PDA

View Full Version : Fuel gauge not working in my mav

elmo4eva
30th December 2013, 06:06 PM
Hey all just wondering how to fix a fuel gauge its not working

Yendor
31st December 2013, 10:38 AM
Start by checking the fuse for the warning lamps and gauges. Does it have power on both sides of the fuse with the ignition on?

Do the other gauges and warning lights in the instrument cluster work?

In the rear floor, above the fuel tank, there is an inspection plate. This enables access to the fuel sender without having to drop the fuel tank. Remove this cover and you will see the wires for the fuel gauge....should be a yellow with a black trace wire and a black wire. Disconnect the plug from the fuel tank and with some wire or paper clip (just don't damage the pins in the plug) join the yellow with a black trace wire and the black wire together. Ignition on the fuel gauge should now read full? if it doesn't try connection the yellow with a black trace wire straight to ground.

If the gauge does read full you will need to remove the fuel sender unit from the tank and make sure the float is still connected and hasn't fallen off. Then perform resistance checks as per attachment.

If the gauge doesn't read full you will need to remove the instrument cluster and check continuity of the yellow with a black trace wire.

93patrol
31st December 2013, 10:40 AM
your a bloody guru Yendor

jack
31st December 2013, 11:05 AM
your a bloody guru Yendor

Never ceases to amaze me

my third 256
1st January 2014, 09:55 AM
what about a bad earth

elmo4eva
4th January 2014, 09:42 PM
Start by checking the fuse for the warning lamps and gauges. Does it have power on both sides of the fuse with the ignition on?

Do the other gauges and warning lights in the instrument cluster work?

In the rear floor, above the fuel tank, there is an inspection plate. This enables access to the fuel sender without having to drop the fuel tank. Remove this cover and you will see the wires for the fuel gauge....should be a yellow with a black trace wire and a black wire. Disconnect the plug from the fuel tank and with some wire or paper clip (just don't damage the pins in the plug) join the yellow with a black trace wire and the black wire together. Ignition on the fuel gauge should now read full? if it doesn't try connection the yellow with a black trace wire straight to ground.

If the gauge does read full you will need to remove the fuel sender unit from the tank and make sure the float is still connected and hasn't fallen off. Then perform resistance checks as per attachment.

If the gauge doesn't read full you will need to remove the instrument cluster and check continuity of the yellow with a black trace wire.

hey mate yer i checked that i had a yellow wire with a green trace and a plane yellow wire and a earth only thing worked wen i put the yellow and green wire together with the eath as the fuel light and when i checked the yellow and earth the gauge went up so u think i should check the fuel sensor

Yendor
4th January 2014, 11:16 PM
Yes you will need to pull the fuel sender out and check it.

Your fuel gauge reading full when you joined the Yellow wire and earth together means that everything is good from the fuel gauge down to the tank (don't worry about the colour being slightly different, wiring diagrams aren't always correct).

The low fuel light coming on when you joined the Yellow with a green trace wire to earth is normal.

Cheers Rodney