PDA

View Full Version : Remote Aid Post solar donation

FNQGU
31st December 2013, 08:50 PM
Hey guys, I am looking at trying to donate and set up a really basic solar setup in a remote aid post in the New Guinea Highlands near where I work. They need some simple lighting and enough power to run a fridge to keep vaccines, nothing flash. Seems like the same or similar set up that many of us would run in our trucks to keep the beer cold.

I haven't yet played much with solar, but have read a bit on this and other forums about the topic. I'm after your thoughts on the following setup.

4 x 80W panels or similar
MPPT solar regulator
2 x 120Ahr AGM batteries paralleled, if I can get them.
LED strip lights or similar
12V chest fridge, maybe even a Trailblaza if I can get one here.

I'd probably try to set the batteries, Regulator and some switches up in a locked steel cabinet so they stand a chance of not being stolen.

Am I on track here or should I seek help from a pro?

the evil twin
31st December 2013, 10:18 PM
Do you get enough soalr hours per day at the location? My recollection of the few times I have been (flown) over the highlands was of cloud and lots of it.

Can you get LPG in to the site? If so then i would go that way and use the Solar as a back up. If not then yeah you are on the right track if it is a small fridge and I would go for an Engel as the sawafuji compressor uses less power.

I wouldn't parallel the batteries. I am a BIG believer in redundancy so i would have 2 redundant setups.

If your budget stretches to it I would use Lithium Phosphate batteries. They are heaps better for that type of application than Lead Acid but about 2 to 3 times the price however will last 5 to 10 times longer

Best of luck stopping the kit from growing legs tho...

FNQGU
1st January 2014, 04:17 AM
Yeah the place is cloudy for sure. Getting LPG or diesel is pretty bloody difficult though and maybe just too unreliable. Thanks for the comments, I'll do some more research when home and see how I go.

the evil twin
1st January 2014, 12:46 PM
Yeah the place is cloudy for sure. Getting LPG or diesel is pretty bloody difficult though and maybe just too unreliable. Thanks for the comments, I'll do some more research when home and see how I go.

Is it windy at all?

A combination of a small wind turbine and a smaller solar array for the "when the sun don't show the wind will blow" conditions

BillsGU
1st January 2014, 08:44 PM
I agree with ET - don't parallel the batteries. If you get a Morning Star regulator (made in WA I think) it has two separate outputs - similar to a dual charging set up in a 4B. That way you could charge each battery independantly and have one for back up if the first one dies. Unless things have changed since I worked there you will have to put the steel cabinet inside a steel cabinet and sleep on top of them. Still not a guarantee they won't walk. As far as cloud goes, I am always amazed at how little sun light it takes to charge the caravan battery. Even on an overcast day I have always had the battery at full charge by the end of the day.

Where is the place you are setting this up?

FNQGU
3rd January 2014, 07:41 AM
Ok, good thinking. I'll have a look at the Morningstar gear.

This aid post is at a place called Para, close to where I am working in the Hela Province.

BillsGU
3rd January 2014, 04:28 PM
Spent a lot of time up there. Never been to Para as far as I'm aware. Did spend time in Mt Hagen and Tari - I think Para is around there somewhere. I have used a Morning Star for a few years and have never had a problem. What's it like getting the items to Para? Can you fly them in or do they have to get there by road?

FNQGU
3rd January 2014, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

What's it like getting items to Para? Like getting my wife to say I can take off on a second fishing trip this year whenever I feel like it…

If it wasn't for our work location being nearby, Para might as well be on the moon, but there are worse and more remote places not that far away.

Anyway, to get items there, I have to either brave the highway from Lae (~650klms) or fly it in. Either option is not cheap.

However… I think it can be done if I keep it really basic. Might now base things on 2 x 120W solar panels, a decent MPPT regulator with some sort of digital readout on it, and a 120Ahr or 150Ahr AGM battery or two.

I somehow need to add in a simple 240V AC charger as a back up for a generator power source. Maybe a 25A charger. Not sure. There is a 5Kva genset nearby that could be roped in on occasion. At most they can run it for about 2 hours, once or twice a week due to lack of diesel.

FNQGU
3rd January 2014, 10:13 PM
Is it windy at all?

A combination of a small wind turbine and a smaller solar array for the "when the sun don't show the wind will blow" conditions

Sorry mate, I didn't reply to you on this - no, it isn't windy up there. Just cloudy. Still some sun each day though, and I think solar can be done with a reasonable degree of success.