PDA

View Full Version : What are those big cables?

paddywagon
27th December 2013, 08:36 AM
G'day all and Merry Christmas!
From the front of the truck looking at the engine bay, on the left hand side up the back of the engine (TD42) I have what looks like some kind of sensor screwed into the manifold with large cables (approx. 6mm2) which were attached (now snapped off) to it. Any chance someone could please tell me what this is for?

paddywagon
27th December 2013, 08:38 AM
Also, as I have mentioned in another post I have a cold start issue where the trucks coughs and splutters and pumps smoke until it warms up. I was hoping maybe this had something to do with it as I have already replaced the glow plugs.
Cheers,
Pat

Yendor
27th December 2013, 09:11 AM
That's part of your glow plug circuit.

There's a resistor thats mounted in the manifold that drops voltage to the glow plugs and also helps heat the air inside the manifold during second stage heating.

paddywagon
27th December 2013, 01:04 PM
Fantastic news mate! Thank you very much! Do you by any chance know the name of the part so I can start chasing one down? Do you think this being disconnected would be the ultimate cause of the symptoms I have described? (Rough cold start even with brand new plugs)

Cheers,
Pat

Yendor
27th December 2013, 04:33 PM
I think Nissan know it as a glow resistor. It's not fitted to all TD42s.

It shouldn't have any affect starting a cold engine. Without it, the engine may run rough once started until it warms up a bit though.

It may cause rough starting when the engine temperature is warm.

nissannewby
27th December 2013, 06:52 PM
Shouldn't have any effect on cold starts as you say Yendor. I have an engine here with that disconnected and it starts and runs fine cold. I would check connections, earths, glow plug relay and the glow plug timer. That "resistor" thing isn't really needed.

It could also be a fuel issue where the fuel is draining back over night and this would cos rough cold starts. The smallest amount of air ingress will cause issues.