PDA

View Full Version : Any Garden / Landscape Guru's here... need to identify this plant.

Hodge
28th December 2013, 03:31 PM
As the topic states is there any garden / plant / landscape guru's around. I need to identify this plant as quick as we're getting all the bits and pieces for our front delivered within days and i need to put these around. Seen and took a photo of it the other day. Searched around and come up with nothing. Any clues?

http://imageshack.us/a/img585/3826/30xz.png

MudRunnerTD
28th December 2013, 03:34 PM
It's an Agavi or something like that. It's a succulent and you can cut it off and re plant it at will

MudRunnerTD
28th December 2013, 03:46 PM
Definitely AGAVI

AB
28th December 2013, 03:46 PM
Yeah or agave, can't remember how to spell them.

Hardy as...

Clunk
28th December 2013, 03:48 PM
Yep it's an Agavi, I only know that coz we have them at the front og the house, they grow at will and can get bloomin big indeed.

NP99
28th December 2013, 03:49 PM
It's an Agavi or something like that. It's a succulent and you can cut it off and re plant it at will

Close mate, Agave :)

growler2058
28th December 2013, 03:51 PM
Thatd be the one agave tequilas made from??

NP99
28th December 2013, 03:52 PM
Thatd be the one agave tequilas made from??

Probably......a lot of jungle juice is made from cactus.....

MudRunnerTD
28th December 2013, 03:53 PM
Close mate, Agave :)

Yeah that's how I spelt it originally then did a Google image search and predominantly spelt Agavi on the gardening sites. Agave sounds right too though.

Hodge you should have no trouble finding them mate with either spelling though I reckon.

AB
28th December 2013, 04:02 PM
Big ones are expensive and take a while to grow.

threedogs
28th December 2013, 04:05 PM
x6 with the rest, agavi, very low maintenance
one behind is bird of paradise or strezlecki

Hodge
28th December 2013, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the prompt responses! I did see that name in my searching on plant websites but, they looked different but there are different types hence why i dismissed it as agave.

FatBoyzInc
29th December 2013, 09:16 AM
These come in a lot of different types. The one pictured has fairly soft leaves and no spikes, while the americana agave has the nastiest spikes on the tips and almost a saw blade down the edges of the leaves. Very painful, I was weeding one day, lost balance and fell backwards into the damn thing. Result was a bit nightmare on elm street. The main plant will throw pups which can be cut off and replanted. Biggest problem is when they flower. The flowers are huge, one of ours was about twenty feet high. When flowering the plant devotes all nutrients etc to the flower and after the flower is fully developed (sometimes 6 to 12 months) the main plant dies. Then you have to remove a really big, ugly, dead thing and take it to the dump.

FatBoyzInc
29th December 2013, 09:18 AM
Forgot to mention the sap. I recall the one pictured is not too bad, but some of the others, the sap is almost like battery acid. If you get it on your skin, wash it off straight away. Burns like a bastard and results in a horrible rash.