PDA

View Full Version : Zd30 squeal

dirtygu
25th December 2013, 10:54 PM
Hey everyone hope everyone had a great day I just have a question today my patrol developed a squeal at full throttle from turbo side of engine car has become sluggish and have nearky no boost like 3 psi anyone had this problem before hope its not the turbo

Sir Roofy
25th December 2013, 11:04 PM
hey everyone hope everyone had a great day i just have a question today my patrol developed a squeal at full throttle from turbo side of engine car has become sluggish and have nearky no boost like 3 psi anyone had this problem before hope its not the turbo

check your i/c and hoses could be leaking or cracked loose hoses

mudski
26th December 2013, 12:15 AM
Take the intake hose off the turbo and see if the impeller spins good and is tight. Also check for the usual as old man river suggested.

PATROL KING
26th December 2013, 07:02 AM
It`s the pin starting to come out

Then whem it falls all the way out.......

KABOOM

threedogs
26th December 2013, 07:08 AM
You haven't cracked the EGR pipe, or warped the manifold.
You'll be blowing clouds of black smoke if you have popped a boost hose off.

What year do you drive??

megatexture
26th December 2013, 09:46 AM
When mine did this it was the exhaust manifold

dirtygu
26th December 2013, 10:28 AM
Patrol king pin for what I cant see the image its a 02 gu2 just rebuilt the engine 1500km ago I have the egr blocked so would it still b that

Hodge
26th December 2013, 11:17 AM
Patrol king pin for what I cant see the image its a 02 gu2 just rebuilt the engine 1500km ago I have the egr blocked so would it still b that

He was throwing a "grenade" joke at ya mate. It's a thing you learn to cop with 3L's. I get it all the time. LOL

On a serious note mate, does the "squeal" you get rise up and down in pitch with turbo spooling up and down? I have a slightly similar thing on my CRD. I don't lose power or boost though unless it's really hot.

Read my post here, is it anything like that?
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?22050-3L-CRD-Turbo-busted-or-leaking

dirtygu
26th December 2013, 11:42 AM
He was throwing a "grenade" joke at ya mate. It's a thing you learn to cop with 3L's. I get it all the time. LOL

On a serious note mate, does the "squeal" you get rise up and down in pitch with turbo spooling up and down? I have a slightly similar thing on my CRD. I don't lose power or boost though unless it's really hot.

Read my post here, is it anything like that?
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?22050-3L-CRD-Turbo-busted-or-leaking

Thanks mate yeah sound like the same problem u have or had have u fixed it it wasnt that bad untill I did a 250km drive out to the family farm then noticed the car was gutless and had to sit on 80kph all the way back home boost also dropped now its under 4psi no smoking or anything other unusual just no real boost and this anoying sound harder I press the loud pedal worse it is

Hodge
26th December 2013, 11:59 AM
Thanks mate yeah sound like the same problem u have or had have u fixed it it wasnt that bad untill I did a 250km drive out to the family farm then noticed the car was gutless and had to sit on 80kph all the way back home boost also dropped now its under 4psi no smoking or anything other unusual just no real boost and this anoying sound harder I press the loud pedal worse it is

I haven't fixed mine yet, as I still don't know 100% what it is. If you read further into that thread, I mentioned that I had it put on the dyno under a bit of load while the mechanics had their heads under the hood trying to figure out what it is. We looked all over the engine. IC isn't leaking as there isn't oil anywhere. The mechanic seems to think mine one is a mechanical noise of sorts, something inside the snail maybe. He also thinks if it was an EGR or exhaust leak it would be quiet obvious as there would be an exhaust stain wherever the leak is, but there is none anywhere that can be seen.

And as I said above, I don't loose power and/or boost as much as you do. My boost jumps up to 16-17 no dramas.

threedogs
26th December 2013, 12:01 PM
Don't think the worse yet look at what mega suggests,
if exhaust is leaking at the manifold it cant make boost

Hodge
26th December 2013, 12:03 PM
Also forgot to mention, that if it is the common issue of EGR pipe warped or cracked which sits smack in the middle of the rear of the engine and it's an absolute bitch to get to. The way to eliminate it is to block the EGR and depending on where you block it, the noise will either go away completely or be 5x louder. So I've been told anyway. My EGR is still unblocked so I don't know yet.

threedogs
26th December 2013, 12:10 PM
you would block it at the top where it comes out,
cant see the point blocking the other end.

Sir Roofy
26th December 2013, 01:25 PM
exhaust manifold needs a shave did mine a couple of years ago its probably warped
not a cheap job labour wise

have checked the belt tensioner

threedogs
26th December 2013, 01:36 PM
Good call Roofy but can't see that causing the lack of power

Hodge
26th December 2013, 02:47 PM
exhaust manifold needs a shave did mine a couple of years ago its probably warped
not a cheap job labour wise

have checked the belt tensioner

Just curious what the labour wallet damage was mate ? Looks like a prick of a job.

megatexture
26th December 2013, 03:44 PM
Just curious what the labour wallet damage was mate ? Looks like a prick of a job.

