent when they drink should just not drink. I'm a cunny funt when I drunk =)

Bit hard to be funny when you're asleep after 3 VB's ;)

Winnie
3rd January 2014, 08:01 PM
Yeah its the second one that makes me funny

NissanGQ4.2
3rd January 2014, 08:01 PM
Bit hard to be funny when you're asleep after 3 VB's ;)

hahahahahaha now that funny

mudnut
3rd January 2014, 08:31 PM
There is a push happening to report in the media a "King Hit" as a "Coward Punch". It might cause a few tools to back off, maybe ...

MudRunnerTD
3rd January 2014, 09:07 PM
I also heard the campaign today about the King Hit being renamed and in future called the COWARD PUNCH. A Person that decides to commit unprovoked malicious Assault on a stranger who happens to be walking the other way is a DOG and SCUM OF SOCIETY. How dare they.

Alcohol has little to do with it I think. That dog has a morose attitude to Violence and will commit this type of violence unprovoked on a weekly / daily basis.

So on New Years Eve a young guy with a nice family was out in Kings Cross walking with friends having a good night seeing in the new year.

Some Farking piece of Sh1t who is highly trained in Mixed Martial Arts combat and a very bad attitude to the World has decided he needs to Hit Someone, maybe cause a girl knocked him back, maybe cause he is bored, maybe because the adrenalin gives him a buzz. Maybe he has had a Drink? Who cares, he does this every weekend. Some of his mates have stopped hanging around because he gets in fights every night, his mates have tried to tell him to settle down, some of his mates stay Sober so they can defend him if he picks the wrong bloke? This like though, HE IS A THUG.

So ol mate from a nice home and a nice family and nice mates and a smile on his face is walking down the street and this Farking Dog swings back and Smashes him in the head with a Train Punch from a Trained Fighter who has been refining that punch on the street his whole life and walks on. The young bloke hits the deck, still has No Idea what happened, might as well have been hit by a train from behind, He may Never Know.

So now the nice boy lays in a Coma with his Nice parents sitting at his bedside hoping they don't have to make the decision to turn their Nice Son off forever. His Mates can do nothing. If he ever wakes he will Never be the same. Ever!

Coincidently, the Nice Boy was Smashed in the face within metres of where another nice Boy was fatally Smashed in the face then stomped on his head then kicked while unconscious only 1 year ago. His nice parents had to turn his life support off within 14 hours. He was 17, he had multiple fractures of the skull, 4 broken ribs, a collapsed lung.

Fuck them. ROT IN HELL!

ATTEMPTED MURDER
MURDER

DOGS.

That Nice Boy could be my Son.

Sorry, rant over.

the ferret
3rd January 2014, 09:22 PM
One King hit, 20 years Gaol, end of story fkem.
Cheers, the ferret

lhurley
3rd January 2014, 09:40 PM
Does alcohol play a part, yea sure. Dutch courage kind of attitude.
Does parenting play a part, sure a hell. These "people" had to have got that attitude from somewhere/someone.

I feel that the media has a lot to blame for this 'epidemic'. We hear all the time that some drunk person did this, some person on drugs did that. Those things do play a role, but end of the day, its the person or should i say f wit, that goes and does these horrible things that is to blame. Why should the person not be held accountable for their actions because they are under the influence??

Hypothetical;
If i hit a random walking down the street while im sober, and unprovoked, thats man slaughter. Why is it not whilst intoxicated?
If i drive my car under the influence, i get a heap of fine, lose my licence, blah blah blah, but how come these people can get away with violence because they are intoxicated?

Could almost say there is a double standard here.

Side note, im 22 so im the same generation. I got raised in a house where drinking was a big thing, still is. But in that same house it was always the wooden spoon smashed across your arse or the dreaded "WAIT TILL YOUR FATHER GETS HOME!!" and not once have a been out on the town and felt the need to ruin a complete strangers life.

NP99
3rd January 2014, 10:39 PM
I also heard the campaign today about the King Hit being renamed and in future called the COWARD PUNCH. A Person that decides to commit unprovoked malicious Assault on a stranger who happens to be walking the other way is a DOG and SCUM OF SOCIETY. How dare they.

Alcohol has little to do with it I think. That dog has a morose attitude to Violence and will commit this type of violence unprovoked on a weekly / daily basis.

So on New Years Eve a young guy with a nice family was out in Kings Cross walking with friends having a good night seeing in the new year.

Some Farking piece of Sh1t who is highly trained in Mixed Martial Arts combat and a very bad attitude to the World has decided he needs to Hit Someone, maybe cause a girl knocked him back, maybe cause he is bored, maybe because the adrenalin gives him a buzz. Maybe he has had a Drink? Who cares, he does this every weekend. Some of his mates have stopped hanging around because he gets in fights every night, his mates have tried to tell him to settle down, some of his mates stay Sober so they can defend him if he picks the wrong bloke? This like though, HE IS A THUG.

So ol mate from a nice home and a nice family and nice mates and a smile on his face is walking down the street and this Farking Dog swings back and Smashes him in the head with a Train Punch from a Trained Fighter who has been refining that punch on the street his whole life and walks on. The young bloke hits the deck, still has No Idea what happened, might as well have been hit by a train from behind, He may Never Know.

So now the nice boy lays in a Coma with his Nice parents sitting at his bedside hoping they don't have to make the decision to turn their Nice Son off forever. His Mates can do nothing. If he ever wakes he will Never be the same. Ever!

