PDA

View Full Version : Permanently setting up trickle charger.

BLKWDW
22nd December 2013, 09:28 AM
I have one of those 12 volt 1.5kw trickle charges for the patrol. Seeing as the patrol only gets used when going away it spends alot of time sitting at home. I'm wondering if i can permanently hook up the trickle charger at all so i dont have to set it up and pack it up everytime i park up.

TheFlyingBadger
22nd December 2013, 10:01 AM
cut the leads and put an anderson plug on it. then you leave the charger plugged in at home, and just plug the 12v into the trol when you park up. the anderson can be done so that it's pluggable without having to open the bonnet. you can even use a anderson extension lead to give extra reach.

Bloodyaussie
22nd December 2013, 10:04 AM
My charger has an adapter that I can just leave bolted to the battery and all I do is plug the car in... easy!!!

BLKWDW
22nd December 2013, 10:05 AM
i was thinking more along the lines of having the panel mounted on top of the dash cluster inbetween the windscreen and dash, cutting of the alligator clips soldering on some lugs and mounting to the battery terminals permanently.

BLKWDW
22nd December 2013, 10:06 AM
My charger has an adapter that I can just leave bolted to the battery and all I do is plug the car in... easy!!!

Mine has alligator clips or 12 volt socket plug

Stropp
22nd December 2013, 11:08 AM
My 12v charger has either alligator clips or the eyelets that can be left in place and just pull the joiner apart for when you want to drive, it's a motorcycle one that comes with both so very convenient if you have more then one vehicle it's just a matter of unplugging and swapping around.

MudRunnerTD
22nd December 2013, 11:10 AM
Ghee do you really need it on the dash? Can't imagine why? Under the bonnet or under the passenger seat for the win but an Anderson plug would be the go for me

threedogs
22nd December 2013, 12:09 PM
Just finished doing exactly what you want to do. 50amp Anderson plug on top of bulbar.
Then ran the wires to the AUX battery via a 30amp circuit breaker, Took 10 mins.
I'm using my outlet as a 12v outlet for camp or a way to recharge my AUX via a solar panel

nipagu7
22nd December 2013, 12:15 PM
I really hope you mean you have a 1.5 amp charger and not 1.5 kw . but anyhow I would think it would be ok , although Cuppa would be the one to talk to on this one.

BLKWDW
22nd December 2013, 12:52 PM
My 12v charger has either alligator clips or the eyelets that can be left in place and just pull the joiner apart for when you want to drive, it's a motorcycle one that comes with both so very convenient if you have more then one vehicle it's just a matter of unplugging and swapping around.
thats what i'm looking at doing. But do you have to unplug the charger?

Ghee do you really need it on the dash? Can't imagine why? Under the bonnet or under the passenger seat for the win but an Anderson plug would be the go for me
Whats the go with this?

Just finished doing exactly what you want to do. 50amp Anderson plug on top of bulbar.
Then ran the wires to the AUX battery via a 30amp circuit breaker, Took 10 mins.
I'm using my outlet as a 12v outlet for camp or a way to recharge my AUX via a solar panel
I'm looking to charge my starting battery not aux battery. I'm getting a solar panel to charge the aux battery when camping.

I really hope you mean you have a 1.5 amp charger and not 1.5 kw . but anyhow I would think it would be ok , although Cuppa would be the one to talk to on this one.
sorry yeh 1.5watt not 1.5kw.

GQ TANK
22nd December 2013, 07:59 PM
I use trickre chargers on my trucks at work.

if you have a dual battery setup that works on volts to switch, and you connect the charger to the main battery. The trickle chrager will charge both batterys.

The chargers are permantly mounted.

megatexture
22nd December 2013, 08:12 PM
I would do the Anderson on the bull bar to the cranker personally.
I don't see any issue with unplugging the charger when not in use without turning it off but that's easy ... Read the chargers manual , if you can't find it google it and it will be online, Alternatively just buy a cheap trickle charger so if it dies its easily replaced.