Mine was done under warranty but was a prick of a job apparently as it needs to be removed and machined , try and find someone that can do it in house as nissan had to out source to get it done.

nissannewby
26th December 2013, 08:53 PM
It certainly sounds like an exhaust or boost leak. Check for black sooty marks in the exhaust area and egr pipe. It could also be a boost leak, cracked intercooler, loose clamps or split hose etc etc.

dirtygu
27th December 2013, 11:46 AM
Well I found out what the squeal was its a blown turbo manifold gasket replaced it but still lacking power in 3rd gear by the time I hit 40 doesnt make sence its like the more I push the pedal down the slower it goes like its holding back and hesitant to rev up if I drive at 80kph in 4th or 5th and flaten it takes ages to do anything reves and speed stay the same for about 600m

threedogs
27th December 2013, 11:50 AM
Sound s like you may have some error showing, disconnect the battery for half an hour and try it again.
You may still need to get any errors cleared, you are getting limp mode by the sound of it

dirtygu
27th December 2013, 12:37 PM
How do I get it out of limp mode I know my egr is stuffed but I have that blocked off and its been like that for the last 1500km its only been in " limp mode " since wensday

mudski
27th December 2013, 12:59 PM
Try disconnecting the battery as TD suggested. Do you have a dawes valve fitted?

dirtygu
27th December 2013, 01:31 PM
Nuh have not fitted the dawes yet

threedogs
27th December 2013, 01:34 PM
You'll need to fit the NADS set up to limit your boost.
Whats yours again, 15psi tops for a Di diesel
PM Mudski for what you need,
after you disconnect the battery it may be ok until you floor it and it'll go into limp mode again
until you can control the boost

dirtygu
27th December 2013, 01:53 PM
I did hit 18psi last night on about quarter throttle lol I just reconected the battery and wiped the codes took it for a drive the only code that keeps comming up it 1003 whats that ????

dirtygu
27th December 2013, 02:02 PM
Ok found out 1003 is egr would that make me loose power if its blocked off

threedogs
27th December 2013, 03:06 PM
I think its showing that BECAUSE its blocked, and not working
That's my take on it. sounds feasible eh
You don't need big boost on these Di motors 15 psi tops with
the peak spike to 20 psi now and again

dirtygu
27th December 2013, 03:18 PM
But would that code make the engine not run properly

threedogs
27th December 2013, 03:28 PM
yes would be my answer but Yendor would be able to tell you for sure,
when mine went into limp mode it was my CPS showing the error don't know why.
plus a real PITA to change as well. fitted NADS {Boots} and haven't looked back since
it going like a bought one. LOL

dirtygu
27th December 2013, 05:02 PM
So should I change egr or get rest of my nads done or take out the blanking plate

Sir Roofy
27th December 2013, 05:56 PM
so should i change egr or get rest of my nads done or take out the blanking plate

do the nads mate

Hodge
27th December 2013, 07:26 PM
Well I found out what the squeal was its a blown turbo manifold gasket

Glad you found out the issue mate.
I myself had a good look under the hood and under the engine today again for black sooty crap around the egr and exhaust area like nissannewby suggested and saw nothing! Mind you things are so busy under there and cramped it's next to impossible to see every nook and cranny!
Revving the engine on idle is useless as the noise that I have only picks up during load/boost.
Very annoying.

mudski
27th December 2013, 07:44 PM
So was it doing this prior to blocking the EGR? Sorry I can't remember if you said or not. If not, try removing the plate and having a go. Also, while its not real common, some CRD's need a small hole drilled in the plate to equalise the pressure in the EGR so it thinks its still working.

Hodge
27th December 2013, 07:50 PM
So was it doing this prior to blocking the EGR? Sorry I can't remember if you said or not. If not, try removing the plate and having a go. Also, while its not real common, some CRD's need a small hole drilled in the plate to equalise the pressure in the EGR so it thinks its still working.

If you're question is towards me mate...
Mine's been doing it since day one of bringing it home. It hasn't gotten better or worse. And no my EGR still not blocked. Still gotta apply that and the valves.
I'm thinking of blocking it temporarily just to see if this sound goes away. This way it'll eliminate or confirm if it's the EGR pipe being cracked/warped. But I doubt it's the EGR personally.

dirtygu
27th December 2013, 08:04 PM
I didnt have any soot or anything around my exhaust area it just had a split in the gasket didnt find it till I took the turbo off

As for the egr its been on the engine for the last 1500km since I did the rebuild and has been fine had the fault code the whole time tho havent had this problem unless the egr is evenmore stuffed and now it just wont work at all so the car is in limp mode

dirtygu
28th December 2013, 05:36 PM
What would happen if I disconnect the afm would it stall

Hodge
28th December 2013, 06:14 PM
Here is a quick sound file I recorded just before. You can hear that whistling / air-gushing sound is very distinct in my case. You can't miss it and mistake it. Deep down in that is actually a nice clean turbo whistle buried and muffled under that "whatever it is" sound. As I said earlier, mine happens regardless whether engine is hot/cold, regardless of revs or gears. It goes perfectly in-line with boost / turbo spool up. The more boost, the louder the sound is.

http://audiour.com/playlist/akyj1fux

The important part of the file is from about 3 - 12 seconds . The rest isn't so clear as it got windy.

mudski
28th December 2013, 09:41 PM
If you're question is towards me mate...
Mine's been doing it since day one of bringing it home. It hasn't gotten better or worse. And no my EGR still not blocked. Still gotta apply that and the valves.
I'm thinking of blocking it temporarily just to see if this sound goes away. This way it'll eliminate or confirm if it's the EGR pipe being cracked/warped. But I doubt it's the EGR personally.

