PDA

View Full Version : Extractors & exhaust for 98 4.5 gu advice tb45

Dampies
2nd January 2014, 06:39 PM
Hi guys,
I am looking for best advice before I do my exhaust and headers.

Exhaust I got quoted $1250 with extractors included, but he quoted me $500 for the 2.5 inch exhaust and $750 for the extractors?

I saw on ebay you can get Genie, Pacemaker or Redback extractors all of them prices are -+ $500 each.
But I dont know which one is the best of the lot as the prices are almost the same?

And do they realy make a differance?
I have heard that sometimes the original manifold is better than an aftermarket one?

Let me know what you guys think please.
o, before I forget, I see you can get an KNN filter for them as well, is that any good or should I stay away?

Thank you.

Bigcol
2nd January 2014, 07:26 PM
Genie & Pacemaker are much of a much-ness - almost the same
Red Back - never heard of them - so no comment

you are screwed with being in Gerro, prices are crap for basic things - I got quoted $1500.00 to fit a new clutch in my car - with me supplying the Clutch - lucky I limped home to perth

keep searching Fleabay & Gumtree, and get the extractors, then when your ready - Mettams Mufflers in Midland will do you a good price - have used them a few times, never had a problem
2 1/2 to 2 3/4 will give you what you need for exhaust
you can buy complete systems from Fleabay - but - you need to cut it some to fit the extractors

cheers

Dampies
19th January 2014, 06:40 PM
Thanks mate.

I ordered one of ebay. $250.
Look the same as the rest.
Here is a guy that will do the rest of the exhaust for $500 and that include the fitment of the branch.
So the whole system is going to cost me $750.

And the snorkel is going to be fitted this week as well.
But I saw on the earlier threads that everyone talked about the knn and uni filter but no one replayed and said what there findings were with them.
Think I will go with the knn.
They have been a while around?

Hope some one will reply that walked the path.

Thanks guys.

slamnsam
2nd February 2014, 10:15 AM
redback extractors are ok, but if you have the cash pacemaker and genie will give better midrange torque

BLCGTS
5th February 2014, 12:45 PM
Does it really net much of a gain? I'm considering the same thing but it seems a large outlay on something that may really just be a wank factor...

Anyone with a system fitted got any input?

93patrol
5th February 2014, 12:50 PM
If you can afford to, do it if your engine breathes better you'll get better power and economy. Upgrading intake and exhaust is the cheapest and best thing you can do for your engine

threedogs
5th February 2014, 01:13 PM
Give Scotts Rod a bell they will have the lot and cheaper than what
you have been quoted ,they are a sponsor as well check them out in the Vendors
Best thing to allow all the ponies to breathe
Genie are Crap buy Aussie buy pacemaker

Drewboyaus
5th February 2014, 06:29 PM
Does it really net much of a gain? I'm considering the same thing but it seems a large outlay on something that may really just be a wank factor...

Anyone with a system fitted got any input?

I'm with you!
Is there really much difference in performance between a mandrel bent set of pacemakers and 2.5 inch exhaust system compared to a cheaper press-bent alternative? Is it really just splitting hairs? Is any minor performance difference lost on a tb42/tb45 anyway?
Discuss......

Alitis007
5th February 2014, 10:00 PM
I'm with you!
Is there really much difference in performance between a mandrel bent set of pacemakers and 2.5 inch exhaust system compared to a cheaper press-bent alternative? Is it really just splitting hairs? Is any minor performance difference lost on a tb42/tb45 anyway?
Discuss......

The point of a bigger exhaust is to help the motor breath so in effect making it work easier, as example i fitted a cat back 2.5" mandrel bent zorst with sports mufflers on my mums ef xr6 and it increased her fuel economy. Can't remember the exact figures but last year my parents drove to qld in it with some friends of theirs who were driving a ve commodore and they had the same economy, roughly about 850km to 3/4 of a 65ltr tank running 95ron.

Drewboyaus
6th February 2014, 08:45 PM
The point of a bigger exhaust is to help the motor breath so in effect making it work easier, as example i fitted a cat back 2.5" mandrel bent zorst with sports mufflers on my mums ef xr6 and it increased her fuel economy. Can't remember the exact figures but last year my parents drove to qld in it with some friends of theirs who were driving a ve commodore and they had the same economy, roughly about 850km to 3/4 of a 65ltr tank running 95ron.