Winnie
22nd December 2013, 09:04 PM
Yeah I'm another vote for the Anderson plug on the bullbar. All you've gotta do when you wanna drive away is unplug and flick it off, when you come home plug it in and switch it on, and you don't have to worry about permanently mounted chargers in the Patrol.

BLKWDW
28th December 2013, 08:42 AM
I already have a cheap trickle charger that i'm using. A $30 solar one from repco. I bought some little lugst so will cut of the alligator clips and solder on the lugs and mount the battery. Run wiring back through the firewall and prob just left it plugged in all the time sitting on top of the dash cluster. I can disconnect via the plug half way along if needed.

threedogs
28th December 2013, 08:51 AM
Same thing just run it to your start battery

megatexture
28th December 2013, 08:54 AM
I already have a cheap trickle charger that i'm using. A $30 solar one from repco. I bought some little lugst so will cut of the alligator clips and solder on the lugs and mount the battery. Run wiring back through the firewall and prob just left it plugged in all the time sitting on top of the dash cluster. I can disconnect via the plug half way along if needed.

That's prob the cheapest option... Lol

How's it look ?

Cuppa
28th December 2013, 10:17 AM
I noticed the 1.5kW :).

At 1.5w I reckon an anderson plug is overkill +++ A 1.5w /12v panel’s output is going to be in miliamps.
A panel that small will not need any regulator either.
Go to Jaycar or similar & get any small insulated plug & socket which can take 2 wires & connect direct to the battery terminals & place the socket wherever is convenient & unobtrusive. Connect plug to panel, & plug in whenever suits. Don’t expect a panel this size to charge the battery, but it should hopefully be enough to prevent self discharge i.e.. keep it charged as left provided you have no ‘phantom loads’ when ignition is switched off.

This is the small plug I have on a motorcycle, supplied with a mains trickle charger. Something similar will be fine for your 1.5w panel.

threedogs
28th December 2013, 11:06 AM
correct those small one are in milli amps forgotten how many but not much .
its enough to get your battery moving and not sulphuring up.

the evil twin
28th December 2013, 11:18 PM
A 1.5 Watt Lead Acid Charger?

Dang that is a small current flow... somewhere less than 100 ma but better than the 1.5 killawasp version ;)

I'm with Cuppa... No way I'd use an Anderson Plug for a current flow that small. The slightest bit of resistance across the contacts will kill the charging current

Smallest Charger I use on all my 12 and 24 volt remote gear is the 0.8 Amp Cteks. Great bits of kit.

mudnut
1st February 2016, 05:40 PM
I now have one of those 1.5w solar chargers to keep the ride-on mower battery fresh. From what I can gather from this thread is that it is ok to leave it connected to the Patrol for weeks at a time. Has anyone had any problems with doing that?

the evil twin
1st February 2016, 06:07 PM
I now have one of those 1.5w solar chargers to keep the ride-on mower battery fresh. From what I can gather from this thread is that it is ok to leave it connected to the Patrol for weeks at a time. Has anyone had any problems with doing that?

Won't hurt anything in the slightest... assuming it has a blocking diode so it won't back feed when the Sun ain't shinin'

mudnut
1st February 2016, 06:09 PM
Yeah, it stated on the package it had a blocking diode. I was just wondering if it would over charge the battery?

Interesting to note that the open circuit voltage is 21volts

the evil twin
1st February 2016, 10:51 PM
Yeah, it stated on the package it had a blocking diode. I was just wondering if it would over charge the battery?

Interesting to note that the open circuit voltage is 21volts

Goodo... and... yes the open circuit voltage should be 18 ish to 21 ish depending on the technology of the cells regardless of wattage (for 12 Volt nominal Panels that is).

clubbyr8
2nd February 2016, 06:03 PM
This what I use for my CTEK. They're located in that strip on the centre console. Middle panel monitors the cranking battery and the bottom one monitors the auxiliary battery. Leds give a rough idea of the state of charge. If I need to charge either battery, I just plug the CTEK into the appropriate panel....

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/02/21.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CMfEfe)20160202_181835 (https://flic.kr/p/CMfEfe) by Bob Howard (https://www.flickr.com/photos/clubbyr8v8/), on Flickr