PDA

View Full Version : 3.0 DI boost figures and Towing

Mont
1st January 2014, 06:41 PM
Hi just fitted boost gauge to my wagon 2004 Di Auto and took it down the beach for a run tyres deflated as required noticed boost levels at 15psi steadily in heavy sand ? is this normal ?also looking at towing horses with this machine but a bit reluctant as i feel performance isnt there ? not sure if i should persist with mods such as exhaust etc Ive done Boost and Pyro and catch can. when mudski gets back ill fit the dawes and needle. Just wondering if TD42 might have been the machine i was after in towing 2 horses? Any ideas or thoughts welcome

Cheers Mont

2004 wagon 3.0 tdi auto NADS half fitted

boots
1st January 2014, 08:14 PM
You have the same model as me Mont . Dawes valve a great thing . I have the beaudesert 2 .3/4 inch exhaust fitted to mine, made a large difference to the 4B. How is your intercooler by the way , that was the first thing shot on mine and they all seem to fail eventually by the reports on here . I don't have any regrets modding mine infact it has improved the 4B greatly , driveability and fuel economy and egt temps way down. Goodluck with the decisions you make for the future .

Mont
1st January 2014, 09:03 PM
Thanks mate the intercooler was leaking and I replaced it with a welded one it seems much better, I think the exhaust will be beneficial as well from your report.

mudski
1st January 2014, 09:06 PM
Anytime you are heavy on the foot mate your boost will top out. When 8 tow my camper, maybe 1.3t loaded, my boost rarely gets of 20psi. Unless im coasting down a hill. A TD42T would be better I reckon. But at a cost.

Mont
1st January 2014, 10:19 PM
Thanks Mudski do you think hanging at or around 20psi is sustainable given the concerns of overboost? or is that ok will the dawes set the upper maximum limit of boost? also looked at MAF the other day bit smokey in there think the catch can is a priority ...got one coming. Still need to get the Dawes/needle etc off you some time soon.

boots
1st January 2014, 10:37 PM
Mine would go into limp at 18 if it stayed up there . Set max 17 and seems to hover around 15 normally so it only spikes to 17 now. It seems good to me . no issues .

threedogs
2nd January 2014, 08:09 AM
Same with Boots you don't need /want big boost in the 3ltr Di motors, IMO 15psi tops would be what you're after.
Search up on Chaz yellowfoot and all will be clear

mudski
2nd January 2014, 09:56 PM
Thanks Mudski do you think hanging at or around 20psi is sustainable given the concerns of overboost? or is that ok will the dawes set the upper maximum limit of boost? also looked at MAF the other day bit smokey in there think the catch can is a priority ...got one coming. Still need to get the Dawes/needle etc off you some time soon.
Well my Dawes is set so it won't go over 20psi. I don't think 20psi is enough to damage the engine TBH considering these engines are capable of doing over 25psi without limiting the boost with a dawes. It might be more wear on the turbo if anything...Bloody goes like chit off a chrome shovel now...

PATROL KING
3rd January 2014, 08:31 AM
Well my Dawes is set so it won't go over 20psi. I don't think 20psi is enough to damage ...Bloody goes like chit off a chrome shovel now...

But for how long.... tick, tick,tick,tick,tick boom

threedogs
3rd January 2014, 08:35 AM
Think that defeats the purpose of fitting a Dawes in the first place.
Mine tops out at 15psi and very spritely if I say so

mudski
3rd January 2014, 09:51 AM
Think that defeats the purpose of fitting a Dawes in the first place.
Mine tops out at 15psi and very spritely if I say so
No it doesn't. The dawes is there to stop the massive fluctuations by limiting the boost pressure, how much boost pressure is up to the user. I was and most still say and use 15-16psi as thats as much as you could go before hitting limp mode. You couldn't go any higher. But if you can its a different story. I will be fitting up a two stage controller soon too so I can have two different settings on the fly.
I will add that the pin from the grenade getting pulled is not from high boost, its from high cylinder temps, usually from boost fluctuations, no EGR block, and then from high speed and too low boost which in turn increases the cylinder temps. Higher boost as everyone knows equates to lower EGT's.

Getting off topic anyhow, continuous high boost I don't is an issue for the OP. I tow my camper it's very reluctant to go up any big hills. I can sit on 100-110k fine on the flat but if I approach any kind on incline, even if its small, the car does slow down. So if your o.k with that, I am to a point, your all good. If not the TB48 would be better for towing that anything. But you can literally watch the fuel gauge drop whilst driving and towing too.

ThomasWatson
11th January 2014, 02:16 PM
hey guys sorry to interrupt i only just purchased my 3.0lt diesel gu and was wondering what is the best mod for more torque and power?