PDA

View Full Version : Electric exhaust brake

Seanz
30th December 2013, 04:43 PM
Hi guys, anyone had dealings with a bolt on for safer decent towing
Its a ZD 30 IV 2007 CRD Auto, electronic rather than vacuum cheers

threedogs
30th December 2013, 05:45 PM
I posed this question after I first joined , seems its way too expensive from memory

BillsGU
30th December 2013, 05:46 PM
Exhaust brake wouldn't work too well on an auto. Spend your money on better rotors, pads and callipers if you want better braking.

threedogs
30th December 2013, 06:33 PM
He may mean better engine braking, but better rotors and pads
do help heaps as I've just changed to dimple drilled and slotted all around

Seanz
30th December 2013, 07:33 PM
Hi guys, stopping is not the problem its traveling down
hills, engine braking would be nice after coming from a manual

mudnut
30th December 2013, 07:47 PM
Is it not advisable to drop the auto back a few cogs, or does it do damage in the long term?? I used to put the old falcon sludge box into second, coming down through the Black Forest and it seemed to handle it ok.

P4trol
30th December 2013, 08:36 PM
Depending on the vehicle though, it often will often change down and continue the same speed but higher rpm. Some newer auto vehicles have smarts where they control the engine (with three of four presses of the brake pedal going downhill) (by retarding timing? to produce a slight engine braking effect).

How does an auto patrol handle downhill if you change back?

the evil twin
30th December 2013, 08:38 PM
Seeing as it is the flavour of the week topic... A switch to lock the TC means you then have the engine braking of a manual tranny. Worked gangbusters on my GQ and made a big difference

Seanz
30th December 2013, 10:54 PM
The dropping back is ok I just thought of higher oil temperature in gear box over long
Hauls down steep inclines but yes placing back to lower gear works

menace 2
31st December 2013, 12:32 AM
Seeing as it is the flavour of the week topic... A switch to lock the TC means you then have the engine braking of a manual tranny. Worked gangbusters on my GQ and made a big difference

what is the "TC" and what is the switch for the gq ?

the evil twin
31st December 2013, 02:00 AM
what is the "TC" and what is the switch for the gq ?

TC is Torque Converter.

On auto Patrols, if you put a switch in the wiring to the lock up solenoid it locks the Torque Converter so there is now no slip between engine and gearbox.

threedogs
31st December 2013, 08:04 AM
Its the torque converter Search on info by Chaz yellowfoot, There is a small loom you can pre make
Let everyone know how you go