Coincidently, the Nice Boy was Smashed in the face within metres of where another nice Boy was fatally Smashed in the face then stomped on his head then kicked while unconscious only 1 year ago. His nice parents had to turn his life support off within 14 hours. He was 17, he had multiple fractures of the skull, 4 broken ribs, a collapsed lung.

Fuck them. ROT IN HELL!

ATTEMPTED MURDER
MURDER

DOGS.

That Nice Boy could be my Son.

Sorry, rant over.

No rant mate, you're spot on the money there....

Hodge
4th January 2014, 07:41 AM
MudRunner got it spot on.
/end thread

taslucas
4th January 2014, 04:41 PM
Just watching the news and they called it a Coward Punch. A good step forward

NP99
4th January 2014, 06:48 PM
Yep, and mates need to stop mates behaving badly.....

Drewboyaus
4th January 2014, 08:13 PM
Yep, and mates need to stop mates behaving badly.....

This ad was from a campaign a few years ago by the Victorian government, there was a whole series of them:
http://youtu.be/3Sl2j_2D2Q4
Quite good I think but I'm not the target demographic.
I have some very strong opinions on this subject that I might properly share when I have time to type it out in front of the PC but suffice it to say that they are represented quite well by BOTH Cuppa and MR.
In a nutshell: I believe it is more often than not related to excessive booze, drugs (often meth and it steroids), energy drinks combined with alchohol (WTF were they thinking, I call these RTD's "fight your mates"), crap parenting (as a result of many factors, not just socio-economic status), glamorised violence through the likes of UFC fights (like fukn animals). It is a serious and complex problem that our society faces but this is of no comfort to that lads family.
It makes my blood boil that it keeps happening. Enough of the rant though, I don't want to punch out a lazy 1500 word essay on the subject via my phone.

EDIT: thought I would add that when I say crap parenting I don't necessarily mean that we should whack our kids. I've smacked my kids from time to time but the longer my parenting has gone the less effective I think this method is and in fact, I was recently shocked at a fellow basketball parents smacking and language with their 2 U10 girls.....a feeling I would never have expected when I began as a parent 10 years ago. I would however not intervene in someone else's discipline as it's a very personal thing. I'm no expert either and still have many years of parenting in front of me to catch up to some of the mums and dads on this forum so who knows.......
Other than we, as a society need to find a way to prevent senseless violence wherever it exists.

NP99
4th January 2014, 09:12 PM
My eldest daughter is 30 and recently told me I raised her and her siblings like mini soldiers. I don't make excuses for that, it worked. All my kids turned out great and are productive members of our society. Having said that I am well aware they are not perfect or angels, but they have a strong moral compass....

NP99
5th January 2014, 10:16 PM
Yet another one this weekend.....

ova50
5th January 2014, 10:35 PM
We have 4 sons, 3 in their 30s and one in his early 20s. All of them no longer live at home, but, everytime we know they are going out, the both of us do worry that they will be ok and wont be on the end of a coward punch.
MudRunner has said it it all, and the both of us agree.
My wife used to work as a care for people with aquired brain injuries, from assaults and accidents.
Bloody heart wrenching for all.
We can not understand why the agressors are often allowed bail, let alone the piss weak sentences the courts deliver!!!!!!!!!!!.

NP99
6th January 2014, 01:16 AM
I share that worry all the time. Last month my son in law was king hit from behind in a pub. The coward broke his leg in 2 places while he was knocked out....

Drewboyaus
6th January 2014, 09:08 AM
Last month my son in law was king hit from behind in a pub. The coward broke his leg in 2 places while he was knocked out....

WTF? What sort of an animal does that? Bloody hell. Hope they got the c@rnt.

NP99
6th January 2014, 09:27 AM
We are awaiting the outcome of the Police investigation. One of the bouncers has ID the low life...

GU CAMPER
6th January 2014, 09:35 AM
I share that worry all the time. Last month my son in law was king hit from behind in a pub. The coward broke his leg in 2 places while he was knocked out....

Hearing of people doing that really gives me the shits. Hope they get the person responsible

Bush Ranger
6th January 2014, 10:28 AM
WTF? What sort of an animal does that? Bloody hell. Hope they got the c@rnt.

Humans, is all I can say.

Shaft10
6th January 2014, 10:28 PM
I've had my brother and my cousin both glasses by complete strangers on different occasions. My cousin was playin wafl footy so it made the news and the bloke got caught. As with my brother the cops did nothing because noone would speak up. All us boys used to hit it pretty hard when we were younger but we rarely fought except when havin a wrestle with each other and would never hit from behind or kick someone when they were down we only ever stood up for ourselves. I was brought up better than that and after having my first kid 2 weeks ago she will be brought up the same. A lot has to do with how ur raised.

93patrol
6th January 2014, 11:24 PM
Another drama is the drugs are more readily available. So mix some speed and heaps of alcohol and get the rush blood and punch on.

I dabbled with speed/whip what ever you wanna call it and it made me jumpy and want to punch on but I had the self control to leave the situation I was in.

That's another thing self control. These clowns have none

mudski
6th January 2014, 11:58 PM
I prefer alcohol fueled sex over alcohol fueled violence. But thats me:1062:

MEGOMONSTER
7th January 2014, 12:09 AM

Your lucky then...........

You don't get any of them.

Lol

NP99
7th January 2014, 08:07 AM

As long as it's not by yourself :)

sil3nt_dr3ams
8th January 2014, 01:50 AM
As long as it's not by yourself :)

If you want a job done properly, do it yourself.