PDA

View Full Version : LawnBowls Intro

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 10:15 PM
Hi, my name is Gary .... from Munruben in Queensland ... just outside of Brisbane area....just bought a Nissan Patrol 2001 GU 3 litre diesel .... looking at what to add to her (or him when he muscles up)..ha ha ha ... my poor humour.
Looking for advice for a first timer into 4 x 4 ... yep completely novice ... have just joined Nissan Patrol club in Brisbane

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 10:18 PM
Hi Tim, I play bowls on Tamborine Mountain ... you live top or bottom of the mountain?

AB
25th January 2011, 10:22 PM
Hi Gary, I made this your own thread so others can see it better and welcome you to the forum.

Feel free to ask any questions mate and join in the conversations.

It was your birthday a few days ago wasn't it???

patch697
25th January 2011, 10:22 PM
Welcome on board mate & I hope you enjoy the forum.

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 10:26 PM
Hi AB, man you are on the ball .... I am still getting used to using a computer let alone a "forum" ... having a few issues getting to learn it... I am an ole bugger (59 last Friday) ... yes it was my birthday ... still fighting off 60 ...

Woof
25th January 2011, 10:26 PM
Welcome Gary, enjoy the forum mate and your new toy, great to hear that you have joined a 4x4 Club as it is the best way to learn about these great machines.
Any questions you have just ask.

Woof
25th January 2011, 10:27 PM
You beauty, another one older than mehttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 10:28 PM
Hi Patch 697 .... Gary is the name ... I am a lawnbowler as you possibly guessed by the username ... thanks for the welcome...

AB
25th January 2011, 10:29 PM
Hi AB, man you are on the ball .... I am still getting used to using a computer let alone a "forum" ... having a few issues getting to learn it... I am an ole bugger (59 last Friday) ... yes it was my birthday ... still fighting off 60 ...

All good mate, if your stuck or can't work anything out just post up something at the very bottom section of the forum "Forum Help section" and someone will help you out mate.

60's is the new 40's these days isn't it...haha, get amongst it mate, we're a friendly bunch so ask anything.

Finly Owner
25th January 2011, 10:30 PM
Hi Tim, I play bowls on Tamborine Mountain ... you live top or bottom of the mountain?

Bottom Gary, and been looking for someone to invite me to a social club of bowls.
Welcome to Nissans Nut House, what club did you join?

Tim

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 10:30 PM
Het The Dogman, man how do you get around this forum so quickly ..... flat out with one finger is me .... thanks for the welcome....

Woof
25th January 2011, 10:33 PM
Het The Dogman, man how do you get around this forum so quickly ..... flat out with one finger is me .... thanks for the welcome....

Just takes a while but it will be easier mate as you go, just call me Doggy everyone else does and it is less letters to type...lol

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 10:34 PM
Hi Tim ..... if you are ever looking for a social intro to bowls you have met the right man .... just drop me a note when yu are up to it ... I can meet you up the mountain...
I am the founder of Premier League Lawn Bowls in Queensland ... I know most of the Clubs in the South East of QLD ... so a social game anywhere is not an issue ....

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 10:35 PM
Hi AB.... thanks mate .... am I the oldest in the forum ...

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 10:38 PM
Hi Doggy ... thanks for that .... Mandurah,,,,, where is that close to ... BALI???... probably closer than Briz

AB
25th January 2011, 10:40 PM
Hi AB.... thanks mate .... am I the oldest in the forum ...

No I think Bob is our oldest member at 69.

Roofy is another member who is 61

ColT is about 67 I think

You must be feeling better now mate....haha

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 10:41 PM
Tim, visited City View 4 x 4 Camping Park at Bromelton .... last Sunday .... the drive in was great intro for me ... i need to do a course first

DX grunt
25th January 2011, 10:41 PM
G'day Gary. Welcome to the forum and happy birthday for the other day.

Plenty of Qlders to help you.

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 10:42 PM
thanks buddy .... made my day ... i was getting depressed thinkimg of next birthday

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 10:45 PM
Thanks DX Grunt .... I am brand new so hoping to learn from the masters???