Directed to the OP mate. As for you, when you need a hand. Let me know.

dirtygu
29th December 2013, 01:03 PM
If I have a.dirty afm would it do.the same.thing and not run properly if I.disconnect should.I.be able.to.drive the car like.normal or.would it not be drivable

threedogs
29th December 2013, 01:10 PM
Got 2 going on the one thread, first @ Hodge this gave mine a pituu sound you can see the crap weld the guy did at the exhaust place failed next to the weld on the dump pipe
@ dirtygu by afm do you mean Air flow meter. OR MAF as we call it ,
spray heaps with MAF cleaner from Super cheap allow to dry and re-install.
Again only do one thing at a time that way you'll know what it is, by doing two you'll never know what the problem was

dirtygu
29th December 2013, 01:36 PM
Yeah Maf mate.I.disconnected mine and the car still runs the.same makes no.difference if it's connected or not

threedogs
29th December 2013, 02:17 PM
I disconnected the boost sensor when I changed my IC,, drove home not knowing,
made no difference whats so ever,

dirtygu
29th December 2013, 02:23 PM
Hmmmm does it mean.it's dirty.or.is.it broken what else can.make the car loose.power at about 3000Rpm but boost goes up car just hesitates

Hodge
29th December 2013, 06:19 PM
Got 2 going on the one thread, first @ Hodge this gave mine a pituu sound you can see the crap weld the guy did at the exhaust place failed next to the weld on the dump pipe
@ dirtygu by afm do you mean Air flow meter. OR MAF as we call it ,
spray heaps with MAF cleaner from Super cheap allow to dry and re-install.
Again only do one thing at a time that way you'll know what it is, by doing two you'll never know what the problem was

Thanks td. I checked and re-checked all of that. Mine is a brand new dump pipe, came with the beaudesert exhaust, but mine's been doing it even before the exhaust upgrade, so it's something else.

dirtygu
30th December 2013, 11:44 PM
Ok so I cleaned my maf today but the cars still the same would anything else make it loose power but not throw the engine light uo

threedogs
31st December 2013, 07:10 AM
I'm out of ideas, TEST 1 disconnect the battery for 1 hr.
if it runs ok till you put your foot down ,its going into limp mode,

You'll need to fit a dawes valve, You could hook up a temporary boost gauge to set

dirtygu
31st December 2013, 11:41 AM
Thanks td I have been reading on some overseas forums n they say to get it out of limp ya have to connect it to a a scan tool is this true its like I have the symptoms of limp mode as I think it over boosted on the freeway but when I put my foot of the pedal then back on it didnt come back on the gas still just hessitated

threedogs
31st December 2013, 11:48 AM
You said engine light a few posts back that suggests a blocked fuel system or dirty fuel filter.
Disconnecting the battery should be enough to re-set the ECU and there fore limp mode.

dirtygu
31st December 2013, 08:26 PM
Engine light was I had a blow fuse for the egr that I needed to replace done that but it is still kinda in limp mode

dirtygu
2nd January 2014, 02:06 PM
Ok have had a closer look at the car it has a small amount of white grey smoke what could that be also still have the non power over 3k rpm

threedogs
2nd January 2014, 02:12 PM
Hate to be bearer of bad news but white/grey smoke would mean a stuffed turbo.
Maybe some others could confirm this

dirtygu
2nd January 2014, 02:30 PM
Would that b why I still have boost but no power

threedogs
2nd January 2014, 02:58 PM
Are you able to get your fingers in there to turn it and see if it feels nice and free.

dirtygu
2nd January 2014, 06:06 PM
Ok will do ill give it a try

dirtygu
3rd January 2014, 01:40 AM
Turbo seams fine :(

threedogs
3rd January 2014, 07:20 AM
HHHmmmmm I'm out of ideas,. when mine was going into limp mode it kept throwing up the error code
for the Crank position sensor. PITA to remove. Is yours throwing up ant error codes??

PATROL KING
3rd January 2014, 07:27 AM
Ok have had a closer look at the car it has a small amount of white grey smoke what could that be also still have the non power over 3k rpm

White smoke = water burning in combustion chamber .. possible cracked head ...or blown head gasket... have u overheated before these problems arose...

dirtygu
4th January 2014, 10:47 AM
Yeah it did over heat but not that bad got just over half would explain where my coolant has gone but thats been leaking somewhere for a while and I just did a new head and gasket

threedogs
4th January 2014, 01:47 PM
you are leaking coolant and have for a while and you don't know where its going is that right ??