PDA

View Full Version : WHAT,HOW, WHO, GOT YOU INTO 4x4ing & The GREAT OUTDOORS

threedogs
2nd January 2014, 11:56 AM
Just interested in how everyone became involved in 4x4ing and camping.

Winnie
2nd January 2014, 12:02 PM
I was looking for a new car and thought to myself, hmm I might buy a 4WD. And I did.

Jamiepatrol
2nd January 2014, 12:11 PM
I went on a short trip to the high country with a family friend before I even knew what how 4x4s work and it was love at the first sight. Yet to do back to the VHC though. Kook

NewDan
2nd January 2014, 01:35 PM
My Partner has serious knee problems (waiting for a double knee replacement) . One day after lugging the fishing gear down to a beach in Robe/Beachport she is sitting there in pain after walking in the soft sand, a fleet of 4wds drove past right on the beach.... we just looked at each other and said , yep, that's us.
We got home from that trip and set up a jar in the kitchen and a couple of hundred bucks went into it each week. After about 11 months we took the cash out and bought our first GQ. Its a couple of years on now and we have just purchased a GU (still have the GQ). Now we are so into 4wds and camping every chance we get. Knee replacement happens this May and from that point on it will be full on... even planning to do the Simpson next year.
Dan

Bloodyaussie
2nd January 2014, 02:47 PM
Through shooting.... years of drought was not a problem to get around with my 2 wheel drive then the rains kicked in 6 years ago and was getting bogged all the time and had to ask for help from the farmer.

Stropp
2nd January 2014, 05:03 PM
originally i used to go shooting and fishing with a mate and then i bought one myself, i sold it eventually and then my son wanted to do more camping etc so i bought another.

Bigcol
2nd January 2014, 05:19 PM
way back in the dim dark past - the 60's & 70's, my Father was in the Army, so there was usually a series Landrover in the driveway - the occasional Mark III or Mark V truck (not sure of the make - I was a kid....)
really started to be interested in Camping as well as Off Road when he was posted to New Guinea - again series Landrovers & the occasional Jeep
always went away for camping trips as long as I can remember really
have been doing it ever since......

cheers

Hodge
2nd January 2014, 05:25 PM
I bought a D22 as a every day car, because every other man and his dog around me was buying a dual cab ute. Soon enough I started adding bits and pieces to it, and next thing you know I'm out bush and stuff and subscribing to 4WD action. And because me and the wife travel around all the time anyway, with a 4x4 addition we could go places previously unknown. So that way pieces sort of fell in place.
And here I am.

TPC
2nd January 2014, 05:42 PM
When I was a kid and teenager I was always going fishing, would go to Port Noarlunga and Rapid Bay and fish of the jetties and occasionally sneak onto the Port Stanvac Warf until the security guards would chase us.
When I was 15 an older friend bought an old 40 series cruiser and we started going to Deep Creek Conservation Park to fish at Blowhole Beach, the track back then was really rough and not maintained and I was hooked immediately.
It was some years before I bought my first 4WD but used to take my Datsun 1600 and HX Kingswood to go bush camping in various places including Blowhole Beach and never needed assistance at any time.
When I finally got a 4WD it opened up lots more places to explore.

growler2058
2nd January 2014, 05:50 PM
I was born in Australia, so it came naturally :)

Avo
2nd January 2014, 07:28 PM
carton of beer and someone willing to sell there old crank start landrover(mate bought it),started driving in the bush and beaches down here,fell in love...then went to town to by a drill came home with a hilux dual cab with a 253 and 4 speed for 1200 bucks.......never been without one since,

Avo
2nd January 2014, 07:29 PM
I was born in Australia, so it came naturally :)

you where born a boy so everything came naturally growler.....bhaaaaaa

Chubba
2nd January 2014, 07:43 PM
When we were kids Mum and Dad didn't have a lot of money so all holidays were camping trips to somewhere in SA or Vic and if we were lucky south NSW. Dad made all of our camping gear himself and there was six kids so there was a lot of it. As adults all of us kids believe that those camping memories are some of the strongest and most cherished of our lives. So I still love to get out there. When I was 17 I joined the army reserves in an artillery unit and it wasn't long before I was driving the trucks that towed the guns in the bush. After driving a six wheel drive International truck threw the bush its hard to shake, and knew then that I would be doing this for the rest of my life. After leaving the army a few years later I bought my Maverick and kept it for ten years till I bought my current GU. Nothing better than getting out there.

Cuppa
2nd January 2014, 08:29 PM
Grew up with an appreciation for outdoor life. Dad was a professional gun dog trainer & part time gamekeeper so most family friends were folks off the land. Rode motorcycles for 40 years & the rally scene was a big part of that, always tented it. Always loved the ‘trad’ rallies. Small, bonfire, mates communal eating & drinking & a good time. Came to Oz with the dream of travelling around. Bigger trips took a while to happen, but we always enjoyed ‘going bush’ whenever we could. Still tenting it with whatever car we had for years, but often taking off road bikes of some sort with us. Annual holidays - set up camp out bush with provisions for two or three weeks, just us & nature. About 23 years ago we moved out of the city, & 18 years ago we move to our bush property. 30kms from nearest town with mainly just hills & trees between it & us. Less reason to go camping ‘cos we are where we want to be. Had an old land rover ute for a while & a 4wd quad. Camping got a bit more ‘comfortable when I converted a bus. Toured Australia for 18 months in it, including plenty of places 2wd vehicles aren’t supposed to go. High clearance is good. Have never really got into 4x4ing just for the sake of it, but when touring previously I always looked at the 4wd’s utes with canvas canopies all dust & mud covered, coming out of roads & tracks we weren’t game to take the bus down enviously. Would always say to MrsTea “That’s what we need”. Now we have one & are making plans to travel full time with either the bus or the Patrol as the fancy takes us, with the Patrol being to take us to all the places the bus can’t go, & then some.
When the spirit is low getting out among the trees, always helps, & nothing better than sitting around a camp fire.