Cheers George,
What I meant though was that given the TB42 is hardly a performance engine, will a cheaper set of extractors and exhaust perform pretty much as well as a top shelf mandrel bent system? Would there be a noticeable performance difference between say a set of quality pacemaker extractors and a cheaper press bent set of no-name extractors?
My thoughts are that rather than spend $400+ on a set of pacemakers I could get a cheaper alternative and get 8/10ths of the performance for half the price.......
Or bugger the extractors completely and just change to a hi-flow cat and 2.5inch system. Though I suspect that will only improve the top end and I'd need extractors to improve bottom end and midrange torque.

Alitis007
6th February 2014, 10:16 PM
Cheers George,
What I meant though was that given the TB42 is hardly a performance engine, will a cheaper set of extractors and exhaust perform pretty much as well as a top shelf mandrel bent system? Would there be a noticeable performance difference between say a set of quality pacemaker extractors and a cheaper press bent set of no-name extractors?
My thoughts are that rather than spend $400+ on a set of pacemakers I could get a cheaper alternative and get 8/10ths of the performance for half the price.......
Or bugger the extractors completely and just change to a hi-flow cat and 2.5inch system. Though I suspect that will only improve the top end and I'd need extractors to improve bottom end and midrange torque.

First understand what happens in the exhaust. The factory manifold directs the exhaust gases to the exhaust where extractors do just that, extract the hot gases away from the head.
Being a 6 cylinder you are limited to Tri Y style extractor which are mad for low - mid range torque, the difference in price is in the quality of the steel, ceramic coating and sometimes flange thickness. The more expensive units usually use stainless steel ( 404 i think ) for the headers where the cheaper ones are mild steel, i've seen some cheap headers rust thru the ceramic coating after 6 months lol. The cat back system is the tricky part if you go too big you loose low end torque but gain it up top so you need to find a happy medium. If you have say a 2.25" pipes with press bends from factory, where its pressed the pipes Internal Diameter is now 2" or even 1 7/8", that will increase the back pressure and restrict the motor by bottle necking the flow gases plus the added pressure of the standard baffled mufflers and you can imagine thats the motor has to work a bit to push the exhaust gases out. Now if you had the same 2.25" zorst with mandrel bends and sports muffles the gases don't slow down and flow freely taking some load off the motor. The sport mufflers are generally straight thru and the difference between the cheaper units and the expensive ones are the packing material so a quality sports muffler will be a bit quieter than a cheaper one.

Even tho the TB42 isn't a power house a well set up zorst should unlock roughly 14hp and i'll recommend a quality set of headers and cat because they are usually the most expensive but should last the lifetime of the vehicle, personally i have used Pacemakers and have been happy with the results on my brothers XB 351c and one of my cousins EL Fairlaine 6cyl. If your going to run a cat i would say use a stainless steel 100cpi (cell per squar inch) cat over a 200cpi stainless or stone element cat coz they don't clog up very often even if your motor burns oil. The cat back system is where you gain or loose power, if i wanted more low to mid range torque i'd keep it the original diameter (2.25" i think ???) mandrel bent keeping the intermediate and tailpipe mufflers so it doesn't drone on the freeway, if you wanted a bit more mid to high range then go the 2.5" mandrel with sports muffles again keeping middle and back.

Hope i answered your questions mate coz i rekon i went a bit off track lol

Drewboyaus
6th February 2014, 10:39 PM
@Alitis007
Great stuff George! I don't think it was off track at all. Thanks mate.

Dampies
13th February 2014, 05:35 PM
I bought the extractors off ebay for $250.
And its excellent quality.
I inspected it and its very good quality for the money.
look the same for me as the pacemaker?
It even have that Y form that pacemaker is bragging about.
Just need to get an KNN filter and then I think it should be ok.
I realy cant complain about my 4.5 fuel consumption.

Drewboyaus
16th February 2014, 09:56 AM
Just need to get an KNN filter and then I think it should be ok.

Hi mate,
I just use a Ryco filter in my TB42e and find it heaps easier to clean than the K&N. If I've been driving dusty tracks, it's chockers after half a day and all I need to do is knock (or blow) out the dust and re-fit. I don't think the K&N will give you any better performance.
Cheap as chips too from Repco....