DX grunt
25th January 2011, 10:48 PM
thanks buddy .... made my day ... i was getting depressed thinkimg of next birthday

One of our moderators, Paul (Patch697) is the guru for plastic keyboard and monitor covers.

Sit back, relax, and keep that coffee away from the keyboard when you're reading.

I know it's early stages for you on this forum, but take the time to read a few of the threads.
They are quite hillarious.

Some people can't type when they've had a few drinks, others can't string a sentence together. lol
Others stay up too late, others go to bed before sunset.

Feel free to have your say, and please, don't be a stranger. It's a great network.

Take care out there.

Ross

PS: I forgive you if you drink 4x. lolol

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 10:52 PM
Hey Ross .... nothing to forgive my man ,,,, I AM A BUNDI RUM AND COKE man .... great talking with ya..

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 10:54 PM
Hey Ross ..... I am a marketing guy for a Coffee Company .... sitting here with a BUNDI and a CAPPUCCINO ....trying to type while I sip... ha ha

YNOT
25th January 2011, 10:55 PM
Hey Ross .... nothing to forgive my man ,,,, I AM A BUNDI RUM AND COKE man .... great talking with ya..

Looks like I'll have to keep an eye on my bottle of rum around the camp fire then!

Tony

wildgu6
25th January 2011, 10:55 PM
Hey Gary, welcome aboard buddy.
Great forum to be involved in.
Heaps of great people with lots of knowledge and adventures to share.
Plenty of laughs along the way as well.

Happy Birthday for last week buddy :bday:
Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride.

Cheers Pete

DX grunt
25th January 2011, 10:56 PM
Hey Ross ..... I am a marketing guy for a Coffee Company .... sitting here with a BUNDI and a CAPPUCCINO ....trying to type while I sip... ha ha

Naughty boy. That's a conflict of interest. lol

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 10:58 PM
Whats yours is mine ... whats mine is mine .....thats the BUNDI I mean!!!!!! Gazza

Woof
25th January 2011, 10:59 PM
Well Gary you have certainly joined the forum with guns a blazing mate, well done and again welcomehttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 11:00 PM
Hi Pete ... thanks for the welcome.... I was recently in your neck of the woods playing bowls ....

YNOT
25th January 2011, 11:00 PM
Were you at the Patrol Club meeting last Monday?

Tony

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 11:01 PM
Ross, only one conflict mate .... getting low on the bundi ..... bugger

DX grunt
25th January 2011, 11:02 PM
Ross, only one conflict mate .... getting low on the bundi ..... bugger

I'm just about to take delivery of a 95lt fridge/freezer for DX and I'll let you share of some of my cold storage so you don't run out. lol

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 11:03 PM
Thanks mate getting into the swing .... the bundi and caffiene is helping

YNOT
25th January 2011, 11:03 PM

You think this is fast, wait until we start sending PM's at the same time!

Tony

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 11:04 PM
Yeh yeh yeh .... great for you .... 95 ltr ... who do you feed ... an army??

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 11:05 PM
Whats a PM? is it like post menstrual stuff????

YNOT
25th January 2011, 11:06 PM

Not quite, PM=private message.

Tony

DX grunt
25th January 2011, 11:06 PM

Isn't pure innocence beautiful.... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Finly Owner
25th January 2011, 11:08 PM
Gary I think you should come along to a real 4WD club Feb 21. You can come with me as a guest if you like. Tony is a member there too.

Tim

AB
25th January 2011, 11:09 PM
If you click on someones name it gives you options to do other things like send a private message, etc...

If you see anyone who puts this "lol" after a sentence it means "Laughing Out Loud"....It's just a quick way to let someone know your joking or you find something funny.

Thought you better know that as this forum is full of "LOL" symbols and you may be thinking what the???

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 11:10 PM
Hi Tim & Tony .... I joined the Nissan Patrol club last Monday at Mt Gravatt showgrounds ..... what club are yu talking about??? Logan City 4 x 4??

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 11:12 PM
Thanks for that AB .... I was seriosly getting worruied ... I use this when I say Lots of Love ..... can I tell yu I wasnt feeling that in this forum ... love that is ... ha ha ha
Man yu cleared that up for me thanks...

