PDA

View Full Version : A few questions / advice on rear axle oil seals

malcolm
22nd December 2013, 02:28 PM
Hi everyone , long time since I posted anything - the old truck (4.2 diesel Maverick LWB, 350,000km) just keeps on going.

However , I just replaced for the second time in a year , the drivers side rear inner axle oil seal. Diff oil was running down the brake back plate etc.

Put the new seal in square , repacked bearing as best I could without removing it and we'll see how it goes. No big trips planned so just running around locally.

Seems quite a few people have a similar problem from other posts . At some point even if all goes well I'll still have to pull the shaft again and / or get help to remove check and replace the bearing. Don't want a problem miles from anywhere.

Any thoughts on why this happens - ? : Either the bearing is worn allowing the shaft to wear out the seal early or the new genuine nissan ebay seals are dodgy ? ( usual looking seal with metal surround , inner spring etc. )

Also , more for my education , I'm not really clear why there is diff oil in the axle tube in the first place - obviously the tube isn't full of diff oil - just a little comes out when I pull the shaft . So does the oil get past an inner seal on the diff itself. Not explained in my manual and I'm curious .

Also, can't find link to pics on servicing front hubs (Tony?)- anyone point me in the right direction !

Cheers and a very happy Christmas to all