PDA

View Full Version : mounting a 7 inch tablet in a GQ

GQ TANK
28th December 2013, 12:57 PM
I have been using a Samsung TAB 2 7" to run OZIEXPLORER. The Samsung have internal GPS receivers.

The problem has been where / how to mount the tablet. I had also looked at using a laptop with a remote touch screen.

I hate the suction mounts, as they also let go.

I purchased a RAM Mount for the Samsung 7" off a ebay seller for $50, plus had some ram brackets from work. The seller has other brackets ie 10" tablet

I tried mounting the tablet off the OMG handle, but found the tablet vibrated and made it hard to read.

I have now mounted the tablet to the left centre air vent, using a right angle bracket from Bunning's . I used existing 2 console mounting screws located just above the air vent, with the bracket slipping into the top part of the air vent. using longer screws has resulted in restriction of the air vent, but also mounting the tablet in this position enables the aircon to cool the tablet on hot days.

This tablet is in a perfect spot, and I have not drilled any holes into the dash

I'm using a USB cig adaptor to run power, plus connect run music via the 3.5mm audio plug. I have downloaded a point to point GPS program for normal driving.

89gqpatrol4x4
30th December 2013, 08:58 AM
nice mate. Not too high as to restrict your view good work.

slamnsam
2nd February 2014, 10:36 AM
good stuff keep up the good work

BigRAWesty
2nd February 2014, 11:41 AM
Nice mate.
Another idea I've seen is making a block which fits snug into the ash tray slot, then mount the ram mount ball to that..
But good to see different ideas..

Robo
10th May 2014, 06:22 PM
In Aldi the other day, they have a 10" tablet stand, $15. 00
ya know like a music stand.
it holds onto device similar to the 7" version above.
might be usefull to someone trying to mod something up.

Majestic
21st October 2014, 10:02 PM
Another option is forking out for one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbXIPaUm4p4
http://www.tallonsystems.com/products/view/tallon_ram_universal_x_grip_ii_7_tablet_holder/

I came across them today and it's a contraption that fits into a blank/switch slot and then this holder locks into it. They also have cup holders that fit the same locking mechanism, so easy swap out on those hot summer days. I was looking for a USB blank/switch to fit into one of the switch locators, which these guys also offer. It's going on my to-do/buy list.