YNOT
Tim and I were both at that meeting. I had the 14 month old kid that kept running around everyone while they were sitting down.

Tony

Woof
Just started Page 5 on your intro in less than one hour Gary, well done mate

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 11:13 PM
How do you refresh the page ..??

Woof
25th January 2011, 11:14 PM
Thanks for that AB .... I was seriosly getting worruied ... I use this when I say Lots of Love ..... can I tell yu I wasnt feeling that in this forum ... love that is ... ha ha ha
Man yu cleared that up for me thanks...

Are we are very friendly here Gary...LOL

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 11:15 PM
Ahhh right ... did yu have back pack on??? I was sitting centre row near the aisle ....ditting next to a guy whos wife was on the computer.... I put my name down for the PAD .... sorry DAP .. for this weekend at Samford

Finly Owner
25th January 2011, 11:15 PM
Hi Tim & Tony .... I joined the Nissan Patrol club last Monday at Mt Gravatt showgrounds ..... what club are yu talking about??? Logan City 4 x 4??

Well then you would have seen us, Tony had his two little boys there(he's the lanky one) and his wife(Rebecca) and I was the one who spoke about the gear for flood clean ups being hard to hire at moment.

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 11:16 PM
Thanks "doggy" gee now I am worried... ha ha

Finly Owner
25th January 2011, 11:18 PM
to refresh just hit "what's new" tab

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 11:18 PM
Gotcha mate ... now I can say hi next meeting ... I am the old guy grey hair and grey moustache .... cant miss me .... ha ha ha

AB
25th January 2011, 11:20 PM
Try finding one of these buttons at the very top of your computer screen....Outside the blue forum part, right at the top and click that.

1903 1904

YNOT
25th January 2011, 11:20 PM
Another tip for you Gary, with threads like this that are moving quickly, if you want to respond to a particular post click the "reply with quote" button, then put your response under that. Can get a bit confusing otherwise.

Tony

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 11:21 PM
Gotcha ... thanks AB ... but mine is blue not green .... I am a dumb arse!!!

Finly Owner
25th January 2011, 11:21 PM
Another tip for you Gary, with threads like this that are moving quickly, if you want to respond to a particular post click the "reply with quote" button, then put your response under that. Can get a bit confusing otherwise.

Tony
like this Gary

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 11:22 PM

Tony

Youre not wrong ... thanks mate....

AB
25th January 2011, 11:24 PM
Gotcha ... thanks AB ... but mine is blue not green .... I am a dumb arse!!!

Atleast you asked rather than sitting back not knowing, not dumb at all mate!

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 11:26 PM
How do I add my photo or "avatar" big word for me...

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 11:27 PM
Atleast you asked rather than sitting back not knowing, not dumb at all mate!

Thanks AB .... which state is Yarra Glen ... I am guessing Victoria ..??

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 11:30 PM
Hi Guys if you are still there ..... what UHF is recommended ... I was thinking that next so that I can at least communicate when on the training course etc

AB
25th January 2011, 11:31 PM
Thanks AB .... which state is Yarra Glen ... I am guessing Victoria ..??

Yes, north east side of Victoria.

AB
25th January 2011, 11:33 PM
Hi Guys if you are still there ..... what UHF is recommended ... I was thinking that next so that I can at least communicate when on the training course etc

Click this link below mate It's another post about UHF radios and what members use and what they say about them

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?675-UHF-radio&highlight=radios

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 11:34 PM
Thanks mate......

YNOT
25th January 2011, 11:35 PM
A hand held will get you through the DAP, but any of the Uniden, GME, Icom brands are good. For ease of mounting either a remote face unit or one where the controls are on the microphone are good. The UHF band is changing from 40 channel to 80 channel so it's probably worthwhile getting a unit that can access all 80 channels.

Tony

Finly Owner
25th January 2011, 11:37 PM
Ebay can get you good 2nd handies.

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 11:44 PM
A hand held will get you through the DAP, but any of the Uniden, GME, Icom brands are good. For ease of mounting either a remote face unit or one where the controls are on the microphone are good. The UHF band is changing from 40 channel to 80 channel so it's probably worthwhile getting a unit that can access all 80 channels.

Tony

Thanks Tony .... just jumped over to the radio forum page thingy .... its all double dutch to me ... 3db 6db 9db bla blas .... got lost in the terminology ... what does it mean to me 40 as opposed to 80 channel??

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 11:45 PM
Ebay can get you good 2nd handies.

Thanks mate ..... what would yu recommend I look at

lawnbowls
25th January 2011, 11:50 PM
Good Night everyone ..... thank you so much for your welcome and all your advice .... my rum is gone ... my nanna nap is calling... great to meet you on forum ... I look foward to more chats or whatever yu call it..... my mother once said to me ..

"If its to be ... its up to me" goodnight ...

patch697
25th January 2011, 11:59 PM
Top effort mate it looks like your going to enjoy yourself here & thats what its all about.

Cheers
Paul

Finly Owner
26th January 2011, 12:00 AM
Thanks Tony .... just jumped over to the radio forum page thingy .... its all double dutch to me ... 3db 6db 9db bla blas .... got lost in the terminology ... what does it mean to me 40 as opposed to 80 channel??
The old and still used sets have 40 useable channels(frequencies) it's going to 80 channels. You will know how these work later. But all you will need to know is how to turn it on, set to channel, set your squelch, and whether it has a repeater button or extra channel to allow for repeater use.

This repeater is much the same as a mobile phone tower repeater. Say Channel 1 for instence, it has a repeater at Mt Cotton(when it's turned on). If you don't use the repeater, from Buccan on a 9db aerial you can get to slcks ck clearly. But using the repeater you can make it to Zillmere(no joke, I used to). The seller should be able to discuss this with you or Tony or myself may be able to help you more in person. You can come down and see mine. as for db's have a look at this:

Finly Owner
26th January 2011, 12:03 AM
Good Night everyone ..... thank you so much for your welcome and all your advice .... my rum is gone ... my nanna nap is calling... great to meet you on forum ... I look foward to more chats or whatever yu call it..... my mother once said to me ..

"If its to be ... its up to me" goodnight ...

Night Gary , glad to have you here , look forward to chattin, and as for UHF I'd stick with Uniden.

BTW were you the one on the phone to president for 3 hours. LOL

YNOT
26th January 2011, 12:10 AM

Good night Gary.

3db, 6db etc refers to the aerials gain, which basically means it's transmit/recieve pattern. See the image below, it explains it a lot better than I can.

40 channel UHF radios have their channels evenly spaced within a certain frequency range. The newer 80 channel units operate within the same frequency range but have the extra 40 channels in between the original 40 channels, I hope that makes sense.
As a user it means you have a much better chance of finding a clear channel.

Just to confuse you even more, on the current 40 channel UHF band channels 1 - 8 are repeater channels, so you only use these when you want to access a repeater. A repeater is a base station that picks up your signal, amplifies it and retransmits it to increase the range of transmission. BUT, when you use a repeater you utilize the duplex feature on your UHF, where it automatically transmits on say channel 1, but recieves on channel 31. 2 & 32, 3 & 33 etc. So you should NEVER choose channels 30 - 38 for general transmission.
So now your 40 channel UHF only actually has 24 general transmission (or simplex) channels. Of those 24 channels building sites, trucking companies, traffic controllers etc all have their chosen channels and it starts to get a bit crowded. The benefits of an extra 40 channels is obvious. The second pic should help explain how duplex and repeaters work. If you click on the attached thumbnails it will enlarge them.

Have I thoroughly confused you yet?

Tony

Maxhead
26th January 2011, 07:19 AM
G'Day Gary, welcome to the forum mate.
Great start with over 70 posts on your intro...

NissanGQ4.2
26th January 2011, 09:03 AM
How do I add my photo or "avatar" big word for me...

Hi Gary, Welcome 2 the forum mate, here is a link to your question, hope it helps

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2107-How-to-edit-your-Avatar-and-Profile-Picture&highlight=avatar

Any problems just yell out and someone will help you out.