Chris79
2nd January 2014, 09:16 PM
My parents bought a 4x4 and 18' caravan and used to take us up to the high country every easter from the age of 4. A full day or 2 of that was always on the tracks up to places like the bluff/lovicks or to the slate mine out from Jamison. By the age of 14 I had done most of the major 4x4 routes including the cape and still did our annual easter trip to sheepyard flat. At 16 I got my L's and started offroading with dad instructing. Not many L platers can say they had the sort of experiences I did, even did the big dunes at the robe buggy club lol. At 18 I got my P's and my first car was of course a 4x4.

Avo
2nd January 2014, 09:21 PM
My parents must have been poor,they only drove valiants...

Stropp
3rd January 2014, 01:03 AM
My parents must have been poor,they only drove valiants...

That's the ding in you lol

james008
3rd January 2014, 03:05 AM
My dad bought 2 Rangies, then a disco, then a 100 series, then a GU.
I grew up around 4wd's and grew to love them, when dad got the GU I knew I wanted a Patrol and I eventually got myself an MK.... I've now owned 4 MQ and MK's. Still have a soft spot for the old Rangies though, great shape and that V8 makes an awesome note.

dads tractor
3rd January 2014, 06:01 AM
Are you serious they make non 4x4 vehicles ! Born and breed in Alice Springs so was always surrounded by 4b's and Dad would take us out as kids trapping rabbits and camping .My first trip to the Rock was when I was 12 mths old in the late 50s' and the caretaker was a bloke called Bill Harney (Google him interesting bloke ) so always loved the bush .

Bob
3rd January 2014, 06:38 AM
I was taught to Drive at the age of about 8 in a Willeys Jeep.
I would drive the Jeep whilst Dad fed the Sheep from the Trailer.
Had to stand up to Drive as my legs weren't long enough LMAO

Introduced to Nissan Patrols by a mate when we first went Deer Stalking in the King Valley about 1988.
Have driven most of the High Country and never miss the opportunity of going back up there.
Have had about 6 Nissan Patrols in my time.
Don't tell Andy but I have a soft spot for the GQ's (Look tough and they bloody are)

Maxhead
3rd January 2014, 06:45 AM
I was taught to Drive at the age of about 8 in a Willeys Jeep.

WOW, Did they have cars, when you were 8??? Hahaha, sorry Bob couldn't resist

Bob
3rd January 2014, 06:46 AM
WOW, Did they have cars, when you were 8??? Hahaha, sorry Bob couldn't resist

They had Pedals as the Combustion Engine had not been invented then. LOL

SonOf
3rd January 2014, 04:45 PM
Bought my first 4x4 when I was 21, 2.4ltr diesel hilux single cab. Was a great car and used it to get to fishing spots in the snowies and up north. Most of my mates had 4x4,s so we used to get away camping as well. Had it for a number of years before I sold it and baught a sedan for work as I was repping. Didn't get another one till I moved here which was my 3ltr GU and now my 4.2 GU.

93patrol
3rd January 2014, 10:09 PM
my Dad always had 4wds since i can remember and we always used to go up to Wedge Island (north of Lancelin) as we had a shack up there until i was 15, then when i got an apprenticeship as a chippy i thought i need a ute and i like to go offroad- surfing and fishing so brought a 93 hzj75 series was alright for a bit until my brother decided to go around a MX track at a mates farm and jump it and break it.

so i saved my bikkies and a 93 patrol coil cab ute popped up with all the fruit i wanted on it at the time 10 years ago so i brought it and only just recently swapped it for a gq wagon with everything i wanted on it as well due to having my little princess. funnily we just came back from a mini holiday to Donnelley River and the wagon was packed to the hilt and was comfy as and drove like a dream

tracemul7
4th January 2014, 08:48 PM
Moved from England to Australia in 2007. Made friends through work in 2008 and they invited us camping in 2009. We took our Mitsubishi Lancer and borrowed a tent and a lot of stuff to 'give it a go' - and loved it!

In 2010 we bought our first patrol (1997 GQ 2.8td man with 385,000km), and invested in some decent camping kit.
Since then we've travelled all round SA with the same friends and more we have made - including bush camping and 4x4 tracks. From 44 degrees to -2 degrees, with rain, hail, sun and wind!

In 2013 we sold our GQ with 415,000km - and still going strong - and bought a newer patrol (2006 GU 3.0td man with 139,000km) and looking forward to may more trips :)

Tank
5th January 2014, 06:05 AM
We always camped can't remember not camping. Mum once told me I was 1 when I first went camping and my daughters were all camping before 1 (youngest was 2 months old). As for the 4x4 they were always work vehicles I grew up in and around the country so they were everywhere and then worked in the forestry before joining the army so they played a large part in that

FNQGU
5th January 2014, 07:39 AM
Grew up going fishing and hunting with Dad in an old Nissan Patrol G-60 ute with the punt on the roof. Bought a SWB 45 series as my first car, then for years had to settle for a Pajero as the family came along. Work vehicles have always been 4WD's (Troopy's, 100 series and the odd 79 series ute) until one day work gave me a well set up 99 model 4.2TD GU UTE and canopy, and I loved it. Except for the bloody aircon that would keep cutting out when it was too hot! It was only after i changed jobs that I decided the Paj had to go and I got back to a GU with camping/touring and fishing always being in the front of my mind.