Cheers

Todd

Dhuck
26th January 2011, 10:17 AM
Damn what an intro thread. Welcome to the forum Gary. Good to have another local onboard

Bob
26th January 2011, 10:20 AM
Welcome Gary from the apparent oldest member (although some might not be telling their Age).
Have not taken up Lawn Bowls yet as I believe it is a dangerous Sport. Something to do with having the highest death rate whilst participating. LOL
All jokes aside congrats on your intro and enjoy

Finly Owner
26th January 2011, 11:14 PM
Good night Gary.

3db, 6db etc refers to the aerials gain, which basically means it's transmit/recieve pattern. See the image below, it explains it a lot better than I can.

40 channel UHF radios have their channels evenly spaced within a certain frequency range. The newer 80 channel units operate within the same frequency range but have the extra 40 channels in between the original 40 channels, I hope that makes sense.
As a user it means you have a much better chance of finding a clear channel.

Just to confuse you even more, on the current 40 channel UHF band channels 1 - 8 are repeater channels, so you only use these when you want to access a repeater. A repeater is a base station that picks up your signal, amplifies it and retransmits it to increase the range of transmission. BUT, when you use a repeater you utilize the duplex feature on your UHF, where it automatically transmits on say channel 1, but recieves on channel 31. 2 & 32, 3 & 33 etc. So you should NEVER choose channels 30 - 38 for general transmission.
So now your 40 channel UHF only actually has 24 general transmission (or simplex) channels. Of those 24 channels building sites, trucking companies, traffic controllers etc all have their chosen channels and it starts to get a bit crowded. The benefits of an extra 40 channels is obvious. The second pic should help explain how duplex and repeaters work. If you click on the attached thumbnails it will enlarge them.

Have I thoroughly confused you yet?

Tony
Iknew what it did, but not having my set in front of me I couldn't instantly recall Duplex/simplex as I hardly use it anymore.
Nice discussion and I have saved your attachments too.You're a natural at explaining this easily. I know this stuff and still couldn't say it as well as you. (but I didn't know out on 1 in on 30 stuff)

lawnbowls
27th January 2011, 09:26 PM
Night Gary , glad to have you here , look forward to chattin, and as for UHF I'd stick with Uniden.

BTW were you the one on the phone to president for 3 hours. LOL
Wrong guy .... that was the other new guy.....

lawnbowls
27th January 2011, 09:28 PM
Welcome Gary from the apparent oldest member (although some might not be telling their Age).
Have not taken up Lawn Bowls yet as I believe it is a dangerous Sport. Something to do with having the highest death rate whilst participating. LOL
All jokes aside congrats on your intro and enjoy

Hi Bob, Bendigo ehhh .... I was born there in Golden Square way back when ....

lawnbowls
27th January 2011, 09:29 PM
Damn what an intro thread. Welcome to the forum Gary. Good to have another local onboard

Hey Dhuck..... I live in Munruben .... not far from Marsden ... thanks for the welcome

lawnbowls
27th January 2011, 09:31 PM
Hi Gary, Welcome 2 the forum mate, here is a link to your question, hope it helps

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2107-How-to-edit-your-Avatar-and-Profile-Picture&highlight=avatar

Any problems just yell out and someone will help you out.

Cheers

Todd

Thanks for the link ... hopefully catch yu up on the forum, some time....regards
Gary

DX grunt
27th January 2011, 09:33 PM
Welcome back lawnbowls. I reckon you've set the record - the most introduction responses - 8 pages in about an hour and a quarter. Well done, bro.

How's the coffee and bundi tasting tonight? lol

Ross

lawnbowls
27th January 2011, 09:36 PM
G'Day Gary, welcome to the forum mate.
Great start with over 70 posts on your intro...

Thanks Nisspat .... catch yu another time??

damianovdd
27th January 2011, 11:08 PM
How do you refresh the page ..??

just press the "F5" on your keyboard to refresh the page.

Finly Owner
13th February 2011, 11:10 PM
Where the hell have you Gone Gary?

YNOT
13th February 2011, 11:36 PM
Hopefully he'll be at the meeting next Monday so we can stir him up a bit and get him back on line.

Tony

Finly Owner
14th February 2011, 12:02 AM
Hopefully he'll be at the meeting next Monday so we can stir him up a bit and get him back on line.

Tony
Yeah